Leo DiCaprio snaps up the rights to a movie about the VW Emissions scandal

Master Disaster

This is really not a joke...

When Leonardo DiCaprio heard about the VW emissions scandal he saw a hit in the making, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

DiCaprio's production company Appian Way has teamed up with Paramount to buy the rights to the VW emission scandal. Well, the rights to a book proposed by journalist Jack Ewing called Too Big To Fail.

In his book, Ewing -- who has been the Frankfurt bureau chief for Bloomberg's BusinessWeek since 1999 -- wants to investigate how a "more, better, faster" ethos among car companies led to the current crisis.

A US Environmental Protection Agency investigation revealed in September that Volkswagen had tampered with its diesel cars so to lower emissions readings. Eleven million cars worldwide, and 1.2m in the UK were involved in the debacle that will cost at least £4.8bn, with fines of up to £10bn or more possible.

The company maintains that only a few developers knew about the manipulated cars and that top management couldn't have been involved, though the group's CEO Martin Winterkorn has since resigned.

Volkswagen is set to recall all affected cars in January. The UK boss Paul Higgs said 400,000 UK cars need their fuel injectors fixed, and that the first faulty car was sold in 2008.

Leonardo DiCaprio at New York's People's Climate MarchRob Kim/Getty

When Leonardo DiCaprio heard about the VW emissions scandal he saw a hit in the making, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

DiCaprio's production company Appian Way has teamed up with Paramount to buy the rights to the VW emission scandal. Well, the rights to a book proposed by journalist Jack Ewing called Too Big To Fail.

In his book, Ewing -- who has been the Frankfurt bureau chief for Bloomberg's BusinessWeek since 1999 -- wants to investigate how a "more, better, faster" ethos among car companies led to the current crisis.

A US Environmental Protection Agency investigation revealed in September that Volkswagen had tampered with its diesel cars so to lower emissions readings. Eleven million cars worldwide, and 1.2m in the UK were involved in the debacle that will cost at least £4.8bn, with fines of up to £10bn or more possible.

The company maintains that only a few developers knew about the manipulated cars and that top management couldn't have been involved, though the group's CEO Martin Winterkorn has since resigned.

Volkswagen is set to recall all affected cars in January. The UK boss Paul Higgs said 400,000 UK cars need their fuel injectors fixed, and that the first faulty car was sold in 2008.

This drama is perfect for the big screen, DiCaprio thinks. It's expected he will produce the VW film alongside Jennifer Davisson Killoran -- known for producing The Ides of March and Red Riding Hood -- according to the Hollywood Reporter. It's not yet known if DiCaprio will feature in the film, which doesn't have a proposed writer, director or cast. It's also possible that the movie might never appear -- rights to books are often purchased and eventually resold, or left in production limbo.

DiCaprio recently signed a multi-year deal with Netflix to produce environmental films, after the success of Virunga, a movie about the national park of the same name in eastern Congo.

"There's never been a more critical time for our planet or more of a need for gifted storytellers to help us all make sense of the issues we face. Through this partnership with Netflix, I hope to give documentary filmmakers doing urgent and important work the chance to have their films seen immediately by audiences all around the world," DiCaprio said in a statement in March.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-10/13/dicaprio-vw-emissions-film

Seriously? If I'm honest about it Leo is a good actor whose made some really good movies but this is just dumb.

Whose gonna watch a movie about rogue engineers in a car company?

Thoughts?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

people watched a movie about investment bankers or whatever 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Still not winning an Oscar...

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Hopefully he finally gets his oscar

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

people watched a movie about investment bankers or whatever

That movie was about America's most famous fraudster, not about investment banking.

The guy was really famous before they made the movie about his life.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Rogue engineers? Management knew about it, there's no way they didn't. Why would two random employees risk their career and freedom over something like this? They wouldn't even have the power to do it by themselves.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

We all think this is dumb, but this stuff has been done before and it'll continue to go on.

For example, there are books that cost $40 that are written about things that could be summed up in a single sentence - people still buy it up.

This movie is going to be a gas.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Rogue engineers? Management knew about it, there's no way they didn't. Why would two random employees risk their career and freedom over something like this? They wouldn't even have the power to do it by themselves.

I wholeheartedly agree but I was calling it based on the current account of what happened. I'm damn sure over time more details will emerge that change our understanding of the events.

he might just resell them for more

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Maybe I'll make a movie about Xbox controllers, or the £1 coin in my back pocket, or the 14th pencil that I've ever owned. I don't watch movies or TV, so I'm pretty sure that dumber stuff has been made than that.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.