Surface Book GPU Confirmed 10/20/15 UPDATE

Except they stuck a worse processor on the Surface Book Pro so they could add a gimmicky nvidia cpu. Afterall that additional space could have been used for batteries or something. (hell battery life would have been significantly better if they just didn't use the dGPU at all. (the 930m is a 25W gpu.)

I think they stuck a worse processor into it because it's slimmer because it's just a screen and they decided that gGPU would be fun. Let them release it and then we will speculate.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Dat 6000 rpm fan... Note the time differences I mentioned. 1 hr vs 5 minutes.

AIDA 64 burns much hotter than furmark.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Here is the actual part they should have used.

http://ark.intel.com/products/91163/Intel-Core-i7-6560U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz 15W TDP (downclockable to about 10W) or

http://ark.intel.com/products/91497/Intel-Core-i7-6650U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz Same TDP

End of story.

Intel Iris Graphics 540 is GT3e (and is basically a 930m)

Had they actually wanted to use decent cooling, this is what I would have put on:

http://ark.intel.com/products/91167/Intel-Core-i7-6567U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz 28W TDP (downclockable to 23W)

BTW in case you were wondering. They used the 6650U for the Surface Pro 4, but used the 6600U for the Surface book which is this poopsicle

http://ark.intel.com/products/88192/Intel-Core-i7-6600U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

IIRC The difference in CPU is due to availability, if you select the i7 on the SP4 the shipping date slips. Hopefully this means the same i7 may be available in the SB later on.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Haha, why on earth would someone spend the money on this to game..not really its intended use.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Screw that I'm getting irispro

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

for once a mac has a more capable GPU than a comparable windows machine...

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M370X-Mac-vs-GeForce-940M

omg did you just link gpuboss... No never ever ever do that. If you must use a site like that... use this one...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M370X.142763.0.html

The m370x is about equal to a 940m (a little bit better actually), and this gpu is between the 930m and the 940m. We will see how close, but yes the m370x should be better.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

oh well. maybe the next iteration otherwise it's back to an ROG as initially planned. has such high hopes.

well thats not exactly the kind of work this is suited to. this is meant for on the field, explaining stuff to engineers and workers, or quickly busting together a rough part that needs to be made from measurements you take there. not to render entire engines or stuff

I disagree, that is what the Surface is for, the surface book is intending to replace the laptop part too

so its a machine that can be also used to CREATE the content, so you can edit photos and videos, do your CAD on the go etc

its designed around productivity and performance, not JUST portability, so having a GPU gives it an advantage of the regular surface model

Otherwise its just a surface with a better keyboard

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't know why ANYONE thought it was a 960m when they were not clear about the exact GPU....they'd trump that up if it was. 

Still interested. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I don't know why ANYONE thought it was a 960m when they were not clear about the exact GPU....they'd trump that up if it was. 

Still interested. 

if it had a 960m I would instantly go and buy it, just saying

but 940m, MIGHT be enough to make me consider it still, its still very powerful for its form factor and its nice they have not neglected users that needs GPU accelerated performance (maybe a bit of gaming too)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why would anyone in their right mind want a 960m in there? Or a dGPU of any kind. they shouldve waited to Iris Pro equipped Skylake-U and be done with it. more than enough power for CAD editing, 3d modelling or image manipulation

You are correct sir.

I disagree, that is what the Surface is for, the surface book is intending to replace the laptop part too

so its a machine that can be also used to CREATE the content, so you can edit photos and videos, do your CAD on the go etc

its designed around productivity and performance, not JUST portability, so having a GPU gives it an advantage of the regular surface model

Otherwise its just a surface with a better keyboard

I agree, its used to create content. and for creating CAD drawings or 3d models/animations, you dont need a powerful gpu. you make use of it when rendering said objects/animations or simulating stresses

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I agree, its used to create content. and for creating CAD drawings or 3d models/animations, you dont need a powerful gpu. you make use of it when rendering said objects/animations or simulating stresses

Adobe premier benefits greatly from it, just as an example

Why would anyone in their right mind want a 960m in there? Or a dGPU of any kind. they shouldve waited to Iris Pro equipped Skylake-U and be done with it. more than enough power for CAD editing, 3d modelling or image manipulation

Oh please. Intel integrated graphics is nothing but garbage. Still waiting for FULL (like real full) DirectX, OpenGL, Direct Compute and OpenCL support. And those shitty buggy drivers, I want sometimes feel like I want to take my awseome Surface Pro 2 and bin it. At thus point, I am willing to take a GeForce 210 (or similar from AMD), over this garbage, at least I know I'll have quality drivers works, and any thing I do/run will work out of the box.

At thus point, I am willing to take a GeForce 210 (or similar from AMD), over this garbage, at least I know I'll have quality drivers works, and any thing I do/run will work out of the box.

You are the most positive person about drivers on the forum. To be fair, I had more NV driver problems than Intel. Also to be fair, I only use NV GPU for gaming, it's Intel for everything else. Also had some AMD drivers in previous laptops, but those didn't have integrated Intel graphics.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

You are the most positive person about drivers on the forum. To be fair, I had more NV driver problems than Intel. Also to be fair, I only use NV GPU for gaming, it's Intel for everything else. Also had some AMD drivers in previous laptops, but those didn't have integrated Intel graphics.

Exactly my point. How about trying to play games and use GPU accelerated software with your Intel GPU.

How about plugging in and out your laptop multiple time while sleeping and waking it up multiple times, you'll quickly see how your Intel driver settings magically changes (but not in the control panel). It affects all Intel mobile GPUs, beside Apple MacOS drivers. Notice how you gradients are no longer smooth, and colors sift, until you either unplug the laptop and plug it back in (or if its unplugged, you plug it in), or you restart your system. Just the tip of the iceberg of problems.

Nvidia/AMD the worst you have is some old game performing doing poorly, due to optimization with the new game. You use the older drivers or wait for the next ones. No big deal per se. Intel, nothing is fixed since day 1... ok I lie.. they did fix the options that were acting on reverse of the labels that where mentioned on the Control Panel. It took them over a year to fix them, but hey, its fixed now.

How about plugging in and out your laptop multiple time while sleeping and waking it up multiple times, you'll quickly see how your Intel driver settings magically changes (but not in the control panel). It affects all Intel mobile GPUs, beside Apple MacOS drivers. Notice how you gradients are no longer smooth, and colors sift, until you either unplug the laptop and plug it back in (or if its unplugged, you plug it in), or you restart your system. Just the tip of the iceberg of problems.

I've had my laptop for almost a week on hibernate/sleep with constantly plugging it in and out (if we're talking about power). Also was using peripherals and another screen (from my PC in my sig) at that time so and didn't have any issues. It was always on performace setup when on battery. You might've had a really bad experience there. I don't remember having any problems except trying to update them once and it was my fault then. Not defending them, it's just how it was. 

As far as gaming goes, I gamed on a Sasmung XE700T1C with a i5-3337U. Tried to play FFXIV on it, everything was running on 720p low so it was doable (I even did a raid with my static at that time. You know, for science). Didn't have any issues except it was weak, but that's a HD4000 which is horrible. And we're talking about a tablet. Even the touch screen worked in the game. Oh was that fun...

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Oh please. Intel integrated graphics is nothing but garbage. Still waiting for FULL (like real full) DirectX, OpenGL, Direct Compute and OpenCL support. And those shitty buggy drivers, I want sometimes feel like I want to take my awseome Surface Pro 2 and bin it. At thus point, I am willing to take a GeForce 210 (or similar from AMD), over this garbage, at least I know I'll have quality drivers works, and any thing I do/run will work out of the box.

Oh I dont know, but maybe the fact our UNI is using the L4 equipped broadwells in their compute server for oCL would show otherwise. they may be buggy for games (i honestly never played a game on an iGPU) but for compute Gen8 is awsoeme

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Oh I dont know, but maybe the fact our UNI is using the L4 equipped broadwells in their compute server for oCL would show otherwise. they may be buggy for games (i honestly never played a game on an iGPU) but for compute Gen8 is awsoeme

if it had a 960m I would instantly go and buy it, just saying

but 940m, MIGHT be enough to make me consider it still, its still very powerful for its form factor and its nice they have not neglected users that needs GPU accelerated performance (maybe a bit of gaming too)

Honestly the use case for these will not normally include gaming or compute workloads, however companies pushing for as much power possible in the form factor is always a plus in my mind. The fact that Microsoft is using a custom GPU says to me that they are catering for this and are cramming as much power as they can into the form factor without compromising other aspects such as physical dimensions or battery. I'd like to think this '945m' will be fast enough to push light 3D modelling onsite as well as light gaming in a pinch. 

i wonder how much faster the 940 is over an IRIS GPU with DDR4

I do not think it will be much faster, because remember this? i7 5775c has iris pro 6200 paired with 1600 DDR3 RAM and i think Skylakes high end IGPU paired with 3000+ DDR4 ram will be faster then this, faster then that GTX 750 so...

intel does well in it's graphics. if they had that much improvement in CPU side skylakes i3 would be faster then i7 990x, but we all know that 990x will kick it's ass!

17-IGP-GTA-V.png

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I do not think it will be much faster, because remember this? i7 5775c has iris pro 6200 paired with 1600 DDR3 RAM and i think Skylakes high end IGPU paired with 3000+ DDR4 ram will be faster then this, faster then that GTX 750 so...

intel does well in it's graphics. if they had that much improvement in CPU side skylakes i3 would be faster then i7 990x, but we all know that 990x will kick it's ass!

17-IGP-GTA-V.png

But that's a broadwell chip with a huge iris pro gpu attached to it and no power/thermal constraints. Skylake doesn't have the same emphasis on gpu and especially not in the mobile space. Performance equivalent to a 750m is hopeful let alone a full blown 750.