Parents + Video Games

Bruu Betyr

Ok, i have this problem (probably like many others) where my parents want me to stick to this 'you can only play an hour a day' rule.

Nearly all my friends play video games, i want to extend my playing time, but they never allow it? And for a while now i had been looking into building a PC, but now that i look at it. I dont see what the point of spending 1000+ dollars on a pc when i can only use it to a certain degree. I just want to know what you think.

Edit: Just so you know, i can use it whenever i like for things like surfing, photoshop or any other creative software.

Shall i build it and keep trying to extend my time, maybe by showing them what else i spend my free time on.

Or save the money for something else

Edited by airdeano
Personal Information Released

-snip-

My parents did the same thing. I just decided it wasn't worth it so I went out said and ignored my pc for nearly a month. They were impressed and said I could play all I want is long is I keep playing with friends and stuff.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

I would focus on creative stuff, like 3D animation, video editing, motion graphics, etc. Listen to your parents though. I don't know how dedicated you are to gaming. You could just take up another hobby.

GTX 980 Ti / 5820k / 16 GB DDR4 / 500 GB SSD / ATH-M50X

I used to have that 1 hour per day rule when I was younger, basically I just got straight A's in school while playing games like 6hrs+ a day. Then the rule just became non existent.

Also, I don't know how building a pc will allow you to spend more time on it...... 

-snip-

Gaming gets boring anyway.

I used to play a lot but when you get out into the world and find a job, you'll have no time for gaming.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Well you can fiddle around with more things using a PC

You can go beyond the realm of video games and explore coding or CAD

I personally have the same issue, but I started finding other useful ways to use my PC

I could finally learn C# and even do 3-d modeling

A PC does more than video games

Tell them if your grades are good you should be able to play longer. I can play as long as I want as long as I get mostly A's and B's . Also $1000 is the MAX you have to spend. At 12 all I did was playing minecraft lol and farming sim 2013. You could get away with a $700 PC, decent i5 and R9 380 which will be more than enough to last you 2-3 years.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

-snip-

You kinda have to listen to your parents at that age..

ANYWAY unless your extremely smart you dont need a 1k+ computer. Perhaps try building a console killer? But thats your choice :P

I build forums/websites  and was a administrator for a pretty large forum. That way my parents saw it as a learning experience. I slowly was allowed more time to manage these things and game.

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Have you even asked your parent why you can only play for 1 Hour ?

They say that I'm capable of so much and they don't want me wasting my time

I would focus on creative stuff, like 3D animation, video editing, motion graphics, etc. Listen to your parents though. I don't know how dedicated you are to gaming. You could just take up another hobby.

I'm not dedicated,you see. And I mostly play with friends I don't see anymore,I move alot so gaming + skype is how I have fun with them

I used to have that 1 hour per day rule when I was younger, basically I just got straight A's in school while playing games like 6hrs+ a day. Then the rule just became non existent.

Also, I don't know how building a pc will allow you to spend more time on it......

I have very good test results, but my parents arent the kind that reward me for grades. They say good results are a reward in them self, wich I believe in

is that true ? that you are a very smart student that in the Top 10 ? a 12y/o boy should have more than 1 hour to play game, atleast 2.5-3 Hours of gameplay

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

Well you can fiddle around with more things using a PC
You can go beyond the realm of video games and explore coding or CAD

I personally have the same issue, but I started finding other useful ways to use my PC
I could finally learn C# and even do 3-d modeling

A PC does more than video games

My dad is a programmer, so he wants me to get into that

is that true ? that you are a very smart student that in the Top 10 ? a 12y/o boy should have more than 1 hour to play game, atleast 2.5-3 Hours of gameplay

I get given more challenging school work than the others in my year, mostly maths though

Your 12. You kinda have to listen to your parents at that age..

ANYWAY unless your extremely smart you dont need a 1k+ computer. Perhaps try building a console killer? But thats your choice :P

When I was 12 I build forums/websites and was a administrator for a pretty large forum. That way my parents saw it as a learning experience. I slowly was allowed more time to manage these things and game.

I do like graphic design

if you own your own stuff, you can do whatever you want with it, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. if they ask you to stop after an hour, just say no. if they have bought it then it is theirs and they can do what they want with it and control it. even if you did go on it for 12 hours straight for a week you'ed get bored of it quick, whereas with only and hour your thinking about it all the time because you want more. eventually you will find your own balance and everything will be fine. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I only had the one-hour rule when I was using the family computer because other people needed to get work done lol...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

if you own your own stuff, you can do whatever you want with it, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. if they ask you to stop after an hour, just say no. if they have bought it then it is theirs and they can do what they want with it and control it. even if you did go on it for 12 hours straight for a week you'ed get bored of it quick, whereas with only and hour your thinking about it all the time because you want more. eventually you will find your own balance and everything will be fine. 

That's not exactly true. He's under his parents' roof and so he'll have to go under their rules.

Here's what I suggest, and take it with a grain of salt.

Compare you playing video games to whatever THEY enjoyed as kids. Most parents want to limit playtime because they think you're wasting your time, when it couldn't be farther from the truth. Explain to them(thoroughly) why video games are important to you, and they might let you play longer. Most parents want their kids to be active, and not sit around all day. Explain to them that you're developing various things, such as fast decision making skills, reaction time, hand coordination, and other such things. That, and explain that you're playing with friends( I assume), and that they play games together often, and you want to as well.

Also, developing creative skills like video editing/coding WILL BE USEFUL when you're older. There is a LOT of demand people who code in various languages, so if you can show your parents that you're developing skills for later in life, they might change their minds. A lot of people say I'm wasting my time, and that I'm wasting my potential playing with computers, and yet if you do some research, you'll see those skills are needs in more places every year. More and more companies are hiring people to make/maintain websites, and learning advanced computer skills will get a job down the line.

Ask your parents why they limit you, and see if you can get into an intelligent debate about why gaming is a good use of time.

There are a ton of arguments as to why you should be allowed to game for longer, you just have to think about it.

Ok, i have this problem (probably like many others) where my parents want me to stick to this 'you can only play an hour a day' rule.

Im 12 and nearly all my friends play video games, i want to extend my playing time, but they never allow it? And for a while now i had been looking into building a PC, but now that i look at it. I dont see what the point of spending 1000+ dollars on a pc when i can only use it to a certain degree. I just want to know what you think.

Edit: Just so you know, i can use it whenever i like for things like surfing, photoshop or any other creative software.

Shall i build it and keep trying to extend my time, maybe by showing them what else i spend my free time on.

Or save the money for something else

Prove to them that you're mature and can handle yourself with it. It was the same with my parents. They just wanted me to prove it wasn't gonna screw up school and that I wasn't going to be living in their basement at 30 playing games all day.

That's not exactly true. He's under his parents' roof and so he'll have to go under their rules.

depends if hes a rebel. i fought every step of the way. :P still haven't managed to get ln2 in the house, but im working on it :)

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

My parents used to have that for me, like ULTRA OCD about it, but in secondary school they kinda stopped doing it.

-snip-

I'm almost 15, built a PC a year ago and I'm in love with it.

Problem is I'm addicted to it, usually wasting time in front of it (like right now) and not studying much. I'm smart, but I'm stupid for not using my "capabilities" and "potentials" towards school. (also caused from lack of self-esteem and motivation.)

Going back to you, if you want to build a PC, build a console killer ($600-$700), keep your noggin on your shoulders and be responsible.

Cheers,

The Slimy Pig.

depends if hes a rebel. i fought every step of the way. :P still haven't managed to get ln2 in the house, but im working on it :)

lol that's true. It also depends on your parents. In my house, being a rebel backfired. 

My dad is a programmer, so he wants me to get into that

Great, you can use that to your advantage.

You can even ask your dad to help you in learning about computers

It benefits you and your father a lot over time; it's more like bonding and learning at the same time

Tell them that it helps to have a PC for both productivity and fun

Almost as if the gaming periods are break times after coding or playing around 3-d modeling 

because no reward = no outcome

:D

lol that's true. It also depends on your parents. In my house, being a rebel backfired.

Ikr

it is true. it took many years to wear mine down to the point where i could actually do stuff. younger siblings have it so much easier. they have no idea :P

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme