My Friend Has A Question about a Homemade Heatsink

Ophidio

Is it possible to even make a heatsink out of pennies? How efficient would this be? Would watercooling be an option when using these pennies? These are not rhetorical questions, he legit wants to know if you want make a heatsink out of pennies. He's poor and doesn't have many options. 

btw its @HumanKiller that's really wanting to know he just can't exactly get on at the moment because he's working on his not so cool cpu right now. xD

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

I don't think so, mainly because pennies don't actually contain that much copper. There's filler metals inside. And how would you connect them? Glue doesn't transfer heat, and could melt. So, no, not so much. Saving up $20 to get a budget cooler is the way to go. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

What do you mean by this?

Literally as it says, he wants to take pennies, as in the US currency for one cent, and turn them into a heatsink for his cpu. How does he do this or is it even possible?

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

you can buy heatsinks and cpu coolers for under $10USD online. they only case where this would be practical would be in a dedicated "unusual" type build. the issue is pennies are mostly zinc, they have a micro-layer of copper but thats it. horrible heat conduction and dissapation

Is it possible to even make a heatsink out of pennies? How efficient would this be? Would watercooling be an option when using these pennies? These are not rhetorical questions, he legit wants to know if you want make a heatsink out of pennies. He's poor and doesn't have many options. 

btw its @HumanKiller that's really wanting to know he just can't exactly get on at the moment because he's working on his not so cool cpu right now. xD

How would one do this first, gluing them together into a large block??

Also modern pennies aren't made of pure copper so it's a nickel alloy or sorts so watercooling a definite no not to mention now that would all piece together and stay watertight.

Please encourage him to do it...and film it, film all of it

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

He's thinkning about it xD He has an old Core 2 Duo E7400 just sitting around with a crappy dell motherboard and he wants to find a way to destroy it honestly. 

Someday, when I get a job and can afford to kill computers, I will try this, and filmit all >:D

PC SPECS|CPU:Intel I5 4460|Motherboard:Asrock H97 Anniversary|RAM:Crucial Ballistx 16GB sport DDR3 8x2 |GPU:MSI Radeon R7 250X 2gb|Case:rosewell blackhawk |Storage:250GBSSD,500GBHDD,80GBHDD,250GBHDD|PSUs:EVGA 750 B2|Cooling:Stock| https://pcpartpicker.com/user/humankiller/saved/#view=3zzzK8

Someday, when I get a job and can afford to kill computers, I will try this, and filmit all > :D

Or you could just do it with your piece of shit you're working on now!

Or you could just do it with your piece of shit you're working on now!

I was gonna weld them together but I can't afford that :/

PC SPECS|CPU:Intel I5 4460|Motherboard:Asrock H97 Anniversary|RAM:Crucial Ballistx 16GB sport DDR3 8x2 |GPU:MSI Radeon R7 250X 2gb|Case:rosewell blackhawk |Storage:250GBSSD,500GBHDD,80GBHDD,250GBHDD|PSUs:EVGA 750 B2|Cooling:Stock| https://pcpartpicker.com/user/humankiller/saved/#view=3zzzK8

I was gonna weld them together but I can't afford that :/

Lots of thermal paste and gorilla glue should work.

Lots of thermal paste and gorilla glue should work.

I'm afraid, but it will most likely not.

Even thermal adhesive is a pretty bad heat conducter. You have to weld them. Also you need some kind of head spreader as the coins are to thin.

Or you simply melt them down and cast them into a heatsink shape. You can also use a block of metal for this purpose.

But seriousely you can find a used cooler for cheaper. I'm sure one of you friend has a intel stock cooler as a leftover and you can ghetto mount in on your cooler. Or you get one for 1$ on ebay.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Is it possible to even make a heatsink out of pennies? How efficient would this be?

Not very effective, but it might work provided you 1) weld them together, 2) have enough of them, and 3) only make the heatsink itself out of pennies, and take an existing cooler base and heatpipes to attach it to.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

to do it, grab pennies and stack them kinda like this except have it 4 pennies at the bottom as the cpu cooler plate to touch the cpu then do a tower like this and emulate a normal tower heatsink and make fins and use a welder and weld them together, use zip ties to hold it on and zip ties for the fanmount, 

TowerConstructionSideView.jpg

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

If you look at how modern CPU coolers are made, there's aluminum as heatspreader and copper for heatpipes. Even the homemade water block which Linus used in SYW2 was made from aluminum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv