Slow Mo camera question

I was watching a random slow motion video on youtube. They had recorded 4 seconds of video that took up 96gb. My question is what kind of media can you write to, that goes at 24gb/s? 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

It must be the fastest DDR4 then. The fastest is DDR4-3200 that transfers *up to* 25,600mb/s. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

ram
sort of like how GPU vram can write at several hundred GBps

thats why those cameras can only take a few seconds of video, the ram fills up fast
then it gets stored on an SSD so that you can record again

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It must be the fastest DDR4 then. The fastest is DDR4-3200 that transfers *up to* 25,600mb/s. 

Nvidiamemory.png

GDDR5

150+ GigaBYTES per second

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They're constantly writing over their RAM. Which is why you can press record and it records the past second + 3 more. It then saves the RAM to an SSD after recording.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

Nvidiamemory.png

GDDR5

150+ GigaBYTES per second

I completely forgot about VRAM. Imagine if flash drives had VRAM (and ports that supported those speeds)

I completely forgot about VRAM. Imagine if flash drives had VRAM (and ports that supported those speeds)

wouldnt really work, to be that fast the memory needs to be extremely close to the CPU

like it is on the cameras

having the memory IN the CPU makes it even faster, as you can see with the L2 cache at 500+GBps

but internal cache is usually very little, hopefully in the future all system memory will be in the CPU and we can get those crazy speed :)

Spoiler

The ports are the hard thing. Its a similar problem as to why you can't have a CPU riser.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

That's just single channel, DDR Ram is usually used in a dual channel configuration.

I was watching a random slow motion video on youtube. They had recorded 4 seconds of video that took up 96gb. My question is what kind of media can you write to, that goes at 24gb/s? 

My bet is Cfast2, compact flash or proprietary SSDs.

Cfast2 and compact flash are older formats of data storage that have the image processor CPU/data processor on the cards themselves, making them much more expensive but also allows for faster then normal(SD card) storage.

SSDs, well we know that...

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

If you're all talking about a camera like the Phantom Flex super high speed cameras, they use RAM chips for internal storage/buffer as written in their specifications.  Which then gets transferred to a more permanent storage medium such as a SSD or HDD or high capacity memory cards.

http://www.visionresearch.com/Products/High-Speed-Cameras/Flex4K

The price of these cameras can go up to 6 digits.  They are used by the SlowMo Guys on YouTube.

http://petapixel.com/2014/07/07/4k-raw-1000fps-astounding-test-video-shot-phantom-flex4k/

https://www.youtube.com/user/theslowmoguys

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Like others have said, it's saved to RAM and then moved to SSD. There is a reason it can only record 4 seconds and at extremely low resolutions. It is not currently possible to record continously at those frame rates.

I'm assuming you're talking about this video:

In which case the camera is a Phantom V2511, a $150k camera that is capable of a million frames per second in a 128*32 resolution. Its max resolution is 1280*800.

https://www.visionresearch.com/Products/High-Speed-Cameras/v2511

Cfast2 and compact flash are older formats of data storage that have the image processor on the cards themselves, making them much more expensive but also allows for faster then normal(SD card) storage.

What do you mean by image processor?

What do you mean by image processor?

the chip inside the Cfast/compact flash cards, I just realized it's not the best word choice... let me fix that.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.