Heavy caffeine consumption now increases risk of death to 150%?

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-08/ehs-mt2081213.php

I heard about this on BBC news this morning and the headline says that your risk of death increases by 50% if you are under 55 and drink 28 or more cups of coffee per week.

So everyones' risk of death is 100% add 50% to that you get 150%, you are now more likely to die than certainly?

I am confused.

Who drinks 4 cups of coffee a day? maybe that's just me but that seems  a lot.

A lot of people I know personally.

I know people who drink 7 cups in the morning alone.

Just wait for next week and it will make you live 5 years longer. It always seems like 1 week something is great for you but will also be the end of your existence.

Everything kills you it's all in moderation. But most people forget that part. 

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Wait your telling me that eventually I'm gonna die?So riding my streetbike into a semi at 150mph won't kill me but coffee will? Haha

Wait your telling me that eventually I'm gonna die?So riding my streetbikes into semis and 150mph won't kill me but coffee will? Haha

Well everyone is going to die eventually, you just risk it happening faster than if you didn't drink more than 4 cups of coffee a day.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Work in an office, it is really easy to drink 4 or more cups of coffee a day. It also depends an what a "cup" is by their definition. It has been a while since I was studying physics but I do not remember a "cup" being a Si unit for volume.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Work in an office, it is really easy to drink 4 or more cups of coffee a day. It also depends an what a "cup" is by their definition. It has been a while since I was studying physics but I do not remember a "cup" being a Si unit for volume.

A teacup was a legitimate measurement a long time ago.

A teacup was a legitimate measurement a long time ago.

good thing it isn't a long time ago :)

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

idon'thaveaproblemwithcaffieineatallandidrinkatleast8cupsofcoffeeaday. someoneoncesaidishouldcutdownbutidon'twanttoitsnotlikeitaffectsmydaytodayfunctioning.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-08/ehs-mt2081213.php

I heard about this on BBC news this morning and the headline says that your risk of death increases by 50% if you are under 55 and drink 28 or more cups of coffee per week.

So everyones' risk of death is 100% add 50% to that you get 150%, you are now more likely to die than certainly?

I am confused.

so if ur over 55 your fine :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

1: Kind of BS. Your body adapts to the amount of caffine you intake. Thats why after a long period of time cafine rich drinks dont have as much of an effect on people.

2: Theres are worse things in the world that people consume more of than coffee that will increase your chance of death. Alcohol anyone? Tobaco?? Heck, Anything in large doses will kill you. Go eat 4 bags of salt every day. You will definatley, 150% die from that.

2 pots of coffee a day and i dont sweat or shake anymore...well until late in the evening.

1: Kind of BS. Your body adapts to the amount of caffine you intake. Thats why after a long period of time cafine rich drinks dont have as much of an effect on people.

2: Theres are worse things in the world that people consume more of than coffee that will increase your chance of death. Alcohol anyone? Tobaco?? Heck, Anything in large doses will kill you. Go eat 4 bags of salt every day. You will definatley, 150% die from that.

Drinking too much water can even kill you. The worry and anxiety caused by doom and gloom headlines like this is probably more damaging.

Coffee is a delicious bean that comes from a tree, so fk da hll off if anyone wants me to stop enjoying the hot beverages I consume.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Also you mentioned that you were confused about the 50% more likely to kill you thing. That does not mean that you now have a 150% chance of dying (which is impossible because probability expressed as a percentage only goes up to 100%).  What it means (if you believe the article) is that people who drink an excessive amount of coffee are 50% more likely to develop health problems (possibly life threating) related to high caffeine intake.

what a stupid conclusion! If you drink coffee you clearly smoke and hate sport....

"Those who consumed higher amounts of coffee (both men and women) were more likely to smoke and had lower levels of cardiorespiratory fitness."

smoking and no exercise will kill you for sure a few years earlier...but to conclude that coffee is a main factor because these peope drank coffee as well makes really no sense.

A whole lot of people. For example my parents used to drink 2 coffees just in the morning, so i would say 4-6 cups a day is not that unrealistic. 

I am confused.

If someone points you a gun and tells you that if you don't give them your phone you'll die do you reply "Well, I'm going to die anyway so jokes on you"?

You're not going to live very long, whether you drink 28 cups of coffee or not.

"Those who consumed higher amounts of coffee (both men and women) were more likely to smoke and had lower levels of cardiorespiratory fitness."

smoking and no exercise will kill you for sure a few years earlier...but to conclude that coffee is a main factor because these peope drank coffee as well makes really no sense.

They never concluded that. They said drinking a lot of coffee may endanger your health and also pointed out that those who drink a lot are also likely to smoke as well. There's no cause-effect implied there. Maybe it was the coffee, maybe in those cases it was the smoking, maybe it was a combination of both, they don't know and that's why "they emphasize that further studies are needed".

Maybe drinking coffee has actually nothing to do with it, but you cannot deny that heavy coffee drinkers have 50% increased mortality rate and unless this was a huge coincidence then chances are drinking retarded ammounts of coffee per day may be bad for you.

Maybe drinking coffee has actually nothing to do with it, but you cannot deny that heavy coffee drinkers have 50% increased mortality rate and unless this was a huge coincidence then chances are drinking retarded ammounts of coffee per day may be bad for you.

17 years is not long enough to get good results.

You just can not conclude that the coffee is a factor...maybe it's because the people sleep less because of the caffein intage or what ever else. This is just a way to get media attention with no valid results to back up anything.

If you're drinking 28 cups of coffee a week, I wouldn't expect you to have a good lifestyle in the first place.

17 years is not long enough to get good results.

You just can not conclude that the coffee is a factor...maybe it's because the people sleep less because of the caffein intage or what ever else. This is just a way to get media attention with no valid results to back up anything.

Yes, it is. Most studies are only 5 years long, 17 years is a lot. Just so you have an idea, if you're a heavy smoker all it takes is 15 years without smoking for you to become as healthy as someone who never smoked in their entire life. 17 years is more than enough to study the effects of a substance on the human body.

No, you can't conclude anything yet, that's why they said more studies are required. However, they do have scientificly valid data and this study is important. 40000 people wide and 17 years long is as in-depth as a study can get. If you think this is just something you can brush off then you clearly have no idea how science works. If similar studies on different populations are conducted and they find the same 50% mortality increase then it will be enough proof to determine that coffee has the specified deterimental effects on a person's health.