Is there any reason to get a AMD CPU?

No, unless you are in a real budget

Edited by Godlygamer23

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

If you're video editing on a tight budget and you absolutely cannot afford a high end intel socket.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

The only reason I could possibly think of is trying to make an extremely cheap compact APU based rig.

Or perhaps for building a toaster :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If I were I would go with Intel.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

Get it if you like to see 8 cores in Task manager.

One reason :P

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

No??

I     own     alienware     computer     XPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Rendering.

For the money in rendering AMD as of now cannot be beat.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Rendering.

For the money in rendering AMD as of now cannot be beat.

So one person thinks that there exists a possibility were AMD is comparable to intel. 

Anthon 860K, better than Pentium G3258 at the same price (though that's the super budget end) but, also like the Pentium, the cooler and OCable motherboard starts to push it dangerously close to i3 territory.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

So one person thinks that there exists a possibility were AMD is comparable to intel. 

Next year that might be a possibility with AMD's Zen.

Anthon 860K, better than Pentium G3258 at the same price (though that's the super budget end) but, also like the Pentium, the cooler and OCable motherboard starts to push it dangerously close to i3 territory.

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

1443518591727.jpg

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Next year that might be a possibility with AMD's Zen.

If you want to believe in miracles....

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

The 860k and fx 6300 can be quite nice for budged gaming builds (+ a cheap overclocking plattform)

A 8320 or 8350 maybe for game streaming.

If you want to believe in miracles....

We don't know, you can't say that. They have been developing it for a LONG time now and it is in fact a possibility. You're basically being Intel elitist in saying that.

i'd say either on extreme budget, or for other precise causes.

(if you want to learn overclocking, it'd be stupid to waste $300 on an i5)

If you're gaming you can still make intel builds for less money so throw that out the window.

For lots of virtual machines though, "All dem cores can be very nice" says my i3. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Is there any reason to get a AMD CPU? Particularly gaming 

For gaming, i would say no, unless your budget requires a really cheap quad core, with no good platform features. Gaming is mostly based on IPC and FPU performance, both of which the FX series is bad at. The later AMD APU's, and the Athlon 860k improved slightly in IPC, but still not enough to catch up any closer to Intel. Most games do not take advantage of extra cores. Assassin's Creed Unity does, and RAGE does too, but very few do. 

As others have stated, more cores helps when it comes to raw compression and video encoding. That being said, if you can spring for an i7, it would probably be better. You might even find cheaper Xeons that will do just nicely for that specific task. However, you listed gaming, so i will remain within that context.

For MMO's, core count does not really matter. You want the fastest single threaded performance possible. In other words, the G3258 is king here. Unlike the i3, it can be overclocked (quite easily to 4.2 ghz  on the stock cooler, and even on H81 boards.) As long as MMO's and MOBA's are your only gaming preference, it will suffice.

For any AAA title, you will need 4 cores, or at the very least, 4 threads. Some games simply will not run at all on the G3258. The games that do, run poorly due to both cores being taxed too heavily, causing stuttering at 100% core loads. The i3 series will work fine for medium settings when paired with a sub $200 GPU. Going beyond $200 on the GPU, you might want to consider bumping up to an i5. Going beyond a $400 GPU, going with an unlocked i5 is probably your best bet. The extra performance you can squeeze out of the i5 will be worth it.

I cannot really recommend an i7 for gaming, simply because those extra 4 threads won't do much for you. At least not worth that extra $100 price tag. You might notice a 10% increase in FPS going from an unlocked i5, to an unlocked i7, in best case scenarios. Contrary to what people might think, an Unlocked i5 is plenty enough to drive even a Titan X. 

Simply put, most of AMD's CPU offerings are too old to be recommended to people. The AM3 platform is dead, and they lack many new features that are going to come in handy for the future. M.2, NVME, USB 3.1, etc. Invest in a platform that has a longer staying power. At the end of the day, its always your choice, but just be sure you won't have any regrets in the end.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

If you already have a am3+ mother board and you can use the 8 core yeah it is

We don't know, you can't say that. They have been developing it for a LONG time now and it is in fact a possibility. You're basically being Intel elitist in saying that.

Being in development means that it already had a set performance in mind. For example if they started designing the chip a few years ago to beat a certain intel cpu...Intel already made cpus better then that old cpu by the time the amd cpu gets released. Its kind of like when the consoles came out. It was already to late to make major changes. Now think of it where they already have a desing thought up then have to constantly change it to keep up with the competition. Not sure if I explained my thoughts correctly, but that's how I feel about it anyway.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

When AMD use Intel in their builds its probably a sign to steer clear ;)

Get it if you like to see 8 cores in Task manager.

One reason :P

seeing 6 looks great for some reason