R9 390 and The Skylake Family?

AsukaNii

Is R9 390 Nitro compatible with I5-6600K? and the Z170 MOBO?

Shout out to Fanfiction Site

Short answer- Yes.

Long answer- Yeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Is R9 390 Nitro compatible with I5-6600K? and the Z170 MOBO?

Now, prepare for the 400 other people to comment "yes" also.

I used to be quite active here.

Of course it is. PC builds doesn't need to be strictly AMD/AMD or Intel/Nvidia. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Yes, but you may want to look at Nvidia and their support of recent game releases. Which is much better than AMD's.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yes, but you may want to look at Nvidia and their support of recent game releases. Which is much better than AMD's.

and their 3.5gb VRAM, great feature too

and their 3.5gb VRAM, great feature too

List a game which offers an advantage to the 8g? Or a loss of performance when the 970 goes over it's 4g? And I'd rather have less Vram than have to lower settings to play a game at 60fps that the 970 plays without compromise.

List a game which offers an advantage to the 8g? Or a loss of performance when the 970 goes over it's 4g? And I'd rather have less Vram than have to lower settings to play a game at 60fps that the 970 plays without compromise.

Shadow of mordor?

Modded Skyrim?

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

They both keep most all games over 60 FPS at 1080p, unsurprisingly. Also, the extra VRAM is for newer games that will start using more and more VRAM, making the 970 kinda useless.

The 390 has a better GPU anyways.. And, I've never had performance issues with my 7970 in new games, I guess I just can't feel the drivers??

Shadow of mordor?

Modded Skyrim?

Oh yeah, what this guy said, any game where you can mod in high-res textures the 970 will run out of VRAM..

Shadow of mordor?

Modded Skyrim?

So how many fps are lost with the 970 when it exceeds it's Vram? What's the advantage?

I am running the r9 390 with the i5 4690k. i know its not skylake but it is a great combo!

the r9 390 has 8 gb of vram

Look at the post I quoted. I already know that.

So how many fps are lost with the 970 when it exceeds it's Vram? What's the advantage?

If you are to have multiple of the two gpu's and you start to play at 1440p or 4K you will see a difference so on future proofing alone the 390 is better and 8gb of ram may be verkill at the moment but who knows where it go. 

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

If you are to have multiple of the two gpu's and you start to play at 1440p or 4K you will see a difference so on future proofing alone the 390 is better and 8gb of ram may be verkill at the moment but who knows where it go. 

Have you tried crossfire? I have on every game I own. If it runs, it glitches. It's great for benchmarks and nothing else. You can have 970's in SLI and play Fallout 4, you can't have 390's in crossfire and play Fallout 4. How is that an advantage in future proofing for the 390?

Have you tried crossfire? I have on every game I own. If it runs, it glitches. It's great for benchmarks and nothing else. You can have 970's in SLI and play Fallout 4, you can't have 390's in crossfire and play Fallout 4. How is that an advantage in future proofing for the 390?

Yes how is is a game that is clearly biased towards Nvidia hardware a good example for this test.

Why would spend all that money on Skylake new CPU,Motherboard,DRR4 Ram and only get r9 390? devil's canyon i5 4690k z97 is cheaper and just as fast. and you can get 390x or Fury with difference.

Yes how is is a game that is clearly biased towards Nvidia hardware a good example for this test.

Because if you have to choose your games based on it not being a Gameworks game, you're not looking at things realistically. You should be able to buy the games you want, not the one's your GPU will match the best. For the cost of a 390 anyways.