Youtube Red.

beach_boy98

Not a fan of the "member-only access to new, original shows and movies from some of YouTube's biggest creators."

Yea I don't like that either. Degrades the experience overall for people who aren't forking money over because they're creating two tiers of experiences, rather than the one equal experience everyone gets now. 

Anyways as far as the other "benefits" there's this thing called Adblock and it's extremely easy to download youtube videos if you want as it is. If I wanted to contribute to a specific youtuber I would donate to them privately and not through a system where youtube gets most of the cut.

I dislike the idea in general, if YouTube started out by having the top channels offer two tiers of viewing, one for the "exclusive" people who paid, I doubt it would be as popular as it is today. People loved the platform because it was open and available to everyone free of charge.

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

I was actually thinking about switching to Tidal since I would get 50% off with my girlfriends student e-mail. May stick with Google All Access if this helps the Youtubers I watch. 

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

So the subscription does also include Google Play Music. In that case AWESOME, since I already use Google Play Music and I woundn't mind paying a bit more for the YouTube Red benefits.

"Youtube Red, screwing more people than Redtube"
New official slogan

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

I'll just say this.

YouTube has been having trouble making money since day 1. How do you make money of a free service? Adds.

Since more and more people started using adblockers, marketing has moved into the video's for example: Lynda.com, Dbrand etc. in Linus' videos.

YouTube saw this and saw it as unfair competiton so they decided to demand a fee for in vid commercials, which I sorta can emphasize with but it is dirty, as it's the YouTubers own hard work that gets them those sponsorships.

What they are doing now with YouTube Red is something that's comparable to Twitch Turbo and I do feel it's a good thing (not to mention a pretty good deal if you count all the features and free Play Music). I do however think that exclusive content from the creators is going a bit too far.

Basically they can say something like: Linus, we're planning on moving Scrapyard Wars beyond a paywall. Agree or your video's won't be posted online! This is called blackmail!

Kinda pointless since content creators but ads in their videos anyway.

"YouTube Red lets you enjoy videos across all of YouTube without ads, while also letting you save videos to watch offline on your phone or tablet and play videos in the background, all for $9.99 a month."

Umm... couldn't we do all that already?

As a cord cutter, I will gladly pay the $10/month for the ad-free experience. I didn't cancel cable service to suddenly get everything for free, I canceled due to the poor cost/service value. The negative side-effect of Youtube Red will be the canceling of some Patreon subscriptions that were for YouTube-only content creators. If the Google Music service is identical to the current music service Google offers, that will be a nice bonus since I had canceled an $8/month early-adopter Google music plan in favor of Apple Music.

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/youtube-red

TB did a good piece on this. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

I use Youtube almost every single day, it is one of my primary forms of entertainment. Personally I think $10 a month, or 32¢ a day, pales in comparison to the value I get with the services Youtube and it's content creators supply.

"Its not going to make the content creators richer, its not going to make the content better, its not going to make the experience better (with the exception of external ads)."

The content creators will be getting a cut from the subscription. This will supplement there income, and if the service becomes successful enough, It could overtake their ad revenue, considering the increasing number of adblock users.

Youtube makes 4 billion revenue a year, they have 1 billion users/month. In other words, they make 33 cents/month per user in revenue. It would only take them 30 million users(3%) to vastly improve their revenue.

"while also letting you save videos to watch offline on your phone or tablet and play videos in the background" , wait, does this mean they are gonna remove offline videos on normal youtube app? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker