Is you build more than you need, and why?

iamdarkyoshi

Did you build a more powerful PC than you needed? Vote above.

Edit: added one for LMG members :3

Also, should I add a second 390x for triple 144hz 1080p for rocket league?

Probably just about right, games run fine at 1080p and when the times comes when I start CAD work it probably will do just fine too. Might see if I can buy an old i7 3770k and OC it if need be. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

you forgot the ''I payed too much cus I didn't wait a week for the 980 to come out''

thats me... I bought a 780 just before it got released. cus I didn't knew about them...

man do I feel sad about that.  500$cad for that gpu...

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

you forgot the ''I payed too much cus I didn't wait a week for the 980 to come out''

thats me... I bought a 780 just before it got released. cus I didn't knew about them...

oh wow. I pad over 450 bucks USD for my xfx 390x non black edition because it just came out, newegf was out of stock on the black edition and amazon had the regular one for neweggs black edition prices.

I need more CPU horsepower. my GPU is prefect for what I need, but I could use a locked i5 for my video editing/animation/gaming. my G3258 just doesn't cut it anymore... :(

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Well my build was paid for by my family cos its for me and my family (so grateful to my parents. They are awesome) so I didn't have a huge budget but it turned out OK. Great for FIFA and pretty much all other sports games. But I only needed 50 quid more for an i5 and and r9 280...

i3 4170 : Asus R9 270 : MSI h81M-Pro VD : Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO : Seagate Barracuda 1TB : NZXT Source 210 : Some Random RAM

Does exactly what I intended it to (1080p 60fps Ultra with the intent to upgrade to 2560x1080 and to be capable of some novice video editing) but I think I overspent massively on the PSU (should've gotten an EVGA G2 650W, so much cheaper for the same functions)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Is you build more than you need?

No I has no build more than me needs :(

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

No, my build is not more than I need because Oculus Rift. I'm jumping headfirst into VR and there's no way I'm putting up with motion sickness because my computer can't hit a high enough framerate. I'm prone to vertigo at low framerates so its a big concern for me. As it is I'm planning on 'borrowing' my second 295x2 out of my folding rig because I don't want to fall short.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

they are very similar though. major difference being 980 is a power saver.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

My 970 runs games on triple monitors okay. But not to the extent that I'd like. Waiting for Pascal to see if the flagship has at least 6gb of vram. (Or look at HBM 2.0 benchmarks). If not worth then I'll just grab a Fury and OC it.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I want to upgrade to 32GB of RAM because of the amount of browser tabs I use. I want to upgrade to a more powerful graphics card because of my surround setup and barely being able to run games at that resolution.

However, I don't need 500GB of raided SSDs, but I raided them because of awesome deals on them.

Sig under construction.

My GPU is fine for the games that I play, but my CPU isn't enough anymore :P

Pentium G3220 and R7 260x if anyone's wondering.

Yes. All I play is CS:GO. The extra 7770 is pointless.

they are very similar though. major difference being 980 is a power saver.

and more powerfull than the 780.  970 is closer to the 780

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

and more powerfull than the 780.  970 is closer to the 780

Oh shit, didn't know it was that close actually.

780 is still a good card though

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

I think I went a bit overkill with my rig but God Dam it, 144hz 1440p max setting in every game is mighty fine

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

The only thing(s) that I bought that some one might consider excessive are two EVGA SuperNova P2 power supplies. A 750 and 650.

They had mail-in-rebates though, and they've already been approved. So delivery should be soon.

I have I great build for gaming but I physically can't play because of exams [emoji22]