Tesla will restrict Autopilot mode to stop people “doing crazy things”

Original Article: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/11/tesla-will-restrict-self-driving-autopilot-mode-to-stop-people-doing-crazy-things/

During a quarterly financial call, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has revealed some interesting details about the future of the Model S's Autopilot feature. Most notably, Musk said that "additional constraints" will be added to the activation of Autopilot, to "minimize the possibility of people doing crazy things."

Musk said on the call that around 40,000 Model Ses currently have Autopilot mode available to them. He said those 40,000 cars are logging about a million miles of driving per day—but he didn't clarify if that was the total number of miles driven, or the number of Autopiloted miles driven. In any case, Musk said that the "early data is very positive... we're very aware of many accidents that were prevented by Autopilot, and not aware of any that were caused by Autopilot."

Still, Musk wasn't pleased with "some fairly crazy videos" on YouTube. "This is not good. We will be putting some additional constraints on when Autopilot can be activated to minimise the possibility of people doing crazy things." Musk didn't say when those constraints would arrive, but considering Autopilot is still in beta testing, we'd expect an over-the-air software update sooner rather than later.

Autopilot takes Ron Amadeo for a test drive. Video shot/edited by Jennifer Hahn.

Musk declined to say what the additional Autopilot activation constraints might be. Most other cars with semi-self-driving features usually require that your hands stay on the steering wheel, deactivating if you remove your hands. Tesla's Autopilot, however, will continue to automatically steer if you remove your hands. Tesla suggests that drivers keep their hands on the steering wheel when enabling Autopilot, but it isn't currently enforced in software—which may change after Musk's comments today.

The Tesla CEO also said that he was aware of some users experiencing errors with Autopilot, but downplayed their significance. "It was described as a beta release. The system will learn over time and get better and that’s exactly what it’s doing. It will start to feel quite refined within a couple of months." There are plenty of videos of Autopilot errors on the Web. They mostly seem to involve the Model S getting confused and lurching to one side, even on straight roads.

We take Tesla's self-driving (well, driver-assist) technology for a spin.

Finally, Musk shifted gears to talk about the future of Autopilot and autonomous cars. If you're not part of the Autopilot beta test, and didn't add the Autopilot package (£2,100 or $2,500) when buying your Model S, "in the coming months" you will be able to do an "in-app purchase" (Musk's words) for £2,500 or $3,000 to enable Autopilot features.

More generally, Musk reiterated his vision for the future: "All cars will be fully autonomous in the long term. I think it will be quite unusual to see new cars that don't have full autonomy in the 15-to-20-year time frame. For Tesla it will be a lot sooner than that. Any cars that are being made that don’t have autonomy will have negative value."

"£2,500 or $3,000 to enable Autopilot features."

for a freaking software feature??

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

aw HELL NAW. if only self driving cars knew how to drift, or will it take the fun out of drifting?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

aw HELL NAW. if only self driving cars knew how to drift, or will it take the fun out of drifting?

no, cause we could do it without worrying about hurting anyone xD

No brainier, but people will surely find a way to override them for their 15 minutes of fame.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

No brainier, but people will surely find a way to override them for their 15 minutes of fame.

i wonder if the car will let them crash tho.

Most of us has seen this 

no, cause we could do it without worrying about hurting anyone xD

yeah, but drifting's about skill and keeping the car swinging while maintaining control. it would be boring to see self driving drift cars.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

yeah, but drifting's about skill and keeping the car swinging while maintaining control. it would be boring to see self driving drift cars.

but it would stil be fun to be in it.

I wonder if you can ever drift in awd tesla xD

but it would stil be fun to be in it.

I wonder if you can ever drift in awd tesla xD

you can drift an evo, an sti, even an r35/awd r34. pretty sure a p95d can.

you can drift an evo, an sti, even an r35/awd r34. pretty sure a p95d can.

prb, but we are a minority that wants to.

I feel like you're very much downplaying the fact that it's a god damn self driving car there mate... (A software feature lol)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Wow is Tesla becoming Capcom? Charging people to unlock features that are already installed. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I feel like you're very much downplaying the fact that it's a god damn self driving car there mate... (A software feature lol)

software is expensive ever seen what some plugins for adobe software cost?

Wouldn't they also need to install the hardware for the autopilot? I think that's why it's so expensive. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Wouldn't they also need to install the hardware for the autopilot? I think that's why it's so expensive.

nope just a flip of a switch.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

you should see autodesk plugins..

I wonder how long it will take for someone to crack teslas code or activation for the car to be self driving...

System:
CPU: I7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz | Motherboard: something with chips | RAM: 8 Gb of something | GPU: AMD HD 7600M | Case: Something made out of plastic | Storage: Toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB | PSU: something external | Display(s): something glowing | Cooling: jet engine | Keyboard: hama something | Mouse: Logitech something | Sound: Traktor Kontrol S2 as soundcard, AKG K500 Headphones | Operating System: Windoof 10

I was in favor of that, since I happen to be an application programmer; however, Adobe being your price comparison is laughable at best, since they infamous for hiking up their prices to ungodly levels.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Wasn't Linus' 4k firmware update for his big camera 4k USD? 3000 almost seems reasonable compared to that :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Wasn't Linus' 4k firmware update for his big camera 4k USD? 3000 almost seems reasonable compared to that :)

I believe he had to get something added on and he had to send it in