Can you spot a persons age by the way they type?

Moondrelor

So the title says it, can you typically get a sense for how old someone else by the way they type? If not how old they are, then their typical behavior?

I sure can, and it bothers me when kids try to act all grown up and end up making themselves sound stupid. 

Depends on the person. Sometimes it's pretty much impossible to tell. Just out of curiosity, can you tell how old I am from this post?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Depends on the person. Sometimes it's pretty much impossible to tell. Just out of curiosity, can you tell how old I am from this post?

I'd say you're above 17. Lower than 28.

So the title says it, can you typically get a sense for how old someone else by the way they type? If not how old they are, then their typical behavior?

I sure can, and it bothers me when kids try to act all grown up and end up making themselves sound stupid. 

Nu m8 Im 29 wth 4 kids I play blops3 all dya 360 nscope lolz I bhve nomal and m smart

Jk Jk lol 

It definitely sends personality vibes when people talk certain ways, but don't judge a book by its cover :P

Some people are awesome and fun people even if they don't sound like it

But a 12 year old know-it-all generally gets on my nerves :P

Guess my age lol *deletes age from profile rapidly*

Not really people think I'm younger than I am IRL and on here, same goes with other forums. I've spoken to people much older or younger and had no idea. On the flip-side however, you can get a guess on what they ask and their response to advice which will actually help them. Young people are very stubborn.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

18 - 21 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

I'd say you're above 17. Lower than 28.

Well that's a bit vague ^^ but true nonetheless

18 - 21 

this is more accurate

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nu m8 Im 29 wth 4 kids I play blops3 all dya 360 nscope lolz I bhve nomal and m smart

Jk Jk lol 

It definitely sends personality vibes when people talk certain ways, but don't judge a book by its cover :P

Some people are awesome and fun people even if they don't sound like it

But a 12 year old know-it-all generally gets on my nerves :P

Guess my age lol *deletes age from profile rapidly*

Yeah, I just kind of get a vibe sometimes, not really exactly what their age is but a ballpark. Like, sometimes you can't tell a mature kid from a grown adult, but you defiantly get the vibe that they are mature. That is really all that matters to me. 

Well that's a bit vague ^^ but true nonetheless

this is more accurate

Yeah, I'm no magical worker, but you sound mature to me. :)

On the flip-side however, you can get a guess on what they ask and their response to advice which will actually help them. Young people are very stubborn.

This is very true.

-snip- 

colour me impressed

i was thinking 19 but i second guessed myself, oh well 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

It's difficult to determine someones age based on text. There are many variables, some which cannot be measured. What if the intent of the message is to represent sarcasm? What does the sentence structure look like? What if the individual is drunk? What if the individual is mentally impaired? Wut if there jus faqing wit yu? It would be easier to determine their level of maturity rather than their age.

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3 Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: Asus Z97 Pro Wifi AC (USB 3.0 rev) | Memory: G.Skill 2x8GB Ripjaws @ 1866MHZ | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Gaming | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

It's difficult to determine someones age based on text. There are many variables, some which cannot be measured. What if the intent of the message is to represent sarcasm? What does the sentence structure look like? What if the individual is drunk? What if the individual is mentally impaired? Wut if there jus faqing wit yu? It would be easier to determine their level of maturity rather than their age.

you are 20 years old, 20 in a half 

No one ever said base someone's age off one sentence.. Lol.

After you talk to someone online for a while you kind of get a vibe of their age group.

Also, guess my age y'all :D

Based on your anime selection, I'd say maybe teen to mid 20's.

Then again I just met you. Lol

Also, guess my age y'all :D

Says on your profile 25, so either that or 26...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Says on your profile 25, so either that or 26...

Mid 20's :P and i didn't cheat.

Cheater.

just kidding, don't kill me

I think you can, up to a certain point. I know plenty of people older than myself that don't use any punctuation and make basic grammatical mistakes. 

(My age is on my profile, so don't cheat)

How old am I? :P

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Not really, but I can tell when someone, usually a young smartass, is being pretentious by using large, complicated words in a feeble attempt to hide their actual immaturity. Words cannot express how much it irritates me.

My younger brother is a prime example of this.

I Can Tell If Someone Has Just A Really Obnoxious, In-Your-Face Personality When They Type Like This All Of The Time.

12-year olds have a habit of abbreviating words that ought not to be abbreviated.

teenage girls in their cliquey angsty, and possibly ValleyGirl phase when they start repetitiously using "omg" and "like" and "totally". They really piss me off.

Illiterate 19-year-old high school dropouts usually misspell or mispronounce half their words, (words that my 3rd grade teacher would have cursed me into the ground for misspelling), and then when you call them out they usually respond with something like "shuddafukup fagut."

There are also the older people out there, you know, the ones who for whatever reason, are still living in the 60s, 70s and 80s, and are of the firm opinion that people who are more than 10 years younger than them don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, and use that as justification to condescend and belittle them, and to reject their valid points of view as ridiculous and of no worth. Because we all know that age is the end-all, be-all measure of wisdom, intelligence and authority these days, don't we?

Any fool should be able to spot them instantly - you can see the sarcastic chiding oozing and dripping from the text.