Gun Safety Fingerprint Sensor Aims To Prevent Tragic Accidents

PCBjon

You're misinformed 5.56mm is also known as it's virtually identical brother known as the .223. The 5.56mm round has the same diameter as the .22.

Fun factoid: as a kid, people who are currently in their 60's had parents with full auto M16s in their closets. What's changed since then? Obviously not the piece of metal, it's just people.

Need is simply your opinion. What really scares me isn't an AR-15, it's a 12 gauge shoutgun with 00 Buckshot. Go to YouTube and watch a ballistics gel test of that. Take a 5.56 to the torso, you'll probably live. Take a 12 gauge load of 00 buckshot and you're done for.

Wow, a fellow Oregonian that looks at facts and not sensationalized and uneducated propaganda. Hello there, sir. 

It is a common misconception that "assault rifle bullets" are these giant brain exploding rounds. Its funny how small .223 actually is. Also, another bit of misinformation - Semi-Automatic just means its auto loading and can fire as fast as you pull the trigger. So, .22 IS a semi-automatic rifle round. 

There is a reason I shall prefer a shotgun for my house, over my .45 handgun. While I have training, my fiance does not (yet, we will likely do that after the wedding). However, she can pull the trigger on a 20 gauge with buckshot and hit someone with it. That 20 gauge, which will be mounted high enough on the wall, that my children cannot reach. When they can, they will be trained in proper firearm handling. I don't think any of these electronically-controlled locks will do anything. If people are not already training their children in gun safety, locking up or making guns inaccessible to them - why would they start now. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

snip

Indeed sir, we are a very rare breed. It is rather funny, the amount of misconceptions out there from movies and video games is ridiculous. I've read a number of stories about buglers leaving homes they've broken into after hearing the owner simply pump the shotgun once. It's a very distinct and menacing sound. Telling people to buy a hundred dollar gadget to put on their gun is silly, why would I do that? And plus, what if the battery dies and I need to defend myself in my home and I can't unlock my gun?

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Or just give the burglar your tv and get another one from insurance, and not kill anyone. 
Maybe call the police afterwards and let them handle it.

Welp

Has anyone actually used their gun in a self defense situation I suspect not alot, more than likely shot down in a gun range and that is about the most of it.

There is a reason I shall prefer a shotgun for my house, over my .45 handgun. While I have training, my fiance does not (yet, we will likely do that after the wedding). However, she can pull the trigger on a 20 gauge with buckshot and hit someone with it. That 20 gauge, which will be mounted high enough on the wall, that my children cannot reach. When they can, they will be trained in proper firearm handling. I don't think any of these electronically-controlled locks will do anything. If people are not already training their children in gun safety, locking up or making guns inaccessible to them - why would they start now. 

Or maybe we should be teaching children to strive for a world without guns.

Indeed sir, we are a very rare breed. It is rather funny, the amount of misconceptions out there from movies and video games is ridiculous. I've read a number of stories about buglers leaving homes they've broken into after hearing the owner simply pump the shotgun once. It's a very distinct and menacing sound. Telling people to buy a hundred dollar gadget to put on their gun is silly, why would I do that? And plus, what if the battery dies and I need to defend myself in my home and I can't unlock my gun?

If you need to rack a round into the chamber during an HD situation, you're doing it wrong. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Why not just get rid of publicly available guns, gun stores. Like they did in Australia. 

or people could just learn personal responsibility and we can stop punishing responsible gun owners.

or people could just learn personal responsibility and we can stop punishing responsible gun owners.

People do have responsibility but guns are dangerous, the more guns there are the higher the chance of a mass shooting. Get rid of all of them, australlia was the same as the usa 20 years ago. When they got rid off guns, there have been no mass shootings. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

People do have responsibility but guns are dangerous, the more guns there are the higher the chance of a mass shooting. Get rid of all of them, australlia was the same as the usa 20 years ago. When they got rid off guns, there have been no mass shootings. 

You realize that this product is for preventing accidents, not crazed gunmen; right?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I'm down with the idea of punishing "responsible" gun owners. Preferably on national TV.

Or maybe we should be teaching children to strive for a world without guns.

Yes absolutely. I am saddened and hate that we live in a world of humans that hurt others because of our selfish nature.

I really hope in my lifetime that everyone comes to peace with each other and everyone chooses to try and understand everyone's point of view and no longer has any strong opinions. I also hope that everyone gets all the money they need, and never want to steal ever again. I hope everyone is never angry again.

But that will not happen in my lifetime, dare I say it will never happen. So until it does, I choose to have a tool to protect myself. I unfortunately do not think an electronic device will help with that.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

A device like this would actually be pretty cool to use as just a trigger lock if you have multiple guns as it would eliminate the need for carrying (and possibly losing) keys tied to different locks. So I think it has a place, but operating the firearm with it attached is not it.

Giving the amount of kids shooting themselves or other people with mommy's or daddy's tryanny ready loaded gun I have to admit it is a step in the somewhat right direction. I wonder how well it works though?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11/13/new-gun-safety-fingerprint-sensor-will-prevent-tragic-accidents-and-reduce-handgun-crime_n_8552986.html

I think this is a terrible idea.  Say mommy and daddy are out of the house and the kid is home alone.  Say someone breaks into the house.  The fingerprint scanner would prevent the kid from protecting themselves.

Processor Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 RAM 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Case NZXT Phantom (Black) PSU Corsair CX600M Operating System Windows 10 Monitor BenQ GL2760H Headset Skullcandy PLYR 1 & Sennheiser Momentum

I don't like these. The last thing I want is another point of failure on a gun. Buy a damn gun safe to store your guns in while you aren't around if you're worried about little timmy blowing his head off.

Edited by noobadin

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

I think this is a terrible idea.  Say mommy and daddy are out of the house and the kid is home alone.  Say someone breaks into the house.  The fingerprint scanner would prevent the kid from protecting themselves.

A trigger or slide lock will do the same thing. I think we're talking about kids here who are not necessarily old enough to understand gun safety or how to handle them.

Ok for starters are you suggesting leaving a firearm laying around for the kid to use is a terrible idea and secondly Mommy and daddy are idiots for leaving their young kid at home alone (depending on age of course) and last the kid would not have to code/keys to the gun safe if he/she does than it defeats the purpose of having a gun safe doesn't it.

A trigger or slide lock will do the same thing. I think we're talking about kids here who are not necessarily old enough to understand gun safety or how to handle them.

Yup. I have no problems with this being implemented as a trigger lock. But I don't want it permanently fixed to any of my firearms. 

Although I don't use trigger locks...

This needs to be mandatory. The people that need it won't buy it willingly.

Most gun owners don't really need this.   What we need is mandatory gun safety classes when buying a gun.  Guns are already sold with trigger locks, people just need to be educated of the HOWS and WHYS of using them.  

Wasn't something like this made by a kid a few months back? I vaguely recall something posted on this site about it...

also, I do not want something that enables an EMP to make my gun unusable...

I'd rather keep the gun's firing pin off or keep it in a childproof quick-access box...

(I currently do not own a gun but am planning to get a .22 pistol for sport shooting/home defense)

This tech has existed for a decade or so now...  The only reason that it isn't in every sporting goods/gun store in the US is a piece of New Jersey legislation that states that When smart guns are availible ANYWHERE in the US, that is the only type of gun allowed to be sold in NJ, which is why gun owners and lobbyists so aggressively attack shops that attempt to sell smart guns.  NJ refuses to repeal the law, and no shops will sell Smart Guns in the US in fear of preventing NJ Residents from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

I agree with you but Americans are gun crazy and won't allow anyone to regulate them. (As for armed forces I think they should be a thing in the past except on native soil)

I see that you're not from the US...  We're not gun crazy, we're Rights crazy.  The US Constitution was created just after extreme oppression by a government.  It was designed to give the populace as much power over the Government as possible.  The 2nd Amendment is there to ensure that Citizens are able to defend themselves from, or overthrow and oppressive Gov.  While things have improved now, many still think it necessary to own guns for self defense, hunting, or sporting reasons. 

if people were actually responsible they would have a gun locker of some form, whether that be a simple single handgun safe or bigger. also if people were responsible they wouldn't LEAVE THE GUN LOADED, even if in a safe.

edit: also mass shootings are not the result of more guns (nice try though) they are caused by people with mental health issues. the gun is just the tool they used. also as per the FBI more people are killed each year with hands/feet than with rifles. not to mention when gun purchases went through the roof in 2013 due to Obama yammering about an Executive Order that wouldn't gain congressional support (yes even EO's still need congressional support) to do a super sized version of the Clinton gun ban of the '90s that violent crime plummeted. but hey, keep living in your world of guns = evil.

I personally wouldn't buy one of these.  I'm responsible, was raised around guns, and know how to secure and handle them properly.  It seems adding another variable.  I don't know the exact tech used to transmit the signal, but would it be possible to jam it?  Modify it?  I don't know.  

I DO believe though, that once the NJ Childproof Handgun Law of 2002 is repealed (stating that once smart guns are availible ANYWHERE in the US, that is the only type of gun allowed to be sold in NJ, which is wrong for a MULTITUDE of reasons including but not limited to: 2nd Amendment violations and interfering with the free market) that these will be AWESOME.  Tons of fence sitters, that may not be familiar with firearms, will be be able to own a relatively idiot-proof gun.

I see that you're not from the US...  We're not gun crazy, we're Rights crazy.  The US Constitution was created just after extreme oppression by a government.  It was designed to give the populace as much power over the Government as possible.  The 2nd Amendment is there to ensure that Citizens are able to defend themselves from, or overthrow and oppressive Gov.  While things have improved now, many still think it necessary to own guns for self defense, hunting, or sporting reasons. 

The usa has the most powerful millitary. How are a few untrained people with guns going to "overthrow" the government. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

The usa has the most powerful millitary. How are a few untrained people with guns going to "overthrow" the government. 

I guess you didn't read my whole reply...  

The 2nd Amendment is there to ensure that Citizens are able to defend themselves from, or overthrow and oppressive Gov.  While things have improved now, many still think it necessary to own guns for self defense, hunting, or sporting reasons. 

If it did 'hypothetically' get that bad, I assume a large portion of the military wouldn't be supporting the Gov.  There are a lot more people than military anyhow.   How did the Colonists beat the British?