Why do we need more than 24fps in games...

CyberJesus88

Can you please source where any scientist or doctor says "We can only see 24 fps"?

Last I heard the human eye isn't a camera it doesn't actually see in frame rate intervals. 

according to science we can only see can only see 24fps.

If that is true then why can I notice when my fps dips to 50?

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

Its smoother when its higher than 24fps. When I play counter-strike i get like 100fps maxed out on my 60hz monitor. When i play battlefield 3 i get only 30ish and it seems a lot less fluid. try it out.

I agree. Going from something like arma 2 running at 30FPS to CSGO running at 100+ is night and day in terms of how smooth everything is.

Even if we could only see at 24fps. that doesn't mean we're synched up with the darn screen, we can still see moments between frames, and it kills immersion. If I spin around really fast at 24fps in a first person game, it's going to look really bad.

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

^^Go there and tell me you can't see a difference between 60 and 30.

It's all about that motion blur, it burns us.

hey I already own that keyboard :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

So 24fps is good enough for movies and according to science we can only see can only see 24fps.

So why do we need higher for games.

Opinions?

Not this again. 

That's 15 vs 30 vs 60

And 'science' doesn't say we can only see 24fps, in fact we don't see in frames per second at all etc. blah blah blah. It's been posted ten million times I couldn't be bothered explaining it any further, you get the idea.

Check out the difference between a game running at 30fps, 60fps and a game running at 120fps on a 120Hz monitor, then tell me you can't see more than 24fps

Pretty sure hes not saying there is no difference.. im pretty sure he is asking why is there a noticible difference in gaming and not other media.

always took well you can't see a difference above 30fps, as "my PC can't play games above 30fps"

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

Movies stay at a constant 24 fps so it gives the illusion that it isnt laggy and they also use many tricks like motion blur. if you compare a movie in 24 fps and the same movie at 60 you will see the difference. Kinda like buying a regular dvd and the Blue ray version. Also as someone said before humans dont see in frames and yes we can see the difference in frame rates on a monitor. 30 - 60 - 90 - 120 will always look different and smoother as the higher the number goes and Im willing to bet that no matter how high the number goes we humans will always be able to tell the difference. Really I think its just what ever looks good to us looks good to us so if your happy with 30 stick with 30 or if you want 60 aim for 60.

well, it actually up to the human brain see the eye is only responsible for 10% of sight the rest if figured out by our brains simple do to the fact there is to much info for our eyes alone to take in... SCIENCE!!!

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

24fps is acceptable to 1920 standards in regards to saving theaters costs by shortening the film to the shortest acceptable rate while maintaining a decent audio quality. 

Plus films do not have input lag from the user...

active input, your mouse will be extremely laggy, at 60hz the mouse is extremely smooth

ever tried 120hz? the mouse is way more smooth its awesome 

i got better aim in shooter games

and in windows the mouse is way smoother 

you should try it

Once you get above 60, it is very hard to tell the difference, and most monitors only are 60 hz so we could only see 60 frames

you are wrong every tried a 120/144hz monitor?

you can definitly see the diffrence between 60fps and 120

way smoother

Movies are not fine at 24fps, but you never really notice how badly it is, because the camera men knows, and they try to avoid panning the camera too much. If you find a movie clip where they pan the camera, you will notice the jerkyness. Though you can definitely notice it with any kind of movement as well.

Secondly, movies and TV have motion blur, so the movement is somewhat smoothed.

Raw mouse input. If you used a controller it feels smoother because it moves in a more fluid sense, it has acceleration. A mouse with no mouse acceleration and raw input will feel alot "laggier" than a controller. Thats why consoles have such low framrates, usually around 30. If you were to watch a game play at 24 fps thats no problem but if you were playing it, like moving the mouse and all that then thats a different story.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

24FPS is just when it starts to feel like a fluid motion but it is in now way the limit to what we can see

Gaming rig: CPU: I5-2500K GPU: EVGA 660TI 3GB SC+ RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengence 1600MHz SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo Keyboard: Razer Black Widow ultimate Mouse: Logitech MX Master Monitor: 2x Acer 21.5 inch

Laptop Dell 7559: CPU: i7-6700HQ GPU: GTX 960M 4GB RAM: 8GB 1600MHz

Movies are fine at 24fps because they are pre rendered. Also notice when you pause a movie you get a blurred frame, so when all these blurred frames are played together they create a smooth image.

With games, since the frames are rendered as needed, more frames are needed to perceive a smooth image (if you screenshot a game you get a solid image, nothing blurry like a movie). At lower fps', a change in fps is much more noticeable than a change in fps when the fps is much greater, this is why people find higher fps smoother and therefore more playable.

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

at 24 fps you stop seeing individual frames and the image becomes a motion picture. more frames you get the more fluid the image looks. so that is no true. for movies 24p is excellent

Smoother experience.

And what is considered a motion picture is like 13-18 frames displayed per second.

LOL! Is r/Pcmasterrace leaking`?

4RCRGSS.jpg

unRAID 6.3.5 Plus | CASE: Fractal Define R5 | MOBO: Supermicro X9DRL-iF | MEMORY: Samsung ECC REG 64GB 8x8GB | CPU: 2 x XEON E5-2670v1 | PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W | DRIVES: 1 x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB [Parity drive] 2 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB [Data drives] 4 x WD Red 4TB NAS Harddrive [Data drives] | CACHE: 2 x Crucial MX300 275GB SSD [Cache drives in RAID1] | 1 x HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" SSD [Plex drive] | OS drive: Kingston Datatraveler SE9 16GB USB drive

https://technicalramblings.com/

I am reluctant to enter this discussion because it is a topic that some people just don't have the capacity to understand, this is not an insult, this is just fact that reflects a large number of people. 

Here is an experiment for people to try.  Hold your hand in front of you and wave it back and forth so your hand move at least a foot. The faster you move it back and forth the more blurry it will become.  The reality of this is that when you move your hand there are NO frames, it is 100% motion where there is no stationary image in what you see.  So how to explain the blur? it is because whilst the eye can receive information at 220+ times a second, it cannot reset itself quick enough to resolve every single instance that it receives optical input.  The brain actually fills in the gaps, and with any computer game with feedback and input lag our brains are fast enough to know that the information it is receiving from the monitor is different (by the lag time) to the input we have given it, this is why people know when a computer is playing higher or lower frame rates, but why hardly anyone can tell the difference between two prerendered videos with no interactive inputs.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So 24fps is good enough for movies and according to science we can only see can only see 24fps.

So why do we need higher for games.

Opinions?

Thats not correct. We see fluid motion with about 24 FPS. BUT we can recognise more 60fps.

And i clearly see a difference when I game with 60 or 24 fps!

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

Thats not correct. We see fluid motion with about 24 FPS. BUT we can recognise more 60fps.

And i clearly see a difference when I game with 60 or 24 fps!

As I have said before we can see to about 75FPS, however, most of the difference we perceive in a video game is the lag between physical  input and visual output in the system, not solely the eyes detecting a difference in frame rates.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Sorry bro but your "science" Is wrong. 24 frames per second is the cut off point where the brain stops distinguishing the difference between still images and views the source as a moving image.

The brain Is perfectly capable of processing and differentiation between 24 to 30, 30 to 60, 60 to 120, 120 to 144, and so on.

Our visual system doesn't even work in frames per second either. It's more of the ability for your brain to interpret a constant stream of light being captured by your eye ball, and given that, a perceivable images "frame rate" could be a maximum of the lights wave length. 

the point where it becomes indistinguishable is about 200-400fps depending on the person.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!