Critique my Gaming & Video Editing Build

NavXIII

Hey y'all,

In the summer I'll be building a new PC for gaming, Photoshop, video editing (Premiere Pro), VFX (After Effects), and 3D modelling (ZBrush & Maya).

Here's what I had in mind: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/pfXCxr

I'll be salvaging some parts from friends and family and including parts I already have. Those parts are shown as $0 in the link above. Also I would be building this when the next generation GPUs come out so the GPU I shown in the link is just a placeholder.

Here's a few questions I have:

1. Should I swap my mobo for something else? Out of all the computer parts, mobos seem to be the most confusing for me.
  2. Is the PSU ok or should I get something with more watts so I could possibly upgrade to SLI in the future?
  3. 970, 980, or 989ti? On my brother's PC the 970 can play MGS5 with 60fps on the highest setting. Does GPU greatly matter for Photoshop, video editing, VFX, or 3d modelling?
  4. I plan on getting a 4K monitor or an ultrawide monitor. Any recommendations? I already have a 28in Samsung 1080p monitor. The answer to this question will influence the answer to #3.
  5. What should I do with my storage devices? Should I get a 4-6TB internal HDD? A 500GB-1TB SSD? I already have an external 4TB drive. I have about 1TB worth of games

That PSU you will want at least 750-850W if you want to OC that 980TI and the CPU, and if you want SLI later. I recomend checking to see that AIO (your Cpu Cooler) as it says it may not be compatible with that case. Get a 2k Ultrawide, not a 4k, 4k is not ready for mainstream use and requires a lot more GPU Power. Get an OS from the  reddit page for Keys and ISO. https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ You only need around a 1-3 TB HDD for gaming and video stuff, with your SSD for Booting and other performance like your video editor.

And if your going to wait for the next big thing, you will be waiting for a very long time. 

Hey y'all,

In the summer I'll be building a new PC for gaming, Photoshop, video editing (Premiere Pro), VFX (After Effects), and 3D modelling (ZBrush & Maya).

I'll be salvaging some parts from friends and family and including parts I already have. Those parts are shown as $0 in the link above. Also I would be building this when the next generation GPUs come out so the GPU I shown in the link is just a placeholder.

1. Should I swap my mobo for something else? Out of all the computer parts, mobos seem to be the most confusing for me.
  2. Is the PSU ok or should I get something with more watts so I could possibly upgrade to SLI in the future?
  3. 970, 980, or 989ti? On my brother's PC the 970 can play MGS5 with 60fps on the highest setting. Does GPU greatly matter for Photoshop, video editing, VFX, or 3d modelling?
  4. I plan on getting a 4K monitor or an ultrawide monitor. Any recommendations? I already have a 28in Samsung 1080p monitor. The answer to this question will influence the answer to #3.
  5. What should I do with my storage devices? Should I get a 4-6TB internal HDD? A 500GB-1TB SSD? I already have an external 4TB drive. I have about 1TB worth of games

I honestly would switch that motherboard out, I'm not quite sure for what, but don't get anything that say "gaming" on it.

2. The Psu should be fine, as long as you're not going to be doing some hefty overclocking, but also having a little overhead isn't bad as well, I'd say yeah, move to a different psu.

3. If you're going to be gaming on this, on a 4k monitor in the future, and plan on getting a decent amount of fps, the 980ti isn't going to do you that well.

4. Not sure.

5. I think the 4tb you have now should be enough, if it doesn't suffice then, in the future pick one up. But for now just stick with it.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Follow your topics!

Hey y'all,

First, your CPU cooler doesn't even work with your case. Get that checked out.

Second, I think maybe you should get at least a 650W or 700W PSU, just to be safe with the high end parts and the overclocking

Third, you need more storage. Especially with video editing. Get a 2TB drive at dead minimum. Preferably a one or two 4 TB drives. You can use that Ext drive if you want to, but I personally like using internal drives, not that it matters. Also I really doubt you can dig an SSD out of a macbook. They're difficult to open, and I doubt it's removable.

Fourth, you may want at least 32 GB of ram if you're going to do all of that stuff

That's it, everything else looks good

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

up your ram and its speed for video editing; gpu only matters (above 750 and their amd counterparts) at resolutions above 1080p

Also pc partspicker says your H110 doesn't work with the case....?

Shipping sucks

Definitely need a gruntier PSU, 750W minimum

For your gpu try pick one from the following list for best compatibility and verification. Yes a better GPU will help you (But not as much as a cpu with lots of cores will) - one of the main things to look for is the memory bandwidth

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Also try get t least a 2TB HDD, you can always add more at a later date with ease

Your M.2 SSD will work fine, but I dont see the point as it is not very fast as far as SSD's are concerned

Now your CPU, more cores are better, for video editing (I run a 6 core) I would suggest to buy a second hand LGA 2011 6 or 8 core for better Price to performance

Ram can be easily upgraded later, start with 2x8GB sticks if budget is an issue but otherwise upwards of 24GB is great

Mobo seems ok, only downside being the amount of SATA ports though

For the monitor, try those 4K Curved LG cinema screens that Linus's editors use

Nikon D7000 for photo, Canon C100 for video

I honestly would switch that motherboard out, I'm not quite sure for what, but don't get anything that say "gaming" on it.

2. The Psu should be fine, as long as you're not going to be doing some hefty overclocking, but also having a little overhead isn't bad as well, I'd say yeah, move to a different psu.

3. If you're going to be gaming on this, on a 4k monitor in the future, and plan on getting a decent amount of fps, the 980ti isn't going to do you that well.

4. Not sure.

5. I think the 4tb you have now should be enough, if it doesn't suffice then, in the future pick one up. But for now just stick with it.

Nothing wrong with 'gaming' grade hardware. Sure, it's not on par with workstation/industry use, but its a hell of a lot better than standard consumer hardware.

That PSU you will want at least 750-850W if you want to OC that 980TI and the CPU, and if you want SLI later. I recomend checking to see that AIO (your Cpu Cooler) as it says it may not be compatible with that case. Get a 2k Ultrawide, not a 4k, 4k is not ready for mainstream use and requires a lot more GPU Power. Get an OS from the  reddit page for Keys and ISO. https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ You only need around a 1-3 TB HDD for gaming and video stuff, with your SSD for Booting and other performance like your video editor.

And if your going to wait for the next big thing, you will be waiting for a very long time. 

Totally forgot about OC. I'll change the PSU to 750 or 850. The AIO compatibility with my case seems a bit odd. The top mount can support 3 140mm fans and this is a 280mm radiator.

And the 900 series came out in September 2014. I thought nVidia GPUs follow a 1.5 year cycle? That would mean the new 1000 series GPUs would come out in early or mid 2016, which falls in the time span that I'll build my PC.

4. Not sure.

I dunno which mobo to go for so I just picked one with an M.2 drive and a nice red colour as a placeholder. =P

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($483.31 @ Vuugo)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($147.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($238.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($129.99 @ NCIX)

Storage: Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)

Storage: Kingston Predator 480GB PCI-E Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($892.69 @ Newegg Canada)

Case: Fractal Design Arc XL ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00)

Power Supply: XFX 850W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($105.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit)  ($169.99 @ NCIX)

Other: 250GB M.2 SSD - Macbook Air 2011 13in  (Purchased For $0.00)

Total: $2168.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 23:11 EST-0500

A bit overkill for a psu, but since it is in the price range.  xD

What does bronze, gold, plat, etc mean for PSUs? Does it matter? 

Follow your topics!

First, your CPU cooler doesn't even work with your case. Get that checked out.

Second, I think maybe you should get at least a 650W or 700W PSU, just to be safe with the high end parts and the overclocking

Third, you need more storage. Especially with video editing. Get a 2TB drive at dead minimum. Preferably a one or two 4 TB drives. You can use that Ext drive if you want to, but I personally like using internal drives, not that it matters. Also I really doubt you can dig an SSD out of a macbook. They're difficult to open, and I doubt it's removable.

Fourth, you may want at least 32 GB of ram if you're going to do all of that stuff

That's it, everything else looks good

1 & 2) See reply to first quote.

3) I'll go with a 4TB drive and use my external as a backup. The drive in my Macbook is actually a 250GB M.2 drive just like any other. Third party companies actually make replacement drives for Macbooks. When it finally kicks the can I'll take it out and throw it in there.

4) Good idea, I'll probably get 2 more sticks later on.

Definitely need a gruntier PSU, 750W minimum

For your gpu try pick one from the following list for best compatibility and verification. Yes a better GPU will help you (But not as much as a cpu with lots of cores will) - one of the main things to look for is the memory bandwidth

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Also try get t least a 2TB HDD, you can always add more at a later date with ease

Your M.2 SSD will work fine, but I dont see the point as it is not very fast as far as SSD's are concerned

Now your CPU, more cores are better, for video editing (I run a 6 core) I would suggest to buy a second hand LGA 2011 6 or 8 core for better Price to performance

Ram can be easily upgraded later, start with 2x8GB sticks if budget is an issue but otherwise upwards of 24GB is great

Mobo seems ok, only downside being the amount of SATA ports though

For the monitor, try those 4K Curved LG cinema screens that Linus's editors use

I think those monitors are 1440p? They are also $1300.

I forgot to ask this question in the OP. 5820 or 6700?

I took a look at FD's site, and it only supports dual 140s (your AIO) in the top that are SLIM radiators. So I guess PCPartpicker doesn't think your rad is slim enough to fit in there. I suggest you just get a define R5 or define S, as your board is standard ATX anyways, and both have FANTASTIC watercooling support.

For the macbook SSD, if I were you, I'd just get a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drive

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

In regards to the 6700K vs 5820K you wont see very much difference in GAMING between the two, but in VIDEO EDITING the 5820K will definitely perform way better (Plus it has more PCI lanes and supports faster ram)

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5820K

(Scroll down a bit to the specs compared - Ignore the synthetic benchmarks)

In regards to the 6700K vs 5820K you wont see very much difference in GAMING between the two, but in VIDEO EDITING the 5820K will definitely perform way better (Plus it has more PCI lanes and supports faster ram)

While I concur that the 5820K will be faster than a 6700K in terms of video editing and not gaming, keep in mind that you will spend more on the 5820K and possibly more with the X99 motherboard

The 5820K has more CPU lanes for more video cards and other expansion cards, but both CPUs will be using DDR4. Unless you can find a skylake motherboard that takes DDR3, but I'd use DDR4 since you're spending so much anyways

Need to fix this link, post the permalink.

PCPartPicker says the H110i GTX is not compatible with the ARC XL. I don't know why since it is a "thin" radiator (total depth with fan 51mm) and Fractal Design says the case will take up to 3x120mm in the top.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Need to fix this link, post the permalink.

PCPartPicker says the H110i GTX is not compatible with the ARC XL. I don't know why since it is a "thin" radiator (total depth with fan 51mm) and Fractal Design says the case will take up to 3x120mm in the top.

Mate, an H110i has a dual 140mm rad. Thickness (depth) is clearly the enemy here, and not width or length

I took a look at FD's site, and it only supports dual 140s (your AIO) in the top that are SLIM radiators. So I guess PCPartpicker doesn't think your rad is slim enough to fit in there. I suggest you just get a define R5 or define S, as your board is standard ATX anyways, and both have FANTASTIC watercooling support.

For the macbook SSD, if I were you, I'd just get a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drive

The stuff listed as $0 are stuff I already have so no need to get a Samsung 950 Pro. I'm thinking of using my Predator PCIE SSD as a boot drive and storing games I use really often that would benefit from fast read speeds. The Macbook M.2 SSD I could use as a temporary project drive storing all the stuff I'm currently working on. No clue what should I do with my 120 SSD. My 4TB internal drive will store anything I didn't list and completed projects.

Also I'd rather swap the AIO rather than getting a new case. I got it at a discounted price at LMG's garage sale and even got it signed by them.

l32TPSa.jpg

While I concur that the 5820K will be faster than a 6700K in terms of video editing and not gaming, keep in mind that you will spend more on the 5820K and possibly more with the X99 motherboard

Here's the new build is 5820K. Swapped the AIO, and added the LG ultrawide monitor as a placeholder. 

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/7qdNMp

The stuff listed as $0 are stuff I already have so no need to get a Samsung 950 Pro. I'm thinking of using my Predator PCIE SSD as a boot drive and storing games I use really often that would benefit from fast read speeds. The Macbook M.2 SSD I could use as a temporary project drive storing all the stuff I'm currently working on. No clue what should I do with my 120 SSD. My 4TB internal drive will store anything I didn't list and completed projects.

Also I'd rather swap the AIO rather than getting a new case. I got it at a discounted price at LMG's garage sale and even got it signed by them.

l32TPSa.jpg

Here's the new build is 5820K. Swapped the AIO, and added the LG ultrawide monitor as a placeholder. 

Oh, you didn't mention that part. Yeah, use the H100i and call it a day

l32TPSa.jpg

Dude that case is Sick!

Also try get 2x 2TB blacks and RAID 0 them (As opposed to just 1 4TB) - Will be faster that way

Mate, an H110i has a dual 140mm rad. Thickness (depth) is clearly the enemy here, and not width or length

Corsair lists the H110i GTX radiator as 26mm thick. Is that not considered "slim"?

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/fractal_design_arc_xl_review/4.htm suggests an H110 (29mm radiator) will fit.

Corsair lists the H110i GTX radiator as 26mm thick. Is that not considered "slim"?

I don't know, I don't look at rad thickness when I think about water cooling

Typical fans are about 25mm, so you're strapping on about another fan's worth of thickness plus a few more mm for screw length

I don't know, I don't look at rad thickness when I think about water cooling

Typical fans are about 25mm, so you're strapping on about another fan's worth of thickness plus a few more mm for screw length

Fractal Design says "slim" radiator AIO up to 380mm will fit in the top of that case.

Fractal Design says "slim" radiator AIO up to 380mm will fit in the top of that case.

Welp then I don't know, it's fine OP got a H100i anyways

Dude that case is Sick!

Also try get 2x 2TB blacks and RAID 0 them (As opposed to just 1 4TB) - Will be faster that way

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/fractal_design_arc_xl_review/4.htm suggests an H110 (29mm radiator) will fit.

Swapped the H100i to the H110i again (if I put it in the front, it seems like there's a lot more space there). Swapped 4TB drive to 2 2TB drive (cost like $50 more). You think Raid 0 is a good idea on HDDs? My brother had a bad WD Black 2 years in. I also added a few other drives I had laying around. No clue with what to do with them.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/jNxhQ7

Swapped the H100i to the H110i again (if I put it in the front, it seems like there's a lot more space there). Swapped 4TB drive to 2 2TB drive (cost like $50 more). You think Raid 0 is a good idea on HDDs? My brother had a bad WD Black 2 years in. I also added a few other drives I had laying around. No clue with what to do with them.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/jNxhQ7

I am not a fan of RAID 0. If one is going to put drives in a RAID array, I would suggest considering drives designed for that purpose: WD Red, Seagate NAS, and Hitachi NAS drives. Given that there are two ssd in the system, one being 480GB, I doubt the added performance of a RAID 0 array will make a noticeable difference.

The psu is not that great. You probably want EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR. But, if the idea is to get a psu large enough to support two gpu, then an 850W model would be much better.

X99 supports quad channel memory. You should get a 4x4GB quad channel memory kit. Since the motherboard has 8 memory slots, there will still be 4 slots free for an upgrade.

Unless there are particular features in Windows 10 Pro that will be used, the standard version will do the job.

I am not a fan of RAID 0. If one is going to put drives in a RAID array, I would suggest considering drives designed for that purpose: WD Red, Seagate NAS, and Hitachi NAS drives. Given that there are two ssd in the system, one being 480GB, I doubt the added performance of a RAID 0 array will make a noticeable difference.

The psu is not that great. You probably want EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR. But, if the idea is to get a psu large enough to support two gpu, then an 850W model would be much better.

X99 supports quad channel memory. You should get a 4x4GB quad channel memory kit. Since the motherboard has 8 memory slots, there will still be 4 slots free for an upgrade.

Unless there are particular features in Windows 10 Pro that will be used, the standard version will do the job.

I thought Windows 10 Home supports up to 16GB but my googling says not. Is quad channel memory something I'll notice while editing, rendering, gaming, etc?

Swapped W10 Pro for Home. Swapped 2x 2TB HDDs for 4TB. Swapped 2x8 RAM for 4x4 RAM (it actually costs more) and added up to 32GB. Annnnd slowly the price goes up lol.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/MWmVNG

I thought Windows 10 Home supports up to 16GB but my googling says not. Is quad channel memory something I'll notice while editing, rendering, gaming, etc?

Swapped W10 Pro for Home. Swapped 2x 2TB HDDs for 4TB. Swapped 2x8 RAM for 4x4 RAM (it actually costs more) and added up to 32GB. Annnnd slowly the price goes up lol.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/MWmVNG

Windows XP and 7 have a 16GB memory limit in the Home Premium edition. Windows 8 & 10 support up to 128GB in the standard edition.

If you want 32GB of memory, consider Kingston HyperX Fury Black 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory.

Quad channel memory will make a difference in memory intensive operations. It doesn't seem to affect gaming noticeably but rendering and some editing functions do benefit.