Mechanical vs Aerospace Engineering?

Cy-Fy

Not the case where I work. MEs usually get jobs at integration between other engineering feats. I've seen Civil Engineers get denied a job over an ME.

You'll always need an ME for when the other disciplines fall short: IE: Civil engineers can design buildings and etc, but how many of them size the proper steel supports for an building, skyscraper, apartment, or do the structural integrity analysis?

All of the ones with proper instruction in the first place. (But that is an issue with any major. Less than ideal schools offering the bare minimum and nothing more, doesn't help anyone.) Structural integrity analysis is an amusing example because at my school literally every CoE major was required to take coursework on that topic. Even comp eng students.

I've seen ME get plenty of jobs over other majors, but in every single case I am aware of, it was because they had significantly better non-degree qualifications.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

All of the ones with proper instruction in the first place. (But that is an issue with any major. Less than ideal schools offering the bare minimum and nothing more, doesn't help anyone.) Structural integrity analysis is an amusing example because at my school literally every CoE major was required to take coursework on that topic. Even comp eng students.

I've seen ME get plenty of jobs over other majors, but in every single case I am aware of, it was because they had significantly better non-degree qualifications.

I think the discrepancy, like you mention, is due to various institutions have differing requirements. I wish ABET actually forced schools to follow a specific path of classes that students should take based on their field/major.

That way all MEs take the same classes, regardless of where you go to college. The same should go for all Engineering degrees.

Also, regarding one of your previous points: Where I got my BS from had the following options/specializations:

• General ME
  • Materials and Structures
  • Energy and Environment
  • Design and Manufacturing
  • Mechatronics

Someone who does an specialization in the ME degree will more than likely to get a job than someone with the General ME plan, if the job requires it.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I think the discrepancy, like you mention, is due to various institutions have differing requirements. I wish ABET actually forced schools to follow a specific path of classes that students should take based on their field/major.

That way all MEs take the same classes, regardless of where you go to college. The same should go for all Engineering degrees.

Also, regarding one of your previous points: Where I got my BS from had the following options/specializations:

• General ME
  • Materials and Structures
  • Energy and Environment
  • Design and Manufacturing
  • Mechatronics

Someone who does an specialization in the ME degree will more than likely to get a job than someone with the General ME plan, if the job requires it.

Yep. I agree completely with your assessment. I don't actually think Madison has ME specializations, but we had separate degrees for all of those.

http://www.engr.wisc.edu/majorsandcertificates.html

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Well, in my country, if you want to go aerospace, you first have to go through 2 years of mechanical engineering anyway.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Yeah well at least I am not in the US so shouldn't worry too much about that!

yeah makes sense, I just find EVERYTHING to be cool, one day I think planes are the best thing ever invented, the next day I think the same about car, then about machines, satellites, missiles, everything, so it is hard to choose  :unsure:

also the stuff im working on right now may actually kill people in the future if it works right :D 

also the stuff im working on right now may actually kill people in the future if it works right :D

I'm not sure if I should be pleased for you or not...

But... yea... stuff... things...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

My brother did mechanical engineering and now works for Jaguar Land Rover with an awesome job

I would say, go after your area of interest

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm not sure if I should be pleased for you or not...

But... yea... stuff... things...

it happens