Thoughts on video games and violence

SirMonti

I am doing a project on how the media and public react to a controversial study and what the popular beliefs/opinions are. If you guys could vote on the pole and leave your thoughts in the comments it would be a huge help.  

There should be a "it depends/no solid evidence but could be probable choice." But no I don't there there is any correlation unless you're messed up in the head.

If you feel the needs to do the shit you do in GTA V or CoD3 in real life as well, then there is something wrong in your brain. Games aren't to be blamed. Stupid and sick people are.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

@SirMonti follow your topics

there are many studies that prove ppl do stuff in games they wont do in real...  or just do it in games because noone gets "damaged"

even on youtube ...

if you already have anger management problems etc its not the fault of games that "unlocks" the rage modus... mostly its the incomplete"social-stuff"that surrounds those people

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

yep, video games cause violence, when i was vac banned i shat on my computer and threw a hammer at it

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

GTA doesn't make me a mass murderer any more than FSX makes me a commercial pilot. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

There have been like two studies linking it to violence, and they were debunked.

Even lots of scientists think it's stupid. Think about it, there's been an increase in video game sales every year and the crime rate drops every year (numbers in the U.S.A.) If it really made your brain go crazy, why aren't there tons of ~30 year olds in Mario suits stomping on peoples' heads because they played Mario as a kid?

I'd say they don't cause violence in people, but can cause violent people to imitate what happens in the game, just like films and books potentially can. 

^^^^tyhisrlypleasepeopleit'sbeenhappeningforcenturies

I used to be quite active here.

If video games were violent, I'd have cracked my skull on brick walls ages ago.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Killing someone in Battlefield or cod or GTA is totally different from doing it irl. Just like it's easy to punch someone in GTA but but totally and completely different in real life. 

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

I just want to say all these killers and what not that played video games were mentally damaged no normal person that plays video game would have done that the augment is ridiculous also you never see people blame movies so why blame video games in a lot of cases movies are more violent that games.

I am doing a project on how the media and public react to a controversial study and what the popular beliefs/opinions are. If you guys could vote on the pole and leave your thoughts in the comments it would be a huge help.  

Playing some of the most violent video games did not affect me at all, maybe it made me less sensitive to more grotesque things. 

I can say for certain that series such as one being Game of Thrones made me a bit more violent then I wanted to be at some point against a woman when we argued, things like that put an image in your head and make you think less of others. Just personal experience.

EDIT:

I've been binge-watching Game of Thrones from Season 1 to Season 5 in less than 4 days. I believe that affected me more than it should have.

Ima just say that video games tend to relieve the stress placed upon me by school and I thing they can be very good for you. for example, hand eye coordination and reaction time. those who do violent things can't be caused by video games. your not gonna wake up all day ready to help humanity and then play call of duty and feel like going on a mass murder spree afterwards. thing logical guys.

The smartest idiot you will ever find

Try looking at long-term studies that take into account the age and the social environment of their samples rather than survey-based studies...

I'm fine playing violent video games but when I play FIFA the most unviolent game I have I go batshit crazy at times and two or three controllers have ended up dead and in pieces because of it

Killing someone in Battlefield or cod or GTA is totally different from doing it irl. Just like it's easy to punch someone in GTA but but totally and completely different in real life. 

Well.. It is quite easy to run up to someone and punch them in irl.

Although I am not very sure they would go launching like GTA and the reaction would sure be different. Especially over here in Essex, you'd get stabbed by a fucking butter knife or something.  

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

I also think it depends on the age of the one playing the game. If you are 6 years old and you are playing GTA V, then you might get a negative effect. But I think that has more to do with the fact that you are learning from, and mimikking other people. But that is anoter discussion. 

negative 

negative

Many many biased statements

Yes, and for this assignment that is exactly what I am looking for.  How different people view the topic so I can see what differences in viewpoints are out there.  Looking at responses from gamers and parents for example show many different arguments.

I didn't know what to put, so I just put "in between". Some studies say there's a correlation, some say there's not even that. But as we all know, correlation != causation, so that's not really a thing. It says more about the people playing the games than the games themselves.

I think that in some demographics and in some areas, violent video games could conceivably dull people's senses to violence, but having gone about and shot up hundreds of people in Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite with all the gore turned on, etc... it's not really affected my judgement or mindset in any negative way. I don't get an urge to go and snap someone's neck just because a fictional character did it when I pressed a button.

People are far more likely to be violent if they're exposed to truly traumatic events and environments, like abuse, bereavement, war, gang violence, etc. If video games really do have a negative effect, it's likely a drop in the barrel. But from my own personal experience, it's much more effective at the opposite - it's a stress reliever, it's like therapy, it makes me feel better. Doesn't turn me into a psychopath.

If video games turn you into a psychopath, there's something screwed up with you, not the game, because it shows a serious lack of distinction between what is real and what is not, and you probably need to be in a psychiatric ward anyway/

Video games are my stress reliever take them away and I will become violent, as anger is directional and your in my way.

I'm glad you brought that up, because the same goes for many people.  This study is looking specifically for a link between video games and aggression, but there are also studies that look into the benefits of video games.  Different games have different effects on different people.