Is the Nexus 6P a "Joke"?

AmateurPCGuy

I would imagine it's just like regular glass. It all has areas where it's the weakest like the edges. If you ever tap a piece of glass on the edge or corner the whole things explodes into tiny pieces.

Only tempered glass does this (which is what Gorilla glass is). Normal glass is much stronger from shattering when hitting it's edge or corners, but breaks in large peaces and these peaces edge can be very sharp and cut you, like a knife.

The manufacture should protect the edges of the glass, here they didn't. If you look carefully at say your tablet, be a Surface line, or iPad, or one of the many Android tablets, notice how the glass edges are protected.

Only tempered glass does this (which is what Gorilla glass is). Normal glass is much stronger from shattering when hitting it's edge or corners, but breaks in large peaces and these peaces edge can be very sharp and cut you, like a knife.

The manufacture should protect the edges of the glass, here they didn't. If you look carefully at say your tablet, be a Surface line, or iPad, or one of the many Android tablets, notice how the glass edges are protected.

The main point of tempered glass isnt actually the fact it shatters into pieces, but that its extremely scratch resistant, and very impact resistant as well, except for its weakpoints, which in this case are its edges, or any other high curvature area

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

The main point of tempered glass isnt actually the fact it shatters into pieces, but that its extremely scratch resistant, and very impact resistant as well, except for its weakpoints, which in this case are its edges, or any other high curvature area

When I talk about "durable" I mean knocking it on the side. Normal glass with just chip the corner it got hit (of course, if you hit it really hard, it will break regardless). But tempered glass will shatter or crack.

They were such small scratches though like its kinda sad how it worked

Not really small considering how thin the glass is.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

You have a circuit board and battery on the way. The screen should not crack like that. The screen was just scratched. And I am not even sure it is because it was scratched, probably found a week spot by accident and cracked, else the crack would have went through the scratch.

To me it shows that the Chinese company Huawei doesn't make quality phones, which might explain the low cost for specs they are offering.

I think the scratches did the crack. What else? That same glass is used on many other phones, we would know if it liked to crack itself randomly. 

Also, read this. https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3qtuaj/nexus_6p_does_not_bend/

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

if i can bend a flagship 600+ dollar phone with bare hands .... there must be a big problem with the device ... hell u cant even bend the iphone 6 like this.... wtf...

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

^Bend test on a consumer version of the phone

As you can see, nothing happens. The original vid is complete bs.

The scratches he put into the screen are completely ridiculous but I was surprised when the screen cracked. 

Holding my 6p right now, feels nice and sturdy :)

I find bend tests bull-S, who would treat their product like that? Lets see if this lightweight device will bend if I use all my force. It doesn't reflect any use-scenario. 

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

You have a circuit board and battery on the way. The screen should not crack like that. The screen was just scratched. And I am not even sure it is because it was scratched, probably found a week spot by accident and cracked, else the crack would have went through the scratch.

To me it shows that the Chinese company Huawei doesn't make quality phones, which might explain the low cost for specs they are offering.

The phone is built pretty well. That was a prerealse model, thats not even close to enough data, most people are unable to bend their 6p, and the we need more data. 

my nexus 6P came in today (yes, it does live up to the hype), but i'm not awfully worried about this sort of thing happening. i mean, when will i ever bend this phone so deliberately and forcefully? when i will ever deliberately place this phone over a flame? when will i ever deliberately scratch my phone until it looks like the wolverine shredded it? besides, why wouldn't i treat this phone like it was fine china? same applies for the iphone, the note 5... any of those pricey smartphones. of course bad things happen, or your phone's screen shatters. but that's nowhere near bending a phone like you were splitting atoms. 

just take care of what you paid good money for. 

Im just waiting for the iPhone haters to go wild on this BendGate Part 2!

Wait for it...., wait for it......

to be fair, the burn test could have greatly weakened the phone to allow for the bend. As for the crack on the glass, I have no idea about that.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

http://www.phonearena.com/news/FYI-the-Nexus-6P-doesnt-have-a-bending-problem_id75310

doesn't bend. that video was a joke..

my nexus 6P came in today (yes, it does live up to the hype), but i'm not awfully worried about this sort of thing happening. i mean, when will i ever bend this phone so deliberately and forcefully? when i will ever deliberately place this phone over a flame? when will i ever deliberately scratch my phone until it looks like the wolverine shredded it? besides, why wouldn't i treat this phone like it was fine china? same applies for the iphone, the note 5... any of those pricey smartphones. of course bad things happen, or your phone's screen shatters. but that's nowhere near bending a phone like you were splitting atoms. 

just take care of what you paid good money for. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Phones should just be made more rugged with solid body.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Phones should just be made more rugged with solid body.

The 6P is made good enough. Watch the video on page 2 of this thread.

Here are my thoughts

The Nexus 6P bent in that video because the glass was damaged and the heat probably weakened the adhesive.

Now, you might be thinking "What the heck does glass and adhesive have to do with the frame of a phone?"

Well, this might come as a surprise, but the glass actually plays a central role in the structure of a phone, kinda like a car's bonded windshield. If it's damaged, the car's structural integrity is compromised. Same thing goes for phones.

When the screen of the 6P was damaged, he was essentially bending a piece of aluminum, which is pretty easy.

In fact, further bend tests with an undamaged 6P showed that it's just as strong as any other phone.

TL;DR version: The phone isn't that weak. It's just as strong as any other phone. Just don't purposely bend it and it'll be fine.

I'm not saying this as a fanboy. Bend tests are pointless to me and really, if the Nexus 6P was as easy to bend as paper when it's undamaged, then we would have seen a flurry of complaints.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Here are my thoughts

The Nexus 6P bent in that video because the glass was damaged and the heat probably weakened the adhesive.

Now, you might be thinking "What the heck does glass and adhesive have to do with the frame of a phone?"

Well, this might come as a surprise, but the glass actually plays a central role in the structure of a phone, kinda like a car's bonded windshield. If it's damaged, the car's structural integrity is compromised. Same thing goes for phones.

When the screen of the 6P was damaged, he was essentially bending a piece of aluminum, which is pretty easy.

In fact, further bend tests with an undamaged 6P showed that it's just as strong as any other phone.

TL;DR version: The phone isn't that weak. It's just as strong as any other phone. Just don't purposely bend it and it'll be fine.

I'm not saying this as a fanboy. Bend tests are pointless to me and really, if the Nexus 6P was as easy to bend as paper when it's undamaged, then we would have seen a flurry of complaints.

a further bend test, showed that there is no difference at all ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

nexus 6P second bend test (without fire dmg) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3cWVdLqXCg

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Regardless whether the phone bending is stupid or not, it's disturbing how the easy the aluminum body splits open at the point of bend. Surely that's gotta be an indication of poor quality material used for the body.

The bad news continues for the 6P: back glass on Nexus 6P shattering spontaneously

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Back-glass-on-Nexus-6P-shattering-spontaneously_id75589

Some of the reddit comments:

Well that was a surprise. For me, and the cat. It was sat on a table next to me when I heard the glass snap, leaving a little snowfall of shavings on the table under it. It's now continuing to crack away to itself..

Made an account just for this. I thought I was the only one. I have a case open with Google which they've forwarded to Huawei. PM me. Here's my damage: http://imgur.com/3GIJfs3

This could be caused by the method they use to temper the glass. I'm by no means an expert, but the method used to temper Gorilla glass involves giving the glass ion baths to strengthen it. The strength comes at a cost though - due to the strong attraction of the glass particles to one another and compression of the whole, the glass develops lines of internal torque and stress, leading to explosive results if the glass is impacted or pressed from the wrong angle. Because most of the potential damage to your screen comes from the face of the glass, they temper it to resist head on impact, at the cost of durability in sheer impacts. To make up for this, most screens (including the 6P's) have a very small plastic shock ring between the case and the screen. The visor does not appear to have one of these.

Ergo my theory: If the case exerts any lateral pressure on the visor, it would take only a very small amount of force over a period of time to develop stress fractures, which would then propagate due to the internal forces of the ion infused glass.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?