Box Box Box - Sim Racing Players Club [Now Hype Train Enabled!]

In other news I'm pretty much ready to buy Assetto Corsa, but I want to buy it properly. Both dream packs.

Cheapest I can find is about $50. Should I just wait for a sale of some sort? I'm probably way too tight with my money but these things bother me so :P

Or I could buy Dirt Rally... But I think Assetto corsa is more worth it.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

In other news I'm pretty much ready to buy Assetto Corsa, but I want to buy it properly. Both dream packs.

Cheapest I can find is about $50. Should I just wait for a sale of some sort? I'm probably way too tight with my money but these things bother me so :P

Or I could buy Dirt Rally... But I think Assetto corsa is more worth it.

AC is definitely more worth it because you can get so many mods off the community (I've evaluated ~80 tracks, ~30 cars) and a lot of them are high quality and very well detailed, while most are simply ports from other games - it's better than nothing I guess! RaceDepartment is your #1 resource if you're curious as to what you can add to the game, since the single player of AC isn't much fun in terms of career progression.

As for purchasing, definitely try to bundle if you can. There is some extra content (5 cars, 1 track) from 1.2 that is free and like brownninja said, I'm expecting the same for 1.4. So your best bet would be the base game with both dream pack DLCs if you can find it (currently $59.99 on steam, $53 on g2a)! 

Try holding out for sales as long as you can, especially with the holidays coming up (dont recall Steam having black friday sales, but I picked up my AC base game during christmas for 50% off)

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

AC is definitely more worth it because you can get so many mods off the community (I've evaluated ~80 tracks, ~30 cars) and a lot of them are high quality and very well detailed, while most are simply ports from other games - it's better than nothing I guess! RaceDepartment is your #1 resource if you're curious as to what you can add to the game, since the single player of AC isn't much fun in terms of career progression.

As for purchasing, definitely try to bundle if you can. There is some extra content (5 cars, 1 track) from 1.2 that is free and like brownninja said, I'm expecting the same for 1.4. So your best bet would be the base game with both dream pack DLCs if you can find it (currently $59.99 on steam, $53 on g2a)! 

Try holding out for sales as long as you can, especially with the holidays coming up (dont recall Steam having black friday sales, but I picked up my AC base game during christmas for 50% off)

in that case I will wait for a sale. who knows there may even be a thanksgiving sale lol even though it's a US-only holiday.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

in that case I will wait for a sale. who knows there may even be a thanksgiving sale lol even though it's a US-only holiday.

False; Canadian thanksgiving was two weeks ago :)

But yeah Assetto Corsa, unlike Dirt Rally, is a game where you aren't really in a rush to buy. Sure, in addition to mods, it's a fun game to play on your own (hotlapping) but there is no replayability when it comes to single player (no sense of progression compared to pcars, similar to GT6 whereby you just play through the classes); while the MP is fine when it works, like we covered before, the likelihood of rammers or griefers is higher and the selection of online lobbies is very slim (also Kunos apparently doesn't like the concept of multi-class racing, so theres that).

Basically it's like GTA V but without the campaign / wide-scope multiplayer, with a bit of rFactor physics and without the iRacing cost (since the number of mods outnumber the amount of DLC, and there is literally months of content for you to enjoy).

If you can pick it up for as close to 50% as possible, you should definitely do it!

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Minor update: SMS has announced that the FR-S (Road C/D?) will be the upcoming free car, with the RocketBunny equipped GT-86 (Road B?) and same RB GT-86 GT (GT4) coming in the next DLC, alongside the Toyota TS040 LMP1 car. Obviously, SMS doesn't have a Subaru license hence there is no BR-Z. Shame, but I'll take it!

1491441573914041924.jpg

Also, in a bid to retain my sanity, started capping some PCars DLC footage. Suffice to say, Mojave probably wasn't the best choice if I wanted to keep my stress levels low. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHmfVUNOqK4

Also, can finally start exploring cars that are cross-platforms in terms of availability; first up the R18: still off real-world pace, but pretty consistant between games depending on driver and conditions. Soundwise, the AC model is definitely improved though it has a tad too much powertrain noise; PCars model is closer to what is being offered in FM6. FOVs are also a tad off, with both having minor interior glitches. Drive-wise, the AC car is easier but the PC variant is more rewarding, imho. Do be mindful that both are twitchy if you downshift at inopportune moments, or hut a curb in 7th gear - things you learn to get around as you drive more. Visibility isn't much of a problem if you drive these cars often. Shoot me any other questions you have, as I'm still collecting my thoughts on these.

The AC R18 is a paid model, though PCars has both a free and paid model (pre-HY R18 is included in base game, e-tron quattro is in the Audi Ruapuna DLC).

Folding@Home | BOINC

How on earth did that guy get the DLC already?

Spoiler

How on earth did that guy get the DLC already?

It leaked with Patch 5.0; cars are unlockable in the single player campaign provided you have the approrpriate contract (i.e. you can drive the TS040 if you're in the LMP1 season). The same happened in Patch 4.0 when the Aston Martins were released; one of the notable leakers in the community seemed to be spot on about these, having released the GT86 video 2 weeks ago. People are starting to upload their own content, and its  pretty legit now with SMS confirming it.

Can't drive it in time trial or MP though.

Folding@Home | BOINC

im not sure if its just me but do you find that the URD cars in AC and rF2 have more grip then you would expect. the lmps are great in pcars just one problem and it drives me up the wall, due to them being so low you hear the scrapping of the body on the ground. This is imo the worse sound in Pcars which is annoying because it happens most often which the lmps which i like the best and it happens most at my favourite track la sarthe. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

im not sure if its just me but do you find that the URD cars in AC and rF2 have more grip then you would expect. the lmps are great in pcars just one problem and it drives me up the wall, due to them being so low you hear the scrapping of the body on the ground. This is imo the worse sound in Pcars which is annoying because it happens most often which the lmps which i like the best and it happens most at my favourite track la sarthe. 

Nah, I'm with you on that - the PX1 cars do feel like they have a tad more grip right off the bat (the Loire PX2 feels alright though I still find myself spinning in 3-2 downshifts; base chassis is the same as the Revolution PX1s, IRL at least) but I haven't driven them enough to validate any of my set ups. Pace so far is good, though I'm patiently waiting for the Darche to come out before I get back into it.

The bottoming out sound of the tubs against the track surface does get annoying in PCars, and it's not an issue that is local to just the prototypes as it occurs pretty frequently in the GT3 cars as well. Just a matter of fine tuning your suspension how you like it and according to the track, usually ride height and spring rates counters most of the bottoming out but it does still occur, especially if you ride the curbing. SMS' default setups are enough to get  you going, but they do require you to adjust a few settings if you want to get the most out of them.

I spend a lot of time on Spa-Francorchamps and can vouch that it happens a lot here as well, mostly in sectors 1 and 3 as you approach Vmax. 

Folding@Home | BOINC

I want an autocross simulator sometimes. A mode where there track is random and cones are setup randomly each time you pick it. Perhaps not infinite, but at least 20 combinations.

Spoiler

It's here!! The Japanese Car Pack has dropped on the storefront.

1494191556325318801.jpg

And some details pulled off of reddit:

Project CARS Japanese Cars Expansion – Content Overview 

Vehicles
Eight new vehicles:

Free car
* Scion FR-S

Pay Package
* 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME
* 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX FQ-360
* Toyota GT-86 (Euro)
* Toyota 86 (Asia)
* 2014 Toyota TS040 Hybrid
* Toyota GT-86 Rocket Bunny GT Edition
* Scion FR-S Rocket Bunny Edition

Career
Two new core motorsport contracts:

Class - LMP1
Vehicle - 2014 Toyota TS040 Hybrid
Team - TeamMadness

Class – GT4
Vehicle - Toyota GT-86 Rocket Bunny GT Edition
Team - AutoRebel

It sucks that there STILL isn't a GT-R and they havent announced if there is a Nissan license or not - fingers crossed! That means the track expansion next month is likely to be the last for 2015, unless SMS drops a nice gift on the community in time for Christmas. Unfortunately, I won't have time to evaluate this DLC much for my self until after exams. If you do see me online, I'll most likely be squeezing in recording time. :)

On a side note, was also checking up on various Assetto Corsa mods. Came across this site, Assetto-DB, which has by far the most inclusive vehicle database out of all the others (I've listed them all under useful resources in post #1). Have a look through and see what you like! I downloaded maybe 30+ cars going through all 29 pages; most of them still have live links. (Note: if you look through other sites supporting AC mods, you will see the same content from time to time)

Folding@Home | BOINC

It's here!! The Japanese Car Pack has dropped on the storefront.

It sucks that there STILL isn't a GT-R and they havent announced if there is a Nissan license or not - fingers crossed! That means the track expansion next month is likely to be the last for 2015, unless SMS drops a nice gift on the community in time for Christmas. Unfortunately, I won't have time to evaluate this DLC much for my self until after exams. If you do see me online, I'll most likely be squeezing in recording time. :)

On a side note, was also checking up on various Assetto Corsa mods. Came across this site, Assetto-DB, which has by far the most inclusive vehicle database out of all the others (I've listed them all under useful resources in post #1). Have a look through and see what you like! I downloaded maybe 30+ cars going through all 29 pages; most of them still have live links. (Note: if you look through other sites supporting AC mods, you will see the same content from time to time)

Downloading right now! :D

Yeah, I'm waiting for more tracks. Selection in PCars is pretty good, but I like a very wide variety of pavement to race on. Some times I get a little tired of the usual suspects. ;) 

Just curious; you do A LOT of recording, just wondering why? For fun? Isn't it more fun to race against real people? Like us ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Downloading right now! :D

Yeah, I'm waiting for more tracks. Selection in PCars is pretty good, but I like a very wide variety of pavement to race on. Some times I get a little tired of the usual suspects. ;)

Just curious; you do A LOT of recording, just wondering why? For fun? Isn't it more fun to race against real people? Like us ;)

Sometimes for fun, othertimes to experiment and testing around with things. Gaming in general helps destress xD Or at least it helps when you aren't on Mojave kjfhasdkjfhsdjlkghsdf

Gonna jump on for a bit now.

Folding@Home | BOINC

Sometimes for fun, othertimes to experiment and testing around with things. Gaming in general helps destress xD Or at least it helps when you aren't on Mojave kjfhasdkjfhsdjlkghsdf

Gonna jump on for a bit now.

Well, don't be too much of a stranger on steam. We can help you de-stress. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Despite the tedious process of driving each car (even pointlessly going through FR-S, 86, GT-86 when they're 3 of the same car kjfdsgkdljfhjfdklgd) I have come to a conclusion: this is one fun DLC.

UPDATED WITH PICS

1494329107697640593.jpg

Using the TrackIR to look around each cockpit, you can really see how well detailed these are - from the door handles, to the dash (which has carbon inserts, btw); the seats and the seatbelts (sabelt and supposedly takata); the RocketBunny cars also have digital displays where the double-DIN head units are, a LCD for basic lap time info in the Road B car and a full racepack in the GT4 car. I've only done 1 hotlap in each car thus far, since I do have to get back to studying, but the verdict for now is that the wide-bodied cars are a boatload of fun to chuck around. Maybe more so than the GT-86 in Assetto Corsa because of the additional turbocharging (though Cosworth is supposedly sponsored, so shouldn't these be supercharged? /shrug)

1494329107794945681.jpg

As for the TS040... it feels noticeably slower than the R18, both TDI and e-tron quatto variants. It's odd hearing just the NA V8 and the distinct lack of turbocharging in the cabin. Note: This car also has a secondary display under the (tiny_ rear view camera LCD, which gives you your temps but is a proprietary design, like in the Audi; similar MoTec functionality; also gives you a read-out for current ERS percentage (amount left in the capacitors). Breaking from vmax and downshifting 3 times at the end of the Kemmel Straight (Spa) is enough to dump a 40% charge, up from 0%. Downshifting from 7-3 as you approach the pit lane entrance (and La Source) is enough to dump a 50-60% charge. Oh, and the batteries (supercapacitors) for the HY system are sitting in the passenger seat, in case you were wondering. The TS040, like the 86 RB GT, has enough power to spin the wheels in lower gears without really pushing it.

Oh, and since Nitto is licensed in this DLC, we actually have Nitto tires! As opposed to, you know, Masculin tires. Also, if you're driving either of the Mitsubishis, check out the G-meter! Mine peaked in the high 2s at points, though I didn't catch what it was for the TS040.

1494315747166256019.jpg

Lap times (at Spa-Francorcamps) are listed below. Keep in mind that these could all be lower given more seat time in each car, and a fine-tuned setup; medium compound tires used on all cars. 

Mitsubishi Evo VI TME (Road C2): 2m54s

Mitsubishi Evo IX (Road C1): 2m45s

Toyota 86/GT-86 (FR-S) (Road D): 2m46s

Scion FR-S RocketBunny (Road B): 2m39s

Toyota GT-86 RocketBunny GT (GT4): 2m35s

Toyota TS040 (LMP1): 2m04s

One bug I've noticed, similar to when v1.3.0 dropped for Assetto Corsa and Dream Pack 2, is that there seems to be a physics bug in the replay system whereby the replay rate is ~3x the actual speed you drove. If you plan on capturing your replays, keep this in mind as this will be undoubtedly much harder to correct for in post.

The closest we'll get to a BR-Z I guess.

1494342203388179266.jpg

Also, SMS have finally figured out how to do chrome textures for their liveries! Note the red stripe.

1494315747268525971.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

wish i had enough money to enjoy that, im a massive fan of the ts040 and the r18 can go die in a fire because booo diesal 

On another note though i recently found out 90s dtm cars are better rallycross cars then actual rallycross cars. if you guys try the rallycross track that was released with the citreon and throw a few e30s on it then you are in for one hell of a time. gonna try lmp1 cars on it later for lols.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Updated the previous post with pics! Also, here's some more content, after I did a bit of digging. We've known the RallySportDirect BR-Z is in the game via instagram, but actually playing it feels sort of special. Also, "in the game" so far as the livery and body kit - unfortuantely we don't get the big wing, suuuuuper sexy RS05RRs, or that loud Cosworth exhaust.

1494329107835405201.jpg

Also, my friend's FR-S made it into the game!! Minus the stickers... and the ducktail ... and the wheels ... and the shade of blue is a bit off ... still counts!

1494329107935822993.jpg

1494329107887515281.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

Ok well the 86/GT86/FRS is very fun. I now want one. xD

wow. just wow. I now see what Jeremy meant when he said "You can drift this car while reading a book"

Spoiler

@MEC-777 Rejoice! Catalyst Omega drivers are coming in November!

108a.jpg

^ the feature set for the 2014 release

Folding@Home | BOINC

Digging around the forums one last time before my exam. Came across some details regarding the upcoming tire model changes for patch 6.0, courtesy of the SMS vehicle lead:

EDIT: I goofed in the notes. The tire model update below wasn't done in time and will be happening for patch 6, not 5.

Last but not least, patch 6 includes some recalibration of tire heating models. Some folks in a G40 league here found an issue where a slight increase in pressure could cause an extreme amount of overheating in the tires. We tracked it down to a fix in a change in how the carcass generates heat at low inflation pressure, but this sent us down a rabbit hole of checking that no cars had completely broken tires with the change. Things are much better with the fix in place. Temperature balance front to rear looks more correct on most cars and it removes something of an exploit that was possible in car setup. You’ll need to take more care with setting tire pressures now and can expect a larger response from those changes. 

With the fix, tires heat faster, more predictably, and will really punish you for poor driving and setup in a way they didn't before. A lot of tires could move to more standardized values without needing lots of extra calibration just to get the right front to rear temperature balance. Before, if rear tires started at a lower pressure, they could run up against a limit near ideal pressure and lose heat; ending up cooler than the front even if the handling balance was strongly biased to oversteer. Now they get nice, consistent heating and show a reasonably higher carcass temp than non-driven fronts, which then filters through to hotter tread. Generally the temps are feeling more representative of handling balance now. Cool stuff.

While in there recalibrating the heat, I merged in some ideas we've been playing with for pCARS 2. Biggest of those is that most slick tires (those based on our SLICK_GT3 template) now have a larger temperature range for the rubber of 0-200°C. This fits in with stuff we've learned from rallycross where tires under extreme stress creep up to 180C or more. This has a pretty cool result of accentuating the camber effects of a tire so the inside edge reads significantly hotter as it should. Implies that our the old cap around 150-165C was limiting heat gain on the inside edge but not the outside. Also does a very good job at punishing the driver for abusive technique.

Some tire sets also had slight wear rate recalibration to fit with changes brought on by the new heat model. Anything that did change stayed at the same starting grip as before, but some will wear faster now and with a stronger grip loss effect. Prototype work on the upcoming V8 Supercar helped to hone in the right reference point for grip loss on a heavily worn tire. Generally the cost is about 2s over a 2min lap at the end of a run. Go longer than that and you're likely to find yourself driving it off the performance cliff and losing heaps of time.

And notes for the new cars + some fun numbers for the models:

The Physics of Japanese Cars Expansion

Time is almost here for the next bunch of cars to go live! Some notes on their physics model development to keep you busy in the meantime...

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI T.M.E. - Cool little variant of the best looking Evo here. Done to celebrate WRC champ Tommi Makinen and built in something like a tarmac rally spec for street use. The 2.0L 4G63T engine put out a nice 276hp with very little lag and smooth power delivery through the 5-speed manual. Much nicer gear spacing on this one than the later Evo X FQ400! You won’t hate at all that shift from 4th to 5th like on that other one. Sadly, a lot of the detailed technical info on what exactly went into making a T.M.E. seems to have been lost to time. Good news is it’s a popular car (very popular) to tune, so I put in a range of suspension tune options that spans most aftermarket stuff I could find and stuck it in the middle by default. Seems to have worked pretty well. Everything about this car is nicer than the FQ400, IMO. Gear spacing is better, smaller turbo spins up better, lower weight feels (so much!) better. All around a great little car for turning laps.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX FQ360 - F$%&^g quick, right? This car is actually quite closely related to the Evo VI TME above. The engine is still a 2.0L turbo and added MIVEC variable timing stuff plus 0.4bar more boost for a total of 360hp. We were able to pull a lot of other numbers from workshop manuals for gear ratios, front suspension geometry, etc. plus things like spring rates and damper dyno data from owner forums. Fun drive, splitting the difference between the Evo VI and Evo X FQ400. It’s a bit heavier than the VI, but still handles very well and the extra 80hp makes it about 20s faster around The Ring. Roughly the same pace as the FQ400, but with less turbo lag and a much better balance as that thing has another 160kg of fat added on.

Toyota GT86 / Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S - Gotta love these popular tuner cars. People tear them apart and measure every last thing we need to know to produce an accurate simulation model. Found useful shock dynos, ARB wheel rates, and spring rate info for stock and typical aftermarket, track setups. Put everything to stock by default; middle of the range on springs and dampers will match some popular Ohlins DFV units and typical track day springs/ARBs. Our reference car was laser scanned and could be used to get a good model of the rear suspension geometry. The FA20 is a nice engine, but there is a huge hole in the torque curve between 3500-5000rpm on all dyno plots; keep it between 5-7k for most fun. Added two popular final drive swaps as an option. Either one could be useful depending on the track and how you want to drive it. It really is as good to throw around a track as all the reviewers say. Just chuck it into every corner, floor the throttle and hold some angle through the apex. Awesome fun. I expect many of you will have some real world experience in the car to compare against, so it will be fun to see how you think it matches up.

Toyota GT86 Rocket Bunny - In playing around with the Rocket Bunny bodykit, we thought it would be cool to see how the package worked as a GT4 car. Long story short, it’s great! We cut about 100kg of weight from stripping the interior, etc; figured the body kit could change the aero from 200lbf lift to 90lb downforce; put on our standard GT4 tires with 23/64-R18 and 25/65-R18 sizing (one size smaller than the Ginetta G55 GT4); boosted the engine with a Cosworth supercharger for 335hp; racing brakes similar to the G55 GT4, and some very basic suspension tuning to put it at a similar stiffness to other cars in the class. Runs right on the same pace as the others but in a very fun, slidey kind of way since the handling is so nimble and neutral. Might be the fastest of the bunch at many tracks in qualifying, but it can wear through the tires faster since you are pushing so much harder in the corners to maintain speed. It is a lot of fun.

Scion FR-S Rocket Bunny - For this one, we took the approach of a more powerful street build that could be used for track days, some light drifting and showing off. We wanted more power than what the Cosworth supercharger alone and ended up using a twincharger type of system to boost the engine, which is kinda cool since we haven't done that on any other cars yet. Stage 1 is the supercharger, creating about 1.1bar boost and 150hp. Then for stage 2 there is a turbo added on top to bring it up to full boost and 500hp. The combination is much more driveable than some big turbo setups we tried where the overwhelming impression was just one of turbo lag. Having that supercharger in there first does a nice job at helping keep exhaust mass flow high for the turbo to work well. 

500hp is a real handful in something so small and it does have some pretty good drift potential when you drop the tire pressures very low. That aspect will improve greatly in the near future with some STM R&D work AJ has underway, but it's surprisingly good right now...if a bit too difficult to transition out of a big angle. We might also have some other interesting cars coming which will be even better-matched for showing how tire rubber behaves in the transition from traditional slip angle vs. force model to a gooey/slidey rip grip model at the extremes of temperature and abuse.

Slightly modified the suspension geometry for this version of the car so it can be set with very low front steer axis inclination and caster angle, as I've noticed is the trend is pro drift builds lately. It helps in that the huge steering angles don't cause extreme jacking motion which destabilizes the car, but can soften steering feel through the FFB at very low caster...it's a trade off.

Standard tires for this one are Nitto NT01 in sizes 235/35-19 front, 275/35-19 rear. Good for 7:40s at the Ring if you avoid going sideways for the whole lap.

Toyota TS040 - For me, this car is the highlight of the packages. Just love working out the details for these hybrid LMP1s. Manufacturers never give out detailed technical info for current race cars (and rightfully so), so we have to go into full forensic science to sort out the details of how it works. The car is a hoot to drive. Where it’s main opposition, the R18 e-tron, is only mildly hybridized in the 2MJ class and drives mostly like a normal car, this thing has a Mario Kart Golden Mushroom on it. It is the fastest car with a low top speed that you'll ever drive. The thing with these hybrids is that getting the fastest lap is all about acceleration, not a top speed advantage. It's a strange feeling; when going for fastest laps you will have lower top speeds than a GT3 car, but getting to it so much more quickly means you are over 20s per lap faster at typical tracks. Notes on a few of the sub-systems below.

Aero: The car made news for having a (maybe...probably illegal) flexible rear wing system last year. We copied that here with via active aero system so it sheds about 300lb downforce and 60lb drag at typical Le Mans top speeds of 300kph. Efficiency drops a bit and balance shifts 4% forward when this happens. Numbers are just guesses, but should be in the right ballpark. I think this was much more significant to their performance than most realize. My own lap times around Le Mans dropped about 2s when adding this feature.

Power Unit: The 3.7L, naturally aspirated V8 is good for 520hp from 7000-8500rpm. Nice smooth engine. Hybrid motors add another 480hp (when over 300kph, below that speed they are torque-limited) split probably around 40/60 front/rear knowing the TS030’s rear-only MGU-K was good for 300hp. Configured the hybrid so that, driven normally, it uses all 6MJ of the energy at low speed for acceleration as that's best for lap times. Burning a full charge will take you from 60-280kph at an amazing rate and is about 3s faster over a lap of Le Mans than using it for top speed boost, even if top speed drops from 340kph to 300 when used that way. It is possible to use it for top speed on our model: Get up to 250kph or so without using full throttle and then give it full beans. That's when you'll see the power meter approach 1000hp and it will shoot up to 350kph in about 5s. Impressive, but only ever useful for passing slower traffic.

Gearbox: Slightly odd setup here. I can't find any evidence of 1st gear being used. It is always in 2nd even at 60kph behind safety cars, in La Source, Arnage, etc. 1st must be only for leaving the pits under electric power when the engine hasn't fired up yet. In Le Mans gearing, 6th gear takes it to 285kph, even if top speed in the most effective hybrid mode is only 295-300kph. 7th is purely for fuel saving and when they want to use the hybrid for a top speed boost. Then all of the extra hybrid torque means that 3rd/4th gear is fine for all but the slowest corners. Expect to be spending most of your time at most tracks in 4th-6th gear.

Some best laps turned in testing so far:
Le Mans: 3:23.5
Silverstone: 1:43.1
Spa: 2:00.5

Some numbers from inside the physics for tuners. Weights listed are with driver+equipment included

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI TME
1445kg
Weight distribution: 39.7% rear
Motion ratio: Front=0.95 Rear=0.81
Damper transitions: 70mm/s all around

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX FQ360
1480kg
Weight distribution: 39.7% rear
Motion ratio: Front=0.95 Rear=0.81

Toyota TS040
950kg
Weight distribution: 48-52% rear
Motion ratio: 1.0 all around

Toyota 86 / Toyota GT86 / Scion FR-S
1293kg
Weight distribution: 44.1% rear
Motion ratio: Front=0.95 Rear=0.73
Damper transitions: 75mm/s all around

Toyota GT86 GT4
1255kg
Weight distribution: 44.1% rear

Scion FR-S Rocket Bunny
1373kg
Weight distribution: 43.5% rear

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?41348-The-Physics-of-Japanese-Cars-Expansion

I should start stalking Casey ... try and get some info out of the guy :P Oh, and TonyR has an opinion video up about the DLC as well; do make note about the above tire change, which is going into full effect in the next patch.

Folding@Home | BOINC

Tried the new cars in the Jap DLC pack in PCars yesterday. 

Why are there 3 of the same car? (FRS, 86 and GT-86). I would have much rather had 1 "86" variant and 2 other japanese cars instead (maybe a Supra, Skyline or GTR?). That being said, the GT-86 I tried was fun. You can really toss it around and not be too worried about being able to save it. 

Speaking of tossing, I LOVE the Evo IX FQ360. It's lighter than the FQ400 and has less grippy tires, which means, more insane AWD drifting and Gymkana style maneuvers. Was doing drifts and donuts up and down the high-banks on the Mojave test track, just like Mr. Block in his Fiesta.  :D The Evo VI is a lot of fun too, but lacks a bit of power for my tastes. Feels similar to the FQ400 but with much softer suspension.  

The TS040 is just nuts as any modern Le Mans cars are. Takes a little more strategy to make optimal use of the energy recovery system. 

The Rocketbunny 500hp variant, I did not like. Not at all. It has way too much understeer on corner entry. The power, I can manage without too much trouble, but the understeer just kills the fun of this car for me. 

Now, the Rocketbunny GT version.... THAT is an awesome car!!!! I had an absolute BLAST driving that thing. Still has enough power to be squirly and yet almost no understeer. That thing hooks into corners like a slot car and can maintain drifts fairly easily. I Absolutely love this car. This car alone was worth the $4.50 for this DLC. :D

@MEC-777 Rejoice! Catalyst Omega drivers are coming in November!

I saw. Can't wait. More gaming performance is always welcomed. :) Hope there's some more crossfire optimizations baked into these new drivers. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

I was supposed to share this the other day but I forgot.

It's me accidentally drifting a Vantage V12 GT3 at Brands Hatch lol

I felt so awesome after I did this lol. Too bad I cant reproduce it easily lol

Spoiler

I was supposed to share this the other day but I forgot.

It's me accidentally drifting a Vantage V12 GT3 at Brands Hatch lol

I felt so awesome after I did this lol. Too bad I cant reproduce it easily lol

Reminds me of when I accidentally drifted a R8 at the top of Radillon. LOL. Going to jump on in a bit.

1495922961832320683.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

Time for a photodump!

GT-86 RB GT shenanigans with @MEC-777 last night - good fun these cars, once you adjust to the brakes. Can't change the aero or openings to adjust temps though, oddly. Nitto tire model is fantastic.

1496906653706521156.jpg

1496906654000138308.jpg

1496906653367716932.jpg1496906653573561412.jpg

1496906653632788036.jpg

1496906653656499780.jpg

1496907170415478956.jpg

1496907170474239404.jpg

Road car shenanigans against @bcredeur97 a long way back

1496907170251237036.jpg

1496907170359339180.jpg

1496907170509822380.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

Time for a photodump!

GT-86 RB GT shenanigans with @MEC-777 last night - good fun these cars, once you adjust to the brakes. Can't change the aero or openings to adjust temps though, oddly. Nitto tire model is fantastic.

1496907170415478956.jpg

Road car shenanigans against @bcredeur97 a long way back

1496907170359339180.jpg

That top pic just might be my new wallpaper here at work. ;)

That 2nd pic... something's not quite right... :P 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler