What to do with extra graphics card?

Hey.

So currently in my main machine I have an ASUS GTX 760 OC edition.  That was upgraded from an EVGA 550 ti 2gb.  Now that I have the extra card, I don't know what to do with it.

I know that I can just dedicate it to physx, but seems like a waste of heat/power for just a couple more frames on a few games.

Is it possible to somehow SLI and use both of the the cards' power together?

What can I do with this extra 550ti?

sell it.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

No. you cannot SLI the cards together. You can use the card in a different machine, such as a folding machine if you wish or you can sell it off.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You're better off selling it than using as dedicated PhysX (wont really increase performance).

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Coaster like Logan did with his 9800

Wasn't that a non-functional card though? If it's a functional card...what a waste.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Dedicated Physx doesn't require SLI

I didn't state that. At all.

Yea, this is actually what I'm thinking right now. In my country I can't sell old card because it's like no one would buy it.

Sorry, I skipped over OP's part about somehow running SLI :/ my bad

It happens. Don't worry about it.

I would sell it to a friend who needs a graphics card. Or even someone you meet at bestbuy who needs one

Use it for Folding @ Home

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Wasn't that a non-functional card though? If it's a functional card...what a waste.

Meh, just my input

Meh, just my input

It wasn't criticism towards your input. But rather, criticism towards Logan.

what is folding @ home?

:o

In short, your gpu / cpu are doing calculations that are sent out from Stanford University. These calculations are only a small part of the whole project that is split up and sent out to all the other folders.

Folding @ Home refers to the folding of proteins in science, in which scientists can use this information to understand the human body, how cancers spread, and hopefully how to cure cancer, and also a few other diseases.  

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

:o

In short, your gpu / cpu are doing calculations that are sent out from Stanford University. These calculations are only a small part of the whole project that is split up and sent out to all the other folders.

Folding @ Home refers to the folding of proteins in science, in which scientists can use this information to understand the human body, how cancers spread, and hopefully how to cure cancer, and also a few other diseases.  

Uhh.... I am going to sound stupid, but that doesnt make any sense to me... How is my graphics card folding proteins?? lol

You have a few options

1. Sell it (obvious choice)
2. Use it for your cups or glass' like Logan does

3. Use it to fold

4. if AMD/ATi card, use it to mine coins of your preference

5. Use for a small cheap build with spare parts

6. Give it to someone

7. Trash it/burn it*

*Done at your own risk.

The Syndicate

Uhh.... I am going to sound stupid, but that doesnt make any sense to me... How is my graphics card folding proteins?? lol

haaha that's fine if you don't understand it. it's kind of complex. I don't fully understand it all myself.

The people at Stanford University are trying to make simulations and mathematical calculations of how cancers spread throughout the body, how they start, and basically how they can completely get rid of cancer altogether.

The calculations are massively zoomed in representations of the human cells.

The reason why people using their home computers are doing this for them is because having a million computer do a part of a calculation would take 5 or so hours to complete and send back to the university.

Whereas if Stanford had a supercomputer lying around it could take weeks or even years to do the same mathematical simulation.

The power of everyone combined is a lot faster and more efficient than having a supercomputer try to do it all.

Who would buy an old graphics card? Could always use it for an HTPC.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

1.use it as a coaster (like logan)

2.give it to a friend

3.if you have any spare computer parts lying around build a system and use it for Folding