AMD Releases 15.11.1 BETA Drivers with Optimizations for Fallout 4 and Starwars Battlefront

Timmahnz

Gameworks is broken - Bethesda managed to break it further

theres an option to turn it off

this isnt about gameworks

were talking about drivers being released late for AMD, i dont see what that has to do with gameworks

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

were talking about drivers being released late for AMD, i dont see what that has to do with gameworks

Yet as soon as people turned down shadows it ran fine for everyone. FO4 likes RAM speed for some reason as well - difference between 1600 and 2400 is 12 fps

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Planning to download this...How do I make sure that I have windows 7 service packs and microsoft .net framework 4.5?

What does apple boot camp mean btw :P

Edit: never mind got my answer with just one google search for each question

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Developed by Obsidian.

Who are ALSO known for buggy releases.  Pillars of Eternity was their least buggy game.

About to install now, hopefully I see some improvements in Fallout 4 when in cities. 

Thank God. We'll try those out tomorrow so I can hopefully not get 15fps in downtown Boston...

EVERYONE is having problem with this game. Go visit Nvidia's Reddit page. It' still insane to me how Bethesda is getting a pass on this crap. And quit your grasping at straws. There have been times when Nvidia takes way longer than a week to get working drivers. Not really sure why you think Nvidia would not have drivers on day 1 for a game using their libraries.

You can't fix the performance in the city. Same thing happens in the city of Novigrad in Witcher 3. Same thing in BF4 on Siege of Shanghai. Your CPU is bottlenecking. There are a lot of NPCs and objects for the CPU to process. 4-core CPUs ain't gonna cut it. But even if you had something like 5960X, performance improvement still wouldn't be as big as you would expect, as the rendering is single threaded under DX11, and that is actually the main issue.

Bethesda had to decide whether to go for performance, or IQ regardless of poor performance even on best hardware. Seeing how bad of a PC port Fallout 4 is (you can't even turn off mouse accel), their decision was obviously based on consoles, their capabilities and standards console gamers have. Consoles have higher draw call throughput, though weak hardware, but the game is meant to run at 30 fps and it's good enough for the consoles. If Bethesda were to optimize the game for PC to get 60+ fps in the city they would have to reduce the amount of objects and basically dumb down the city. 

Yet as soon as people turned down shadows it ran fine for everyone. FO4 likes RAM speed for some reason as well - difference between 1600 and 2400 is 12 fps

Lower shadow distance = less draw calls. Which proves that the API is the bottleneck.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

hmm cool im curious to see what improvments this makes on my furyx... im already staying at 60fps 90% of the time but there are times i dip to about 40fps and thats with a reshade and enb fixes.... so if this makes me run 60 100% of time ill be happy. but its not neccesary since i hardly notice the dips...

From what I read, most people don't notice improvement in Fallout 4. I hope it's there, wanna start playing it next week.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

@Enderman

when was fallout4 released?

oh yeah, a week and a few hours ago wasnt it?

there goes your whole "several" weeks to get drivers fixed theory down the drain.

While you're right on the exaggerations, lets test the performance with this driver first and see if there is true improvement

-------

Current Rig

-------

thats still over a week after the release date, which was when nvidia released their drivers

you can see how many thousands of people have been waiting for this driver update just by looking at all the people having issues with AMD on google

in the past they have taken anywhere from a week to a month after game releases to release their drivers

even one week is still too long

maybe you're like a console gamer and just satisfied with "oh its one week late, good enough for me, no need for any improvement."

*cough* tomb raider 2013

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

i guess i need to get a new troll detector. If i knew you were one i wouldnt have bothered replying to you.

you sound like a butthurt AMD fanboy who can't accept that AMD is always late on their driver releases

if you cant accept the truth then dont even start an argument, it just makes you look like a child

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

I wonder if Bethesda will be re-releasing Fallout 4 under DX12, just like FromSoft did with Dark Souls 2 and DX9/DX11.

It's what's been making me want to wait before picking the game up.

It sounds legitimately terrible to run if what you're all saying is the case.

Extreme frame dips in the city is not acceptable.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

I gave up crossfire with my 290's because of AMD's lacking Crossfire updates on new releases. It was FUCKED relying on AMD.

I still have the cards, but separated into different rigs. Single cards are epic as hell, crossfiring them is stressful on game launch....... days later, sometimes.. WEEKS.

Back in the day (too long ago to count in this discussion) but it was MONTHS for some games..... MONTHS MAN!@!!!

It's THAT big of a deal to some.

We know the AMD driver history, and shit hasn't changed that much in regards to launch titles.

I do understand the problems AMD has when Nvidia uses 'blackbox' tech they can't optimize for and have to wait, but thats on them, buyers expect it to work because AMD says its great, but its not all sunny days and rainbows.

Their scaling ROCKS, when it works fine, but its too hit n miss on launch titles and delays are all too common for my liking.

Everyone is different, but most people who have to deal with this, hate it more and more over time.

/Didn't get a performance update with this FO4 patch either, still the same on BOTH 290 systems after updating today :( Which sucks a bit.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I overclocked my RAM, 4670k, and 980ti. Now I'm able to maintain 60 FPS everywhere, though I did set Godrays on medium.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Correct but to clarify, Bethesda made it a bit trickier than normal: it detects and sets settings to ultra for example, so I manually completely turn off god rays but I noticed performance hit and the effect active. Turns out that even if you turn it off, for some reason Beth thinks its ok to just set it to low instead of turning it off all the way. What you have to do is set your settings to "Low" on the initial option screen, and then manually change everything back to ultra except godrays that should stay off. That way the game leaves it off for good instead of defaulting it to low.

Now I won't speculate as to whenever this was tremendously stupid oversight or foul play but when a game behaves in shitty ways like that you can't say "Oh just turn it off" when its actually not possible without you googling this specific issue.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What exactly does any of this have to do with the fact that FO4's performance is shit for everyone, including people with Nvidia cards?

Thats quite a generalization you made.

Fallout 4 runs fine for me & many people I've talked to. It's NOT shit for everyone.

I only have a quadcore locked i5 @ 3.9Ghz (all cores loaded it wont declock either), hearing reports I may need more CPU power I was worried...

I''m having no issues getting 60fps as a constant.

My GPU is @ 1404Mhz, not overclocked by me, just turbo boost happening, and thats better than most stock 970's, but not by much.

I'm not saying issues are not happening, I'm not saying people are not having issues.

But I know of at least 3 other people, with GTX 970's that have zero issues (but I really don't know their settings used, likely max, but don't know)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Correct but to clarify, Bethesda made it a bit trickier than normal: it detects and sets settings to ultra for example, so I manually completely turn off god rays but I noticed performance hit and the effect active. Turns out that even if you turn it off, for some reason Beth thinks its ok to just set it to low instead of turning it off all the way. What you have to do is set your settings to "Low" on the initial option screen, and then manually change everything back to ultra except godrays that should stay off. That way the game leaves it off for good instead of defaulting it to low.

Now I won't speculate as to whenever this was tremendously stupid oversight or foul play but when a game behaves in shitty ways like that you can't say "Oh just turn it off" when its actually not possible without you googling this specific issue.

Yup there is no question that the game has not been coded well...

Some lucky people have no issues with it, but most do.

Do you think they will be releasing patches to fix it? or will it just remain like this? 

Spoiler

You can't fix the performance in the city. Same thing happens in the city of Novigrad in Witcher 3. Same thing in BF4 on Siege of Shanghai. Your CPU is bottlenecking. There are a lot of NPCs and objects for the CPU to process. 4-core CPUs ain't gonna cut it. But even if you had something like 5960X, performance improvement still wouldn't be as big as you would expect, as the rendering is single threaded under DX11, and that is actually the main issue.

Bethesda had to decide whether to go for performance, or IQ regardless of poor performance even on best hardware. Seeing how bad of a PC port Fallout 4 is (you can't even turn off mouse accel), their decision was obviously based on consoles, their capabilities and standards console gamers have. Consoles have higher draw call throughput, though weak hardware, but the game is meant to run at 30 fps and it's good enough for the consoles. If Bethesda were to optimize the game for PC to get 60+ fps in the city they would have to reduce the amount of objects and basically dumb down the city. 

Lower shadow distance = less draw calls. Which proves that the API is the bottleneck.

CPU bottleneck? That's remarkable considering I have a 4790K. Either way it's unacceptable.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Thats quite a generalization you made.

Fallout 4 runs fine for me & many people I've talked to. It's NOT shit for everyone.

I only have a quadcore locked i5 @ 3.9Ghz (all cores loaded it wont declock either), hearing reports I may need more CPU power I was worried...

I''m having no issues getting 60fps as a constant.

My GPU is @ 1404Mhz, not overclocked by me, just turbo boost happening, and thats better than most stock 970's, but not by much.

I'm not saying issues are not happening, I'm not saying people are not having issues.

But I know of at least 3 other people, with GTX 970's that have zero issues (but I really don't know their settings used, likely max, but don't know)

Before I actually get into the fact that yes, even if you are getting 60 fps it still runs like shit, the part about me saying everyone is you arguing semantics. I would hope that when I said everyone, it would be understood that I mean both people who own cards from AMD and Nvidia. Your experience does not represent the experience of everyone else as is evidenced by Nvidia's reddit and Nvidia' forums. Enderman was trying to make some bullshit claim that performance issues on AMD's side and that isn't the case.

On the point of performance, the fact that your boosted 970 is only netting you 60 fps on a game that objectively looks worse than other open world games like Witcher 3, GTA 5, FarCry 4, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age: Inqusition and Dying Light, means it's running like shit. There was a shitstorm against Ubisoft for AC: Unity and Watch Dogs and for some reason everyone is giving Bethesda a pass on this because they're crack addcits who would have withdrawal symptoms if they didn't boycott the unoptimized garbage that is FO4 which has a host of other bugs that aren't graphics related.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Yup there is no question that the game has not been coded well...

Some lucky people have no issues with it, but most do.

Do you think they will be releasing patches to fix it? or will it just remain like this? 

Well yes and no: My thoughts on it is that some performance issues will be addressed but not all, also not all bugs. The reason is that the modding community is already getting behind the game with an already impressive number of mods for a week old game including ENB and performance options. Most folk have plenty of experience with previous games on the engine so it looks to be well supported, by Bethesda or otherwise. That (and tbh, the 20% off cupon) is why I decided to get it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just thought I'd report back with my findings after trying the driver.

All wood textures more than ca. 10 metres away (radius) from my character have rainbow bitcrush corruption now. As the OP quote said, this could happen with eyefinity - but I don't use eyefinity, I have a perfectly normal 1920x1200 display. The vault-tec jumpsuit also has corruption, turning every limb of the suit looking like white mesh. It would actually be kind of cool if the torso was affected as well lol.

Going to revert back to the previous driver. (Minimum FPS did improve though, even if it's kind of useless when things start looking like shit)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Just thought I'd report back with my findings after trying the driver.

All wood textures more than ca. 10 metres away (radius) from my character have rainbow bitcrush corruption now. As the OP quote said, this could happen with eyefinity - but I don't use eyefinity, I have a perfectly normal 1920x1200 display. The vault-tec jumpsuit also has corruption, turning every limb of the suit looking like white mesh. It would actually be kind of cool if the torso was affected as well lol.

Going to revert back to the previous driver. (Minimum FPS did improve though, even if it's kind of useless when things start looking like shit)

I believe it's the resolution - 16x10 is not so common nowadays

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Before I actually get into the fact that yes, even if you are getting 60 fps it still runs like shit, the part about me saying everyone is you arguing semantics. I would hope that when I said everyone, it would be understood that I mean both people who own cards from AMD and Nvidia. Your experience does not represent the experience of everyone else as is evidenced by Nvidia's reddit and Nvidia' forums. Enderman was trying to make some bullshit claim that performance issues on AMD's side and that isn't the case.

On the point of performance, the fact that your boosted 970 is only netting you 60 fps on a game that objectively looks worse than other open world games like Witcher 3, GTA 5, FarCry 4, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age: Inqusition and Dying Light, means it's running like shit. There was a shitstorm against Ubisoft for AC: Unity and Watch Dogs and for some reason everyone is giving Bethesda a pass on this because they're crack addcits who would have withdrawal symptoms if they didn't boycott the unoptimized garbage that is FO4 which has a host of other bugs that aren't graphics related.

You realize the game has a 60 fps frame lock right? If you disable that frame lock there are reports of it messing up the speed of the game. I like how you choose to believe the reports about Nvidia cards having issues, but not the reports about AMD. Keep making yourself look like a fool on these forums, it's entertaining to watch...

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX