Going SLI: Using Reference Cards Superior?

BigDay

If one were to setup their rig with their GPU's in 2-way SLI, would it be better to use the reference design cards so that the air blows out of the back of the PC instead of using the non-reference design cards where the hot air would get sandwiched between the cards? I'm concerned about the bottom card getting too hot. I've seen this far too often

How do the reference design cards perform relative to their non-reference design peers?

BigDay

Depends on what motherboard you have.

Well, it depends, if you wanna share some heat from the graphics cards then go for a open blower, of you done, go for a rear exhaust.

Personally I have two 980 Ti in SLI with reference design, they work great together. It's really your choice.

If one were to setup their rig with their GPU's in 2-way SLI, would it be better to use the reference design cards so that the air blows out of the back of the PC instead of using the non-reference design cards where the hot air would get sandwiched between the cards? I'm concerned about the bottom card getting too hot. I've seen this far too often

How do the reference design cards perform relative to their non-reference design peers?

If that doesn't help, personally I would go reference so that the bottom card isn't blowing it's heat into the top card. Just my opinion though, and I've never had more than one card so not an expert.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

From my experience it depends a bit on card placement If you have 4 pci-e slots and you're running cards in say slot 1 and 3 with an open slot between them either style runs pretty comparably. If they're running tight together you're usually better off with blower cards.

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker

From my experience it depends a bit on card placement If you have 4 pci-e slots and you're running cards in say slot 1 and 3 with an open slot between them either style runs pretty comparably. If they're running tight together you're usually better off with blower cards.

What he said. If they are right next to each other with little air gap, get reference designs. If there is some space it doesnt really matter. 

I had 2 EVGA non-reference 970's right next to each other. The top card got much hotter than the bottom card. Like 15C hotter under load. I also had very good ventilation.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

I have 2 asus 780ti's in sli and the top card is the one that was dyeing. I had 1 pcie slot between them and the top card was shutting down the computer due to overheating while the bottom one wasn't breaking 60C. I had every possible fan slot in my case filled trying to get air to it and no luck. I had to get an aio and mount it to the top card. The bottom one now acts normally, hitting about 75C in demanding games while the top one hovers around 40-45C. 

I can't say reference over non reference but its your top card thats gonna throttle, not the bottom one.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)