We need a great new MMO .

Si3Rra_7
Go to solution Solved by EChondo,

You could check out Blade & Soul, it's coming to NA and EU in Q1 2016. There is a closed alpha going on right now, but there isn't a NDA: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/463878-blade-soul-closed-alpha-information/

Been rewatching Log Horizon , and this occurred to me . The MMORPG scene has really been lacking new quality content , something you're not sad to pour HOURS into , a new WOW . We've been seeing lots of MOBAs , FPS , platformers, "walking simulators" etc . But MMORPGs have only had one pathetic attempt at introducing a BIG budget new title ( TESO ).  The first dev that properly makes a new MMO with certain characteristics ( some of which i will list ) will get proper money .

Stuff including : 

- Proper class depth , each having specific roles ( heal , tank , buff , etc. ) .

- Class trees that decide a player's role ( example , warrior can be tank by increasing defence and HP , or deal lots of damage , by going dual wield and medium armor )

- Balanced classes , no more solo "warrior" all in strength attribute practically beating everything .

- Proper party and guild systems .

- Proper marketing and monetization ( no P2W , no huge buy-in and monthly fees )

And lots and lots more stuff that i'm too tired to list here ( i probably have 20 more points in my head )...

Feel free to add ideas that you would like or recommend some fantasy mmorpg that you have been playing .

- A sad MMORPG fan

If someone makes SAO even with the death penalty I'll play

Edit: It SHOULD HAVE the death penalty

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

ff14 is solid, I just dont have the time for it and would rather spend my money on other things

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

But MMORPGs have only had one pathetic attempt at introducing a BIG budget new title ( TESO ).

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

HOW CAN YOU FORGET GUILD WARS 2?! O_O

If someone makes SAO even with the death penalty I'll play

Edit: It SHOULD HAVE the death penalty

have you watched log horizon ? It's more of almost the same ... Which i have been craving after watching even the shitty SAO episodes .

You should look into the Korean MMO market. Even their average ones are better than a lot of the good Western ones. 

The WORST thing any studio can do is actively set out to become "the new WoW" because it's destined to fail. Blizzard's MMO is unique and massive that trying to emulate it is a bad idea. Instead, we need a new niche product to capture attention that isn't another fly by night Chinese/Korean MMO. Make it work without a subscription model and you have something.

No MMO will ever beat WoW and nor should they try to. I'm down for a new MMO that's unique to play.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

HOW CAN YOU FORGET GUILD WARS 2?! O_O

Guild Wars 2? It has everything you asked for and more. Plus, it's free

It's meh , plus it's starting to show age...

I'd go for a Guild wars 3 , about now !

have you watched log horizon ? It's more of almost the same ... Which i have been craving after watching even the shitty SAO episodes .

Man, I have so much anime to watch. I've been told its good so I'll put it on the list but I just finished 'Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon' and theres still so many more shows. And yeah SAO could have been done better, and I never read the light novels or manga or what have you, but it definitely would have been better if it was longer. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

It's meh , plus it's starting to show age...

I'd go for a Guild wars 3 , about now !

Guild Wars2 is probably the most innovative MMO we had since WoW.

I don't think we will see anything new and innovative in the next 5 years.

Same goes for FPS.

The last thing we need is "a new WOW". MMOs before that pile of crap used to be so immersive you wouldn't mind playing it for an entire sunday, logging in every day, or playing for years on end because, before WoW, there was no "gear treadmill", there were no item levels, no token grinds, no daily quests, etc. Content was built to last, and was sprinkled all over the game's world; games like Everquest, Ragnarok or FFXI felt alive. You'd play for years and go all over the place and it always felt that there was something to do. Sometimes you'd go through an area you already knew and see something different, especially in FFXI with it's notorious monsters, random drops that could turn into an interesting quest somewhere, and whatnot; the world could surprise you and keep you interested. Games back then weren't just an unending race for ever higher "item levels"; they weren't just a power creep simulator.

After WoW's WotlK expansion, when Blizzard starting "casualizing" everything about their game, every other MMO dev started doing the exact same fucking thing. Everything is cordoned off behind instances, the open world is like a kiddie playground with zero dangers and nothing worth exploring for, the game holds your hands with stupid quests that only act as an excuse to vomit experience points for you and guide your every step through the game. They started calling this model every dev these days uses "themepark", and that's exactly what it feels like. It no longer feels like an adventure, it feels like a themepark, where you just jump from one ride into another, and every ride is always the same no matter how many times you get on it; everything is guided, you always proceed exactly as the dev dictates, and it makes everything feel sterile, artificial, and incredibly repetitive. There were always grinds in MMO, but it never became as evident as it did when all you did was grind out the same instance weekly to meet token caps, do the same "quests" that reset every day, and grind that one instance (or "raid") every 3 to 6 months, and then after that time passes, pick another one to grind out just the exact same way.

FF14 had the potential to become the next great MMO. For once in a decade, someone was making something interesting and unique with a massive world, well written quests and lore, and combat that wasn't a brainless skillbar masher. After Yoshida took the helm and brought out patch 1.18 of FF14, that game was the most promising one in the genre in such a long ass time. But then the servers shut down, all the features they promised us the game was going to be based on were removed, practically every element of the game got nerfed down incredibly (except the GUI, though 1.23's still looked better), and by the time we finally got the amazing version 2.0 that they had promised us, we got A Realm Reborn, and what we got with it was just another "modern" MMO; just another WoW-wannabe, the sort of game that has been stuck doing nothing of it's own, and simply replicates every single thing that WoW has done since it went hyper casual down to a T, like pretty much every other lame MMO, for a decade already.

I really hope Black Desert will be good, but seeing how the whole MMO industry has been for so long, I guess I shouldn't keep my expectations too high.

You should look into the Korean MMO market. Even their average ones are better than a lot of the good Western ones. 

you must be joking almost every korean mmo here sucks like shit. 

maybe you confused korean mmo's with chinese ones. The chinese ones are a decent bunch most popular would be perfect world(same devs that just created the fairly popular neverwinter), but I'm not quite in the loop nowadays.

The only korean mmo that went mainstream and was actually good is Dragon Nest. But even then it only became mainstream after it was acquired by a chinese dev company.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

#walloftext#

The WORST thing any studio can do is actively set out to become "the new WoW" because it's destined to fail. Blizzard's MMO is unique and massive that trying to emulate it is a bad idea. Instead, we need a new niche product to capture attention that isn't another fly by night Chinese/Korean MMO. Make it work without a subscription model and you have something.

No MMO will ever beat WoW and nor should they try to. I'm down for a new MMO that's unique to play.

I didn't mean i want WOW 2 . I meant something with the size and success of WOW .

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

and we will live such tragedy in perpetuity.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Game was meh tier. Only thing I liked about it was getting to play a faggy kitty boy. Rawr.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

I didn't mean i want WOW 2 . I meant something with the size and success of WOW .

Maybe not the size, that's impossible. But something definitely as well crafted with hardcore lure and great gameplay is something I'd love to see.

You could check out Blade & Soul, it's coming to NA and EU in Q1 2016. There is a closed alpha going on right now, but there isn't a NDA: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/463878-blade-soul-closed-alpha-information/

Heard of it , now i'm going to check it out . Thanks m8 . ( looks kinda 2000s ish tho :D , it's not gonna tax the gpu a huge lot )