$115 Build

Asulenovcer

There is someone I know who loves to play games. He can't really buy new PC to play all new games so he just plays few games like Command and conquer zero hour and gta sa(its multiplayer too). His current PC is not powerful enough to play these games without lags. To help him, I have decided to make a PC for him for $115 maximum that can play these kind of games at max settings with out lags.

I don't know much about choosing components so I would greatly appreciate your help and remember that your help is going to give him smiles.

Do you have any reusable parts from the old rig? 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Something new will not happen.

Try to get some full builds for cheap second hand or something

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Dude, I don't think that's possible. Sorry to bring you down but just a motherboard will cost you about $50 if you buy it new. The only thing you can do is go to some kind of classifieds and try your luck. Use PCPartPicker to get compatible parts, and then just see if you can find them for cheap on eBay or Craigslist.

*EDIT* If you're willing to spend a bit more then this is something to look into: http://linustechtips...ter-for-150-us/

Well, 115$ is not much to work with.

Do you know his system specs? If not:

If he is running windows: press windowskey + r

type in: dxdiag

hit enter

and post from the first page what cpu he is using and from the display page what video card he is using.

My first bet would be: search on craigsliost or ebay for the best graphics card you can get with that money that you can put in his system, that should give you best results, but further evaluation will be necessary once you've posted his system specs

Do you have any reusable parts from the old rig?

I don't have any old rig lying around.

I think they meant his old rig he is "playing" on right now

@Mohenjo

I don't live in U.S.

@peabody505

Firstly I decided to get him a new PC but I think I will buy few used parts.

@Chaosghoul

Last time I checked I think he had Intel celeron with vga,1 GB ram,60gb hdd. Will check for used parts.

go to good will get a pc and a monitor for around $40 total then spedn the rest on a gpu and upgrade the ram and stuff

Here's the best result on PcPartPicker I can find:

CPU: AMD 2650 1.45Ghz Dual-Core Processor  ($24.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock AM1B-M Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard  ($28.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($11.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Logisys 480W ATX Power Supply  ($12.99 @ Directron) 
Total: $97.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-13 11:31 EDT-0400

That's a horrible build by the way, so unless what he has now is absolutely super trashy windows 98 crap this won't be an improvement. So don't get this please, just save up or get one used somewhere.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

maybe if you take parts off of his old rig such as the case and psu. but with only 115$ you cant really do a whole lot. 

Intel Core i5-4690k EVGA GTX 980 Ti Gigabyte Z97-UD3H(blackedition) Corsair 850RMx 16GB Kingston FURY hyperX 240gb sandisk ssd 250gb samsung evo ssd H440 black and blue corsair k95 RGB Logitech g502

There's little you can do in terms of a $115 unless you can find a copy of Windows for dirt dirt cheap. I'm talking a couple of bucks.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD 2650 1.45Ghz Dual-Core Processor ($24.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock AM1B-M Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard ($28.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($11.32 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($19.95 @ Amazon)

Case: Apex TM366BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case w/300W Power Supply ($19.99 @ Directron)

Total: $105.19

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-13 13:51 EDT-0400

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

If you want to do this right, you have to more in depth information the build.  Specifically the socket of the CPU and as much info about the motherboard as possible.  Celeron is just a brand name.  

For example if you have a motherboard with a LGA775 socket that supports the Core 2, you can reuse the board and have more money for RAM or the discrete GPU.  Otherwise as other builders have shown you're looking at having to eat up a decent portion of your budget purely on the mobo.   

• 2 weeks later...

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I don't know how this will perform but you could buy an Intel atom board,it comes with a processor and costs around $60(new)

And u can buy a used gtx 480 or something cheaper.

You will just need a ram(laptop), this should do it, just use his old hdd and power suppy