First Fallout 4 performance results

SteveGrabowski0

I don't know how games are coded. There's like one or two people here on the forum I'd believe over my own opinion and everyone else's since they're actually involved in the practice.

I just don't believe it's as simple as "Gameworks somehow makes Radeon cards run badly, even when disabled".

You don't know how they work but you don't "believe"? How fundamentalist of you, are you positive you don't want to argue in favor of intelligent design or something among those lines? I think we're done here.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's better to buy the better product regardless of the name on the box.

nVidia has the best support in games that's a big plus. Whenever I see GameWorks or TWIMTBP in the title, I know the company I chose is giving me the best options and in-game features. That should also factor into a buying decision along with everything else.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

If AMD had decent money they'd be able to just send people out like Nvidia does. They don't, though. So I don't think this is "laziness" on their part, it's just they're probably stretched way too thin.

Yeah, hopefully Zen is huge and saves the company.

This makes absolutely no sense since those AMD cards that are now leading were losing at launch. I'm not even sure YOU know what the hell you just said, You just put together random things to suit your preconceived notion, facts be damned.

Ever heard of driver variance?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

nVidia has the best support in games that's a big plus. Whenever I see GameWorks or TWIMTBP in the title, I know the company I chose is giving me the best options and in-game features. That should also factor into a buying decision along with everything else.

I play Gameworks games almost exclusively. I also use a Radeon GPU, two of them in fact. Never once have I felt left out, even with the release of Fallout 4. I'll ether crush it under the mighty weight of my crossfire, or if that's not possible yet (driver lists it so I'm hopeful) I'll just pull back the settings. On 1080p those costly ultra setting don't do that much. Drivers go back and forth, card performance stays the same. I buy based off of static factors, not dynamic.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

It's not only the latest Batman this goes way back to previous Batman whatever titles. Also you let me worry about my points, you go attack gameworks cherry picking titles if you want, I am not making such distinction, they should be hold accountable for all Gamework titles included the botched miserable failures.

To be fair, PhysX was very demanding on any hardware back then. GPUs simply didn't have the power to run a good looking game and process those kinds of effects at the same time. Of course if Nvidia had actually improved PhysX performance on the CPU back then it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

Nvidia has had pretty bad choices in partners but if you want to argue against Gameworks itself you are doing a pretty shit job of it. Stop being so bullheaded and actually take time to listen to what other people are saying.

I don't agree. AMD has some smart people over there and they almost always poop out some good stuff. They've been on GCN for idk how long now and they're still keeping up and sometimes beating Nvidia.

But if everyone went with the big players of the game rather than the other ones, we'd have a monopoly essentially and that's bad for everyone (I don't think AMD is going anywhere any time soon though).

Now, I want AMD to make a huge comeback with CPUs and even GPUs because I'm growing more and more cranky with Nvidia and Intel and I'm itching to switch completely.

To each his own. We just have different viewpoints and that's fine. :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I don't agree. AMD has some smart people over there and they almost always poop out some good stuff. They've been on GCN for idk how long now and they're still keeping up and sometimes beating Nvidia.

But if everyone went with the big players of the game rather than the other ones, we'd have a monopoly essentially and that's bad for everyone (I don't think AMD is going anywhere any time soon though).

Now, I want AMD to make a huge comeback with CPUs and even GPUs because I'm growing more and more cranky with Nvidia and Intel and I'm itching to switch completely.

I have pretty much the same sentiment. It's not that I like AMD, I just don't like Nvidia and Intel. I wouldn't mind if another competitor jumped into the CPU or GPU game, but there's a very low possibility of that so AMD is only other option. They're doing fine IMO already on the GPU front, now I just need them to get back in the CPU game with Zen. Another company jumping in and giving me more options is fine by me too.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

And which features or options are those? Because most of them are present on AMD as well

DSR vs VSR

Shadowplay vs VCE

Geforce Experience vs Gaming Evolved

And yes even the bad ones like Gameworks vs TressFX

-------

Current Rig

-------

I play Gameworks games almost exclusively. I also use a Radeon GPU, two of them in fact. Never once have I felt left out, even with the release of Fallout 4. I'll ether crush it under the mighty weight of my crossfire, or if that's not possible yet (driver lists it so I'm hopeful) I'll just pull back the settings. On 1080p those costly ultra setting don't do that much. Drivers go back and forth, card performance stays the same. I buy based off of static factors, not dynamic.

Most PC gamers aren't as observant and dedicated to good choices as you are. Case and point: Nvidia has like 85% market share with inferior products on most pricing tiers and people continue to argue in favor of them, reviewers continue to use mostly just Nvidia cards even after they are forced to agree an AMD product on the same price bracket performs better.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I know they are different architectures. I meant little brother in terms of performance. This performance difference is abnormal. The difference between the GCN 1.0 (7950/280) and GCN 1.2 (285/380) is better performance in tessellation and compression. Otherwise, they perform exactly the same in titles that are not heavy on tessellation, which puts them in line with the 760 and 960. I'll remind you again that the 680 and 7970 were the flagships of their generation. There's nothing normal about a 680 now losing to what is essentially a 7950 with better tesseslation and compression. Even with the improvements in GCN 1.2, the 285/380 still doesn't surprass the 7970/280x. This would be like a 980 losing to a 390 in about 4 years.

You say that, but with dx12 that looks to be the case from here on out lol.

Again, I expect drivers from both sides to level things out quite a bit.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

my mum says im special, and you can win a shirt with my face on it, its basically like Christmas but in November 

Holy fuck, I want that beautiful mug on my body. bless me with your face, oh mighty one.

Anybody know if crossfire works? Pretty please?

I doubt there is a profile yet. Whatever though, just force AFR 1x1 and you'll be good to go. Works perfectly in all games I've tried that don't have a pre-built profile.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Ever heard of driver variance?

So what you're saying is AMD's hardware  5 bajillion times better than Nvidia's and a 7950 now beating a 680 due to AMD finally releasing good drivers is normal? LOL.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

-snip-

I think you asked earlier, but not sure if anyone answered but reports are coming in that crossfire is not active on Fallout 4

"If you ain't first, you're last"

To be fair, PhysX was very demanding on any hardware back then. GPUs simply didn't have the power to run a good looking game and process those kinds of effects at the same time. Of course if Nvidia had actually improved PhysX performance on the CPU back then it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

Nvidia has had pretty bad choices in partners but if you want to argue against Gameworks itself you are doing a pretty shit job of it. Stop being so bullheaded and actually take time to listen to what other people are saying.

I disagree: their partner choices are bad by design since they specifically promote Gameworks as add in effects they don't have to work as hard on.

See if I try to sell a book of memory tricks by marketing as "Students, don't spend all of your time trying to comprehend and understand subjects, just use our memory enhacement techniques within this book!" I don't get to say "Oh is not my fault shit lazy students bought my product" when my marketing suggested that they should do so.

NVIDIA GameWorks™ pushes the limits of gaming by providing a more interactive and cinematic game experience and thus enabling next gen gaming for current games. We provide technologies e.g. PhysX and VisualFX, which are easy to integrate into games as well as tutorials and tools to quickly generate game content. In addition we also provide tools to debug, profile and optimize your code.

https://developer.nvidia.com/content/introducing-nvidia-gameworks

Nvidia is aiming for the low hanging fruit so that's what they're getting, how is this not their fault?

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's funny, because more people have had issues, for instance with NV than AMD drivers in the recent few years, on this very forum if I may add. Also AMD's Gaming evolved games run great across NV and AMD cards for as long as I can remember and are greatly optimized. Remember Arkham Knight? It ran terribly (and still does) on top tier NV cards, and that a NV title.

If NV features are that important to you then that's a no brainer, go with an NV card, but that doesn't mean they have best support in games. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. The same goes for AMD. Example is how SW: BAttlefront runs better on AMD cards. Now it's the other way round. At least until AMD releases proper drivers to even the scales a bit, which was dumb not to do for a game like this in the first place.

I'm not defending AMD, I could say a few things about them as well, just talking about NV in particular because they are not saints. Not a single company is.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

And which features or options are those? Because most of them are present on AMD as well

DSR vs VSR

Shadowplay vs VCE

Geforce Experience vs Gaming Evolved

And yes even the bad ones like Gameworks vs TressFX

I enjoy HairWorks(even if it's taxing as shit), PhysX, DSR, Shadowplay, driver support, etc. I've never had a problem with nVidia features or drivers. I've had a great experience with them with little to no complaints. They receive unneeded hate simply because they're more active than AMD and and never take into account that the companies developing the games may actually be the ones at fault. They see GameWorks and automatically think nVidia is the boogeyman looking to make PC gaming as miserable as can be.

JMO.

So what you're saying is AMD's hardware  5 bajillion times better than Nvidia's and a 7950 now beating a 680 due to AMD finally releasing good drivers is normal? LOL.

Then explain why the 390 is better than a 290x with the exact same hardware and specs and architecture?  You're contradicting yourself.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I disagree: their partner choices are bad by design since they specifically promote Gameworks as add in effects they don't have to work as hard on.

See if I try to sell a book of memory tricks by marketing as "Students, don't spend all of your time trying to comprehend and understand subjects, just use our memory enhacement techniques within this book!" I don't get to say "Oh is not my fault shit lazy students bought my product" when my marketing suggested that they should do so.

Nvidia is aiming for the low hanging fruit so that's what they're getting, how is this not their fault?

You say that and yet without a direct comparison to make it's not like we have seen someone else do it better.

Other engines have kinda-sorta approximated the effects being done, but I have yet to see anything close to a direct competitor (TressFX in motion on Tomb Raider was really unnatural looking). Perhaps with Deux Ex, TressFX 3.0 will turnup and offer similar or better results at similar or better performance hits. In which case, I will no longer care nor appreciate the addition of hairworks. In the mean time, adding optional eye-candy is never unacceptable to me personally.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

That's funny, because more people have had issues, for instance with NV than AMD drivers in the recent few years, on this very forum if I may add. Also AMD's Gaming evolved games run great across NV and AMD cards for as long as I can remember and are greatly optimized. Remember Arkham Knight? It ran terribly (and still does) on top tier NV cards, and that a NV title.

If NV features are that important to you then that's a no brainer, go with an NV card, but that doesn't mean they have best support in games. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. The same goes for AMD. Example is how SW: BAttlefront runs better on AMD cards. Now it's the other way round. At least until AMD releases proper drivers to even the scales a bit, which was dumb not to do for a game like this in the first place.

I'm not defending AMD, I could say a few things about them as well, just talking about NV in particular because they are not saints. Not a single company is.

I don't think that port has anything to do with nVidia, and I think any person can agree upon this. It's too easy to blame nVidia for all wrongdoing whilst totally never taking into account it might just be the developer themselves.

Most PC gamers aren't as observant and dedicated to good choices as you are. Case and point: Nvidia has like 85% market share with inferior products on most pricing tiers and people continue to argue in favor of them, reviewers continue to use mostly just Nvidia cards even after they are forced to agree an AMD product on the same price bracket performs better.

Not to go off topic but I used to be a Mechanic, and that experience taught me something. I could create a 15hp difference on the dyno with a motorcycle producing less than 100hp. Using the knowledge I had gained, and nothing else. You can fake any test. Anyone who has used any GPU knows each control panel has setting that can make your game run like dog shit (sorry Dog Meat). Not saying any of these tester would purposely sabotage a test, but we have a small percentage of the information needed to see why the GPUs scored the way they did. But on the surface drivers appear to be to blame. If in a week Radeon released a driver that gave the advantage to Radeon GPUs the fans would go wild. Makes you wonder if that's why they wait. ^_^

If anyone asks you never saw me.

You say that, but with dx12 that looks to be the case from here on out lol.

Again, I expect drivers from both sides to level things out quite a bit.

I want to believe, but only time will tell.

I think its pretty safe to say both recently and historically day 1 support for NV is better.

That said, yea drivers are no better overall.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I want to believe, but only time will tell.

Fair enough.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS