What about an LTT live chat window?

Br3tt96

What about an LTT live chat window, so we can all gather up and chat? I gather we're doing that now, but I'd like to see a quicker way of chatting!

Put different groups for different topics and stuff...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

You want to kill us all, don't you?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Won't be done - we had IRC running for a bit, wasn't used much.

you're an evil one...

I like you.

Good Idea, but have you seen the twitch chat ever?

Nope, I never get on Twitch

Have you seen the Twitch chat? It moves way too fast for anyone to have conversation. 

That's why I recommend different groups for different topics. 

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

No way! I'll pay for the server to host the IRC chat on! 

blackshades on

In addition to it not being used much, moderation would be extremely difficult.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

There was/is one. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11065-join-us-on-the-linus-tech-tips-irc/

As far as I know, people just never used it. 

Needs to be advertised better. Somewhere at the bottom, or top of the page. More official I guess you could say.

blackshades on

I find that hard to believe that it wasn't tucked in the corner. These days there's so many "LTT Otakus" that I guarantee an address or local chat box at the top of the board index would be a war zone

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Nope, I never get on Twitch

That's why I recommend different groups for different topics. 

So... Like a forum? 

There are threads in Off Topic that have different subjects to talk about, such as cars, anime, films and so on. They're easier to follow, unlike chat rooms, which move too fast, and there's not really any way of catching up on what's happened if you leave for a bit. 

What about an LTT live chat window, so we can all gather up and chat? I gather we're doing that now, but I'd like to see a quicker way of chatting!

Put different groups for different topics and stuff...

Look at the twitch chat, Look how that does not work, Come back and think again.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

So... Like a forum? 

There are threads in Off Topic that have different subjects to talk about, such as cars, anime, films and so on. They're easier to follow, unlike chat rooms, which move too fast, and there's not really any way of catching up on what's happened if you leave for a bit. 

I guess that is a good point...

Spoiler

Main Rig

Plex Server WIP

Lenovo Legion Laptop

Needs to be advertised better. Somewhere at the bottom, or top of the page. More official I guess you could say.

True, that would make it more noticeable, but then it would have to be moderated, as it's official. Moderating a Twitch chat is hard enough for a few hours, it's pretty much impossible for it to be moderated 24/7. 

True, that would make it more noticeable, but then it would have to be moderated, as it's official. Moderating a Twitch chat is hard enough for a few hours, it's pretty much impossible for it to be moderated 24/7. 

Somehow link your LTT account to the IRC account. Run some bots, and hire a few moderators that are willing to be on once in a while.  It would be hard.

blackshades on

Somehow link your LTT account to the IRC account. Run some bots, and hire a few moderators that are willing to be on once in a while. 

That doesn't solve the issue of moderating. If someone's being racist or w/e in the chat room while no mods are on, then even if there is a report button, the mods will have to sift through the chat log to find it, then take action. 

While it may be fun for some users to chat in there, it would just create a lot more work for existing and potentially new IRC mods, while not really adding anything to the forum or community. 

On a much smaller forum/game server I'm an admin on, we had a chat box to start with, but it just got out of hand, with so many rules being broken, people constantly asking for help from admins/mods and so on. I can only imagine what it would be like on a forum of this size. Moderating users on a small forum is hard enough, moderating a fast moving chat room is way too much work if you ask me. 

That doesn't solve the issue of moderating. If someone's being racist or w/e in the chat room while no mods are on, then even if there is a report button, the mods will have to sift through the chat log to find it, then take action. 

While it may be fun for some users to chat in there, it would just create a lot more work for existing and potentially new IRC mods, while not really adding anything to the forum or community. 

On a much smaller forum/game server I'm an admin on, we had a chat box to start with, but it just got out of hand, with so many rules being broken, people constantly asking for help from admins/mods and so on. I can only imagine what it would be like on a forum of this size. Moderating users on a small forum is hard enough, moderating a fast moving chat room is way too much work if you ask me. 

Bots that will auto-warn for racist words, bank out racist words, ect. Ban the IRC account, and disallow that LTT user to re-register under their LTT account. I mean it's all possible and fixable but it would take a lot of work. I managed to run a chat with 200+ users. It took some work, and you're always going to run into spammers, but it's very much possible. 

You're right about it not adding much to the community. 

blackshades on

It was kinda advertised. With top of page webchat box. Still not much use. And you can still use Twitch chat while there isn't stream running. But I think most members who like to chat use one of unofficial TS3 servers instead.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv