Xbox One will automatically adjust when overheating

"And if the issue doesn't resolve the user can take a glass of water and throw it on the device. That will cool things down I'm sure." 

On a more serious note, seems cool for a console, I guess.

xxboxone-reveal-7-1369238060.jpg.pagespe

The Xbox One will automatically detect if it is overheating and will make adjustments to cool the system down, General Manager of Console Development Leo del Castillo toldGizmodo. As is common with some PCs, Castillo said the development team can "dial back the power of the box considerably," forcing the system into a low-power state to correct issues.

Of course, the primary method for cooling the system down revolves around how the fan inside the box operates. "The way we designed the box, we don't actually intend it to ever have to go to maximum speed under normal environmental conditions," Castillo said. "But there is overhead. So we'll allow the fan to go all the way up to its maximum speed and if that solves the condition without the user having to do anything."

The Xbox One will launch this November in 13 regions, but will arrive in eight others in 2014.

Source:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/14/xbox-one-will-automatically-adjust-when-overheating/

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

I imagine if the fan wasn't enough so in games it would throttle down XD

I can already see the message saying "Please wait 40 minutes while the device cools down. Thank you for your patience." on the dashboard while you are in the middle of a boss fight x)

This is not a good thing at all... it will throtle down most of the times..

WHY YOU NO LET ME BURM MY CONSOLE?!

Lol. consoles

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Sounds cool I guess? I'm already used to my components overclocking/downclocking automatically with heat so I figure this should become commonplace in all future technologies. Something like adjustable fan curves on a console shouldn't be making headlines anywhere.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

Why is throttling built into the components a selling point? This should be standard on the components anyway...

Think of it this way:

What if someone said to you that the "brand new, high-tech, intel/amd processors will dynamically adjust their heat output so they don't kill themselves under load!" TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

If your response is, "How revolutionary! I'll take 12!" then you need to put things into a better perspective.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Yay?

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Think of it this way:

What if someone said to you that the "brand new, high-tech, intel/amd processors will dynamically adjust their heat output so they don't kill themselves under load!" TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

If your response is, "How revolutionary! I'll take 12!" then you need to put things into a better perspective.

Reasons to buy the new Xbox: The fan spins faster when it gets hotter!

Like I said earlier, these things should not be making headlines on the internet.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

welcome to the new age of thermal throttling microsoft, too bad you are 10 years behind. This is a feature? Christ, I can tell they're trying to play this up as if it's such a big deal and groundbreaking. sigh. Maybe if they binned the parts better, they wouldn't have as many thermal issues as with the 360. but nope, cheap cheap cheap sell sell sell. 'MERICA

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Welcome to whenever they invented fans and electricity?  

Or better yet welcome to egypt circa 4000 BC when they first found palm fronds to wave at rich people.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

So throttling. SOmething that PC hardware has done for I don't know....forever. They could just put adequate cooling into the console eg. an all in one water cooler which would keep all the components very cool and would make them last longer.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

So you are telling me there is 100% no room in that box for a heatsink? My GPU is pretty powerful even if its a bit out of date and it never gets hot at all. Yea the Xbox One is pretty powerful (for a console) but I see no reason for them not to put a big heatsink inside that can handle both he CPU and GPU. Correct me if I'm wrong but its a modded APU and the CPU isnt very powerful form what i hear.

I guess it makes sense. A friend of mine just puts his XBOX on his pillow or blankets or whatever is close, and wonders why it red-rings.

If you are stupid enough to cover the vent-holes, you deserve to get throttled.

~Judah

Have they tried using IC Diamond? :P

also, GET A BETTER FAN GOD DAMMIT, why u do this? Make it configurable for the user and stop god dam restricting the console.

Let us know the temps, and let us configure it to run cooler (with default settings and restriction on how low the fan can go for stupid kids who dunno what they are doing).

PC ftw

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

So in other words heating is still a massive problem, and while playing games its going to overheat like a fucker, so the fan speed is going to shoot up making the thing sound like a airplane while downclocking the CPU so it doesn't melt.

:rolleyes:

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I would connect a fishtank to it and then it´s watercooled :)

So they kinda copy Nvidia's GPU Boost, except that it is more a GPU/CPU Throttle One.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

ah consoles, this is why I prefer to wait for emulators even if it takes ten years, pc gaming FTW!

my xbox360 (got it for $100) lags every now and again even on Naruto ultimate Ninja storm 3 which doesn't even have a huge map or anything.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I would connect a fishtank to it and then it´s watercooled :)

Or put the fishtank on top of it and never worry about a thing!