Why do we need more than 24fps in games...

CyberJesus88

So 24fps is good enough for movies and according to science we can only see can only see 24fps.

So why do we need higher for games.

Opinions?

So 24fps is good enough for movies and according to science we can only see can only see 24fps.

Opinions?

How can we only see 24fps "according to science", exactly?

"The internet is a series of tubes"

Incase it drops below 24, you will usualy want higher and some people don't like 24FPS they say it is as immersive.

I can't stand 30 fps or lower I like to lower settings to get a steady 50-60 where possible.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

if we can only see 24 FPS how come people have started filming in 48 fps example the hobbit and VGHS its BS also anything below 30 is not exactly silky smooth.

Opinions?

It's a myth.

Uh... have you ever seen 24Fps gameplay, it looks horrible, and Fps might drop to 15Fps, i hate when Fps goes under 70, but 70Fps is not possible whit my gtx 650 in any game.

Even if we could only see at 24fps. that doesn't mean we're synched up with the darn screen, we can still see moments between frames, and it kills immersion. If I spin around really fast at 24fps in a first person game, it's going to look really bad.

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

^^Go there and tell me you can't see a difference between 60 and 30.

It's all about that motion blur, it burns us.

You see, the thing telling you you can only see 24 fps is not science.

We don't see in frames.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's the same reason why I can play a game on console at 30fps but the exact same game on PC I need 45+. It's the motion blur.

I can whip around very fast with a keyboard and mouse not so fast on a console. That's why PC needs the higher fps.

And 24fps is good for movies because its not shitty enough people will complain but its shitty enough they can save money. That's the reason it is 24fps. Not sience.

I love the internet but you got to not believe everything on there.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

If your controlling it you can tell the 24 fps (ie games) but if you just watching a movie i cant tell the Fps difference.

I am a happy wuffy

Edit: I keep screwing up my edits... 

Sounds like me haha can never edit it right

I am a happy wuffy

Like many people have said before, our eyes do not see "frames"

Try this, see if you can tell the difference  http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

Edit: turn motion blur off the results are clearer that way

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

--snip--

http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

I like this one. 60fps really lags compared to 90fps.

And this is a perfect example

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/high-frame-rate-video

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

To the OP, play a game at 25FPS. Go ahead. Do it. Then switch to 60FPS. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The game slutters at 24fps(some game have sound slutters). Movies playback I don't mind if it's 24fps. But when it comes to games that utilize your graphics card, it's different.

Sorry bro but your "science" Is wrong. 24 frames per second is the cut off point where the brain stops distinguishing the difference between still images and views the source as a moving image.

The brain Is perfectly capable of processing and differentiation between 24 to 30, 30 to 60, 60 to 120, 120 to 144, and so on.

Our visual system doesn't even work in frames per second either. It's more of the ability for your brain to interpret a constant stream of light being captured by your eye ball, and given that, a perceivable images "frame rate" could be a maximum of the lights wave length. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |