Mechanical vs Aerospace Engineering?

Cy-Fy

I'm studying civil engineering at the moment myself, but I had some mates who were tossing up between ME and AE like you are.

Long story short, most of them decided to study ME since like others have said, you can do most of AE with a ME degree, but the reverse does not necessarily apply. 

^^^^This.

MEs can also do Civil Engineers jobs too :P . At least in California, if you get certified by the state and pass the NCEES FE and PE licensure then your Professional Engineer in ME licensure also works for civil!

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

As someone with an Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering degree and a job title of "Mechanical Engineer", I say go Aero. Aero has more of a focus on gas dynamics and compressible flow which is a big plus is so many "Mechanical Engineering" jobs. My job title may be Mechanical, but I work on Naval steam plant systems (where knowledge of compressible gases comes in handy). If you prefer mechanical systems such as gearboxes, bearings, pumps, etc, then go Mechanical. In the end, they tend to be very similar disciplines; I just tend to think that Aeros can be a little more flexible. In the end, we're very similar except in the individual types of systems we work on.

But if you are into aircraft or spacecraft at all, go Aero for sure; that's a no-brainer.

I'm an Mechanical Engineer (BS):

Most schools have different concentrations available for you to take, most of those won't come into play until your 3rd/junior year.

Here are the concentrations that my school offered for ME:

• General ME
  • Materials and Structures
  • Energy and Environment
  • Design and Manufacturing
  • Mechatronics
So, you're bound to find something that floats your boat. And regrading the HVAC class, you may or may not have to take that class. If it's a technical elective, then there are other classes you could use to substitute for that one.

Personally, I went with ME since I could advance my career in just about any path I wanted. Aerospace, in my opinion, is too limited, with only certain applications and jobs available. With ME, I can work in Construction Design, Modeling and Simulation, Aerospace, Public Works, Infrastructure, Manufacturing, Utilities (Power, Water Gas), Natural resources (oil, gas) and Renewables, Robotics, Automotive, etc. You're bound to eventually find a job that you like. Your skillset is flexible. You can find yourself working just about anywhere, and engineers are always in demand.

Regarding formal coursework: most of the concepts you learn in class still applies, we just have tables to look up values and software to do everything else! Everything becomes easier as you go along (in my honest opinion).

PS: The hardest class you'll probably take is first Thermodynamics and/or dynamics class in their series. They'll push your calculus skills to the test. After that, you basically use MatLab for everything that's too complicated to solve by hand.

I'm studying civil engineering at the moment myself, but I had some mates who were tossing up between ME and AE like you are.

Long story short, most of them decided to study ME since like others have said, you can do most of AE with a ME degree, but the reverse does not necessarily apply.

As someone with an Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering degree and a job title of "Mechanical Engineer", I say go Aero. Aero has more of a focus on gas dynamics and compressible flow which is a big plus is so many "Mechanical Engineering" jobs. My job title may be Mechanical, but I work on Naval steam plant systems (where knowledge of compressible gases comes in handy). If you prefer mechanical systems such as gearboxes, bearings, pumps, etc, then go Mechanical. In the end, they tend to be very similar disciplines; I just tend to think that Aeros can be a little more flexible. In the end, we're very similar except in the individual types of systems we work on.

But if you are into aircraft or spacecraft at all, go Aero for sure; that's a no-brainer.

thank you all very much for your advice... although I must say @TopDollar is the only one so far who has voted for Aerospace engineering :P

My fear is that, due to the fact that mechanical engineering is so broad you might end up doing work on areas or topics that you don't really like. Whereas in aerospace engineering even though there are less jobs, you still have a pretty good idea of what you'll end up doing after you graduate. For example after I graduate as a ME I may be lucky and find a job where I help design and test parts for an engine (just an example) or I may not be so lucky and end up in a job where I have to do maintenance to some machinery. However when I think of AE jobs it seems like they all work on the newest technologies available and the jobs seem much more innovative and cutting edge. Am I getting the wrong idea about each degree?

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

thank you all very much for your advice... although I must say @TopDollar is the only one so far who has voted for Aerospace engineering :P

My fear is that, due to the fact that mechanical engineering is so broad you might end up doing work on areas or topics that you don't really like. Whereas in aerospace engineering even though there are less jobs, you still have a pretty good idea of what you'll end up doing after you graduate. For example after I graduate as a ME I may be lucky and find a job where I help design and test parts for an engine (just an example) or I may not be so lucky and end up in a job where I have to do maintenance to some machinery. However when I think of AE jobs it seems like they all work on the newest technologies available and the jobs seem much more innovative and cutting edge. Am I getting the wrong idea about each degree?

I'd say look into dual majoring in MechE and Aero. That way you get the best of both worlds. It was a very common thing to do at my school due to how similar the curriculums are. Either way there can be a lot of variation in jobs. In my graduating Aero class, we had 1 person get at job at Boeing, 1 at Johnson Space Center, a few to places like Pratt & Whitney / GE / Global Foundries, and 1 even took a job at Green Mountain Coffee. Then there was the group of us who went into the Naval industry in both Nuc and Non Nuc engineering positions. Throughout school, you'll definitely find out what parts of the industry you like and where you want to go from there. Either major won't hinder you in any real way though.

I'd say look into dual majoring in MechE and Aero. That way you get the best of both worlds. It was a very common thing to do at my school due to how similar the curriculums are. Either way there can be a lot of variation in jobs. In my graduating Aero class, we had 1 person get at job at Boeing, 1 at Johnson Space Center, a few to places like Pratt & Whitney / GE / Global Foundries, and 1 even took a job at Green Mountain Coffee. Then there was the group of us who went into the Naval industry in both Nuc and Non Nuc engineering positions. Throughout school, you'll definitely find out what parts of the industry you like and where you want to go from there. Either major won't hinder you in any real way though.

thanks very much for the advise... I think I will look more into any programs that offer "dual majoring" and see if any looks interesting... I have also been researching a lot and have noticed that Aerospace Engineering also seems to contain a lot of computer systems, sensors, communications, avionics etc modules which are very related to electronic engineering and computer science and tbh they don't attract me all that much since I am more interested in forces and mechanics and physical topics so maybe Mechanical Engineering will be the best option... still thinking about it obviously!

thanks very much for the advise... I think I will look more into any programs that offer "dual majoring" and see if any looks interesting... I have also been researching a lot and have noticed that Aerospace Engineering also seems to contain a lot of computer systems, sensors, communications, avionics etc modules which are very related to electronic engineering and computer science and tbh they don't attract me all that much since I am more interested in forces and mechanics and physical topics so maybe Mechanical Engineering will be the best option... still thinking about it obviously!

Every Engineering major will include some sort of electrical science and programming (MATLAB mostly) if it's a good curriculum. The majority of Aeronautical (not sure about Aerospace) is more focused on aerodynamics, aircraft structures, stability & control, propulsion, and aircraft design. In industry, Electrical and Computer Engineers will work on avionics and other electrical systems like you described.

If you work in aerospace chances are you will end up making tech that's going to go into the military and kill innocents

Go with mechanical. After the first year you can specialize in whatever you want.

hi im studying for aerospace and they just dont kill innocents we make shit for nsa to spy on you  :D

hi im studying for aerospace and they just dont kill innocents we make shit for nsa to spy on you  :D

*as well

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Every Engineering major will include some sort of electrical science and programming (MATLAB mostly) if it's a good curriculum. The majority of Aeronautical (not sure about Aerospace) is more focused on aerodynamics, aircraft structures, stability & control, propulsion, and aircraft design. In industry, Electrical and Computer Engineers will work on avionics and other electrical systems like you described.

Some schools make you take C++ in addition to MATLAB.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Thanks very much for this but would you say that AE has more computer related subjects than ME or is it about the same? (also I don't mind programming, after al I am doing it this year in school, but it is not my favorite either)

Hi, give that you study Aerospace Engineering, did you choose that over mechanical for any particular reason? I'm just trying to get every bit of information possible before making a decision

*as well

:D

Some schools make you take C++ in addition to MATLAB.

yes I heard about this... I guess it all depends on the specific course/university

yes I heard about this... I guess it all depends on the specific course/university

The funny thing is (at least in california) that public colleges within the same branch, California State University and University of California, don't have an consensus with each other. 

Eg: Certain UC  schools won't have the C++ requirement, while other UCs do. Same goes for the CSUs.

This makes it even more hectic for first time students or transfer students coming into an 4 year institution since the course requirements vary by school.

But back on topic: If I recall correctly, some ME and Aero classes overlap: Dynamics, statics, thermo, etc. OP could always go in declared as one major and then change later on if he finds one subject more interesting  than the other. The first 2 years of college is breadth requirements anyway, so regardless of major, most people will still do their calculus series, physics, general chem, etc, and maybe an engineering intro class or two.

Thanks very much for this but would you say that AE has more computer related subjects than ME or is it about the same? (also I don't mind programming, after al I am doing it this year in school, but it is not my favorite either)

Hi, give that you study Aerospace Engineering, did you choose that over mechanical for any particular reason? I'm just trying to get every bit of information possible before making a decision

:D

um simple I have always been into space and planes ..... and I love to build shit simple also fuck mechanical I dont like it but thats me

The funny thing is (at least in california) that public colleges within the same branch, California State University and University of California, don't have an consensus with each other. 

Eg: Certain UC  schools won't have the C++ requirement, while other UCs do. Same goes for the CSUs.

This makes it even more hectic for first time students or transfer students coming into an 4 year institution since the course requirements vary by school.

But back on topic: If I recall correctly, some ME and Aero classes overlap: Dynamics, statics, thermo, etc. OP could always go in declared as one major and then change later on if he finds one subject more interesting  than the other. The first 2 years of college is breadth requirements anyway, so regardless of major, most people will still do their calculus series, physics, general chem, etc, and maybe an engineering intro class or two.

Yeah well at least I am not in the US so shouldn't worry too much about that!

um simple I have always been into space and planes ..... and I love to build shit simple also fuck mechanical I dont like it but thats me

yeah makes sense, I just find EVERYTHING to be cool, one day I think planes are the best thing ever invented, the next day I think the same about car, then about machines, satellites, missiles, everything, so it is hard to choose  :unsure:

This is correct however it is easier to switch from Aero to Mech than it is Mech to Aero. My dual major only required 4 additional courses (dynamical systems, heat transfer, finite element method, and mechanics of machine elements). We did a lot of LabVIEW for our Aero labs vice C++. Although I took a C++ elective. Computer involvement is pretty much the same for both majors (some programming, CAD, FEA, CFD, etc) .

Just pointing it out that basically any engineer can do any other engineers real job (except for imaginary engineers) because to be blatantly honest, all of the actually intense stuff you do as an engineer is super duper employer specific and they will teach you it all anyways. 

I know fellow NE's that work in construction, computation, chemical systems engineering, etc. Likewise ME's are found everywhere.

Put it this way, an ME is almost never the top choice in a job, but it's basically always second (but again honestly, if you have any sort of work experience prior to graduation and are not a complete idiot, you shouldn't have any issue finding a job in engineering right now).

I would say that starting ME is never a bad idea if you don't really know what you like yet, but if you find something you are really passionate in you should go all in on it.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

yeah makes sense, I just find EVERYTHING to be cool, one day I think planes are the best thing ever invented, the next day I think the same about car, then about machines, satellites, missiles, everything, so it is hard to choose  :unsure:

I'm that way with literally everything. Linguistics, metallurgy, computation, astrophysics, psychology, you name it. I love understanding things (note that I DID NOT say knowing, major distinction.) 

I chose nuclear, because it is the largest and the smallest, the most energetic, the most extreme, and because I thought it would be an amusing challenge. I must say it was a bit underwhelming (again because once you get  the basics you really don't have to understand much to do work in the real world.)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just pointing it out that basically any engineer can do any other engineers real job (except for imaginary engineers) because to be blatantly honest, all of the actually intense stuff you do as an engineer is super duper employer specific and they will teach you it all anyways. 

I know fellow NE's that work in construction, computation, chemical systems engineering, etc. Likewise ME's are found everywhere.

Put it this way, an ME is almost never the top choice in a job, but it's basically always second (but again honestly, if you have any sort of work experience prior to graduation and are not a complete idiot, you shouldn't have any issue finding a job in engineering right now).

I would say that starting ME is never a bad idea if you don't really know what you like yet, but if you find something you are really passionate in you should go all in on it.

I'm that way with literally everything. Linguistics, metallurgy, computation, astrophysics, psychology, you name it. I love understanding things (note that I DID NOT say knowing, major distinction.) 

I chose nuclear, because it is the largest and the smallest, the most energetic, the most extreme, and because I thought it would be an amusing challenge. I must say it was a bit underwhelming (again because once you get  the basics you really don't have to understand much to do work in the real world.)

Thanks very much for the help! I think nuclear engineering is a really interesting challenge and definitely exotic for a lack of a better word. However, I would like to point out and try to understand more something you said about MEs almost never being the first choice for a job. What exactly do you mean by this? in your opinion, would you say that an ME is slightly disadvantaged when looking for a job (even though they clearly know a lot about what they're doing)?

Thanks very much for the help! I think nuclear engineering is a really interesting challenge and definitely exotic for a lack of a better word. However, I would like to point out and try to understand more something you said about MEs almost never being the first choice for a job. What exactly do you mean by this? in your opinion, would you say that an ME is slightly disadvantaged when looking for a job (even though they clearly know a lot about what they're doing)?

They are not specialized. Which means any real job in engineering, which is looking for specialized workers, put ME second behind whatever actual major/specialization they are looking for. 

ME is the jack of all trades, master of none. Just the way it is.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

They are not specialized. Which means any real job in engineering, which is looking for specialized workers, put ME second behind whatever actual major/specialization they are looking for. 

This is actually quite good to know because I had never thought about it that way... what areas would you say the "real engineering jobs" are in? I'm guessing nuclear, aerospace, etc right? But surely there are jobs where MEs would be the most specialized engineers you could get for that job?

This is actually quite good to know because I had never thought about it that way... what areas would you say the "real engineering jobs" are in? I'm guessing nuclear, aerospace, etc right? But surely there are jobs where MEs would be the most specialized engineers you could get for that job?

Everywhere. Does a company need a team member to help with some electrical work/design? EE is obviously first choice. Does a company need someone to help design a computational model of an airplane? AE. Does a company need help with radiological QC processes? NE. Does a company want help with investigating flaws in their manufacturing process? MSE or IE depending on the type of issue. Does a company want a member to work with their construction consulting firm? Civil. Someone to work on a new industrial treatment process? Chemical. Metalurgy? Mat Sci & Eng

There is almost never a situation where a more general degree (and ME is by far the most general engineering out there) is looked for over the specific applicable specialization. The closest thing you get to ME specific jobs are turbine/engine system design, but even then since most of the time you are looking for people with very specific talents and experience within the process, you are almost always looking for more specialized applicants.

Furthermore if you go to some of the higher specialized engineering schools you will see many other majors (or effectively isolated paths, esp in ME) that will again take away from the general appeal of the run-of-the-mill ME student. (For example, the school I went to offered Engineering Mechanics and Manufacturing Systems Engineering, both of which would be preferred over MEs in the above engine design hypothetical.)

That isn't to say you can't get the job, it's just you need to recognize that as an ME you are almost never going to be the "first choice".

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though oftentimes better than master of one.

Not at getting in the door to a specific relevant job. I did say that ME is basically always the second choice. Just that you need to recognize that for any job you apply to as an ME, some other specialization will fit the specific job needs of the employer better.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

you guys are making this tougher!  :P haha but seriously!

Not at getting in the door to a specific relevant job. I did say that ME is basically always the second choice. Just that you need to recognize that for any job you apply to as an ME, some other specialization will fit the specific job needs of the employer better.

Not the case where I work. MEs usually get jobs at integration between other engineering feats. I've seen Civil Engineers get denied a job over an ME.

You'll always need an ME for when the other disciplines fall short: IE: Civil engineers can design buildings and etc, but how many of them size the proper steel supports for an building, skyscraper, apartment, or do the structural integrity analysis?

you guys are making this tougher!  :P haha but seriously!

Well it's not like you sign your life away the moment you get into college. Just start in ME and if you see something that interests you a lot in a different field, swap.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS