Anyone know if my motherboard can do USB C power / display for this monitor?

Akumatie

The manual makes it sound like the screen is designed to deliver power through USB-C, rather than be powered.

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/monitor/PRO-MP161-E2-English.pdf

In any case motherboards aren't usually designed with USB PD in mind. Most motherboards also don't provide display though USB-C, at least with a discrete GPU. That's something more commonly found in laptops, which a portable screen is designed/intended for.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

18 minutes ago, Akumatie said:

This is my motherboard https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z790 LiveMixer/Specification.asp I am usign a 14700K CPU with a iGPU on
This is the monitor https://uk.msi.com/Portable-Monitor/PRO-MP161-E2
Wondering if I could just use the 1 USB C cable and just connect it to my motherboard for the dual display and power or I need to use a HDMI cable

I see no mention of USB Power Delivery or DisplayPort Alt Mode.  I think video over USB-C may work via the Thunderbolt add-on card.

So you probably need to provide both power and video.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

37 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I see no mention of USB Power Delivery or DisplayPort Alt Mode.  I think video over USB-C may work via the Thunderbolt add-on card.

So you probably need to provide both power and video.

So will be I fine with just using one of the USB C ports for power then using on of the HDMI ports for the display? 

2 minutes ago, Akumatie said:

So will be I fine with just using one of the USB C ports for power then using on of the HDMI ports for the display? 

That should work fine. However, the display uses mini-HDMI rather than full size. Check the manual I linked above.

You might need to use a power brick instead of the computer's USB-C for power as PCs usually don't supply PD.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That should work fine. However, the display uses mini-HDMI rather than full size. Check the manual I linked above.

Mini HDMI to HDMI cable, still kinda weird why not just use a normal HDMI port but it'll work.

image.png.457db64d7bf4afce6d64151f8f01ba1c.png

Just now, Akumatie said:

Mini HDMI to HDMI cable, still kinda weird why not just use a normal HDMI port but it'll work.

image.png.457db64d7bf4afce6d64151f8f01ba1c.png

Because it's a portable display. It's not large/thick enough for a full size port.

It's primarily intended as a secondary display for laptop users on the go, not for regular desktop use.