EU Parliament "pardons" Snowden, ready to give him asylum

zMeul

source: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/content/20151022IPR98818/html/Mass-surveillance-EU-citizens'-rights-still-in-danger-says-Parliament

Too little has been done to safeguard citizens' fundamental rights following revelations of electronic mass surveillance, say MEPs in a resolution voted on Thursday. They urge the EU Commission to ensure that all data transfers to the US are subject to an "effective level of protection" and ask EU member states to grant protection to Edward Snowden, as a "human rights defender". Parliament also raises concerns about surveillance laws in several EU countries.

By 285 votes to 281, MEPs decided to call on EU member states to "drop any criminal charges against Edward Snowden, grant him protection and consequently prevent extradition or rendition by third parties, in recognition of his status as whistle-blower and international human rights defender".

---

all nice and fluffy, but I don't see Snowden anytime asking for asylum in any of the EU countries that are also NATO member states

US Gov is still awaiting for Snowder to return and "face the music" over the leaked documents

The EU can grant him asylum all that they want.

It's up to the individual member states to actually take him in. And I agree wih the OP. 

There probably aren't any EU countries that want to take him in, due to their close relations to the US.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Two major issues here:

1. I massive 281 voted against, wtf is wrong with those people? That makes it a very narrow yes. Not something anyone would/should trust their lives in.
  2. If he got asulym and moved to EU, the US would probably kidnap or assassinate him inside EU. They would never dare to do that in Russia, but the US is too arrogant when it comes to the EU.

I cannot fathom EU giving Snowden asylum, but Assange is still stuck in London, because the UK is being insanely retarded and disloyal to basic human rights.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I cannot fathom EU giving Snowden asylum, but Assange is still stuck in London, because the UK is being insanely retarded and disloyal to basic human rights.

Thanks, Cameron!

Pig molester...

But seriously, the UK is beyond all measures of borked. The Tory government is slowly but surely making a message out of austerity and they are holding this nation by the throat. And yet...people are OK with the government doing this?!

Not to mention that it wasn't even by a 50% public majority that the Tories were elected and that this year's elections are the worst in recent British history for misrepresentation, AND that there has already been petitions for a vote of non-confidence for George Osbourne and Jeremy Hunt.

There's nothing great about Great Britain anymore. It's a nation that tore itself apart. This ship has left the docks without its hull, and I want off of it.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Give him pardon and then off him, he better stay where he is so he can keep giving us more information on this nasty business called "national/international security"

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I cannot fathom EU giving Snowden asylum, but Assange is still stuck in London

Er, Assange is an alleged rapist, Snowden never committed any crimes?

Not that that excuses it, just pointing out the difference between the two.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Uhh, wut? Alleged rapist?

Do you have anything that points to that? Because all I'm aware of is his Wikileaks stuff.

DAYTONA

Uhh, wut? Alleged rapist?

Do you have anything that points to that? Because all I'm aware of is his Wikileaks stuff.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-11949341

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

That's nice and all, but the real correct thing to do would be to implement programmes to make EU residents less dependent on US and British tech companies.

The Snowden revelations are pointless if they don't result in people migrating away from spyware-driven services and backdoored hardware.

Companies like Facebook and Google should straight up not be allowed to hoard as much data as they are.

Thanks, Cameron!

Pig molester...

But seriously, the UK is beyond all measures of borked. The Tory government is slowly but surely making a message out of austerity and they are holding this nation by the throat. And yet...people are OK with the government doing this?!

Not to mention that it wasn't even by a 50% public majority that the Tories were elected and that this year's elections are the worst in recent British history for misrepresentation, AND that there has already been petitions for a vote of non-confidence for George Osbourne and Jeremy Hunt.

There's nothing great about Great Britain anymore. It's a nation that tore itself apart. This ship has left the docks without its hull, and I want off of it.

first pass the post is stupid, and i partly agree everything that we started building after the second world is slowly being stripped away, and to make matters worse there is an apathy is the majority of the youth, they do not care they sit on the fence permanently. those who refuse to form opinion not on bases of not knowing enough but simply not caring are the single biggest problem in this county. i hope corbyn though can get the labour party to stop its infighting, and start to build an alternative political landscape that includes those that didnt vote last election. 

That's nice and all, but the real correct thing to do would be to implement programmes to make EU residents less dependent on US and British tech companies.

The Snowden revelations are pointless if they don't result in people migrating away from spyware-driven services and backdoored hardware.

Companies like Facebook and Google should straight up not be allowed to hoard as much data as they are.

we need to create a regulation that enforce what privicy is and where we have it, in my view all data on you should only be allowed access with a warrant the same as physical goods or propety you have 

first pass the post is stupid, and i partly agree everything that we started building after the second world is slowly being stripped away, and to make matters worse there is an apathy is the majority of the youth, they do not care they sit on the fence permanently. those who refuse to form opinion not on bases of not knowing enough but simply not caring are the single biggest problem in this county. i hope corbyn though can get the labour party to stop its infighting, and start to build an alternative political landscape that includes those that didnt vote last election. 

YFW it was their plan to create apathy in youth. They've already won, the only chance we have is a revolution but even that would cripple the country even more. It's gg no re.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

"it's a trap"

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I'm gonna be pretty honest.

I didn't vote in this election. I know some people will say that I've lost the right to complain about the political landscape because I did not vote, but...that's just it. My vote is for a region, not a nation.

I live in a Labour safe seat; Yvette Cooper is a pretty influencial person in this region, and it's unlikely that someone will overpower her any time soon, unless she retires. What good would my vote do other than very lightly reinforce her position? I've nothing against her, not at all, but I want the vote to at least feel like it means something. Not just for a region, but also for a nation.

And yes, FPTP is complete trash. This is why when the Alternative Vote was suggested by parliament some years back I was right on board, because whilst it shares a lot of the same issues as FPTP, such the resulting two-party fight at the end of it, it also does something else - it gives you alternatives.

FPTP causes a lot of strategic voting, where a voter will vote for the candidate that has the best chance of winning, as opposed to the one who best agrees with their opinions on how the country is run. With the Alternative Vote, that changes; you can vote for the party you want, but you can also pick the nth-best candidate for the job. That way, voter apathy ought to be reduced, and it's a more substantial system overall.

FPTP needs to be abolished, and if it isn't by the next General Election, then I can't guarantee my vote for anyone. Though if I did, I'd likely be voting Labour, since they are my kind of people.

DAYTONA

i feel like he'll be sniped the moment he takes on asylum somewhere other than Russia, but they probably wont do that for now, as it would make him a martyr , most probably they'll poison him & make it look like he had a heart attack or something

Details separate people.

Actually I'm surprised they didn't cook up rape allegations against Snowden as well, they were a bit too reliant on people's overall ignorance over what he did and such being too tech saavy for most, a strategy that mostly works ok in fact.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Even if the US pardons all current or future whistleblowers, that's all for show. Once they set foot on ally or even international territory they can be assassinated.

So if you whistle blow, make sure you go to rival states, and surround yourself with rival assets.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Thanks, Cameron!

Pig molester...

Yeah first past the post is the most disfunctional "democratic" system we have. Take UKIP, which got 12,6% of all votes in the latest English elections. Due to fptp, they got a massive 0,15% of the seats in parlament. That means a voter who votes for UKIP is less represented via their vote, then say one who voted for conservatives. That is not a real democratic voting system. And they have it in Canada too (what are you guys thinking?).

Lol allaged. Listen, the behaviour of these two women before and after the so called rape, makes it very clear there was no such thing. No what happened was that these two sluts had no problem sleeping with the guy and partying with him, feeling like they were big shots. Then they found out that they weren't special snow flake tumblr people like they thought, and all of the sudden it was "rape". That's Swedish "law" for you.

What then happened was that Sweden put out a wanted notice on Assange via Interpol. Do you know how often that happens? Almost never.

Then the UK spent over 10 million £ on surveillance on just him. An absolute insane amount of money that could have been spent on actual problems. Also bear in mind that Sweden several times said no to holding the prosecution interview with Assange on the embassy, or on neutral ground.

Everything about that accusation is bonkers and made up. No Sweden wants him extradited, so they can further extradite him to the US/Guantanamo.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'm gonna be pretty honest.

I didn't vote in this election. I know some people will say that I've lost the right to complain about the political landscape because I did not vote, but...that's just it. My vote is for a region, not a nation.

I live in a Labour safe seat; Yvette Cooper is a pretty influencial person in this region, and it's unlikely that someone will overpower her any time soon, unless she retires. What good would my vote do other than very lightly reinforce her position? I've nothing against her, not at all, but I want the vote to at least feel like it means something. Not just for a region, but also for a nation.

And yes, FPTP is complete trash. This is why when the Alternative Vote was suggested by parliament some years back I was right on board, because whilst it shares a lot of the same issues as FPTP, such the resulting two-party fight at the end of it, it also does something else - it gives you alternatives.

FPTP causes a lot of strategic voting, where a voter will vote for the candidate that has the best chance of winning, as opposed to the one who best agrees with their opinions on how the country is run. With the Alternative Vote, that changes; you can vote for the party you want, but you can also pick the nth-best candidate for the job. That way, voter apathy ought to be reduced, and it's a more substantial system overall.

FPTP needs to be abolished, and if it isn't by the next General Election, then I can't guarantee my vote for anyone. Though if I did, I'd likely be voting Labour, since they are my kind of people.

yeah i had a choice of voting in my home county a safe seat for the conservatives (by around 25%) or voting in my uni county (labour safe seat) so i decided to just vote green because even though i disagree with some of there stuff i agree with alot as well and  i want them to have a bigger mandate and be able to actually have an influence on the country,

Yeah first past the post is the most disfunctional "democratic" system we have. Take UKIP, which got 12,6% of all votes in the latest English elections. Due to fptp, they got a massive 0,15% of the seats in parlament. That means a voter who votes for UKIP is less represented via their vote, then say one who voted for conservatives. That is not a real democratic voting system. And they have it in Canada too (what are you guys thinking?).

id like to see first pass the post replace by a split system, people vote twice once for there party and once for there area, then the party vote is done proportionally to fill half the seats of parliment and the the constituency fill the other half, also has the advantage that one group of politions dont have constituents to deal with they can focus on debating issues and coming up with policy ideas which the other half deal with all the local issues for there area

id like to see first pass the post replace by a split system, people vote twice once for there party and once for there area, then the party vote is done proportionally to fill half the seats of parliment and the the constituency fill the other half, also has the advantage that one group of politions dont have constituents to deal with they can focus on debating issues and coming up with policy ideas which the other half deal with all the local issues for there area

Why? In Denmark we have a proper representative democracy. If 20% of the Danish voters vote on a party, that party will hold 20% of the Danish seats in parlament. So for us with such a system, it is mind boggling why a country would call itself a democracy and have a stupid system like fptp.

Why? In Denmark we have a proper representative democracy. If 20% of the Danish voters vote on a party, that party will hold 20% of the Danish seats in parlament. So for us with such a system, it is mind boggling why a country would call itself a democracy and have a stupid system like fptp.

having members of parliament who are specifically elected for a specific area does have advantages as they are ment to focus on their area of the country, eg if there county has a large number of sucides compared to else where then they should be the ones to raise the issue in parliment and or reorginise funding to programs that might help that, eg there a bit like a mayor but just for a region of the country instead, my idea though with half the government being from a county is that areas of the country are represented (we have an issue where certain sections of the country are heavily ignored by the government) but that the other half are from the partys and fill all the current cabinet roles like prime-minster, chancellor etc and are like a main chamber, essentially the goal is that people can vote for the person who is best going to look after there county and for the party that they agree with on the most points for national policy. For example my current mp is a conservative but he is very good at managing the county but i would never vote for him because he supports an eu exit as well as tougher immigration laws, however with the 2 vote system i could vote for him and then vote for labour or otherwise, in the hopes that he will manage the county well but the overall national policys will be labour.

perhaps the numbers for whichever side has the most seats and or if they have the same powers, eg constituency mps cannot hold cabinet positions etc

i mean the goal is to have a overall PR system so that the the number of seats a party holds in government is within +-5% (maybe 10%) of what the votes split into nation wide but without losing the specific candidates for specific county's

Thanks, Cameron!

Pig molester...

And that's why i want to get out of this horrid country ASAP

their spending so much money to make sure hes miserable but wont take some of that money and help the immigrants...

Check out my iCUE Guide Beta Tester for Corsair

Got a Corsair Product? Got a Question?

Feel Free to PM Me ?

Check out my iCUE Guide

Whether or not you agree with what was done. There is no grey area in Snowdens case. He clearly and unequivocally committed treason against the United States of America (again this has nothing to do about what I believe personally about the morality of what he done.)

Furthermore as a result there is literally no other way the US government can react to him. It's not like you can ignore such an unilateral crime of literally the highest possible nature.

That said if you think the US government is actually doing everything they could do (even legally) to get him back you are hilariously deluded. So long as he stays out of the US's reach, the current administration (at least, I won't talk for what might happen under certain potential future presidents) is perfectly content to just go through the motions of trying to get him back.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS