Why SSD Writes important

Cactu

so im thinking of buying a 120GB ssd for my boot drive (and some games) and i was wondering why the write is important, isnt read the only thing that matters when booting up or loading games/applications?

link for ssd: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GG06F8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A25SITGFW0OQJA

so im thinking of buying a 120GB ssd for my boot drive (and some games) and i was wondering why the write is important, isnt read the only thing that matters when booting up or loading games/applications?

link for ssd: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GG06F8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A25SITGFW0OQJA

Yea well my 120GB mushkin ssd is rated for 545MBps reeads, but when 70% of it is full with my windows and some games, I get around 490 consistently. Writes aren't improtant.

Dam 120gb ssd for $43 :o Mine was like $55-60!

Edit: Nice reference gtx 970 my friend ;)

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Yes, for reading Data(booting, loading Programs) the write-Speed doesnt matter, but if you install programms and save Data on the SSD you need high write-speed too. It wouldnt make much sense if you use a SSD which is pretty fast in read, but really slow in write

If you move large files to your SSD often or install crap a lot then it matters.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Everything it reads, must be written ;)

obviously but once its written i wouldnt have to worry about write speeds right?

obviously but once its written i wouldnt have to worry about write speeds right?

You'd be suprised how much data is being written to your ssd unnoticed.

A lot of programs and games write to your ssd constantly, although the data itself is minor, it does still write to it.

You'd be suprised how much data is being written to your ssd unnoticed.

A lot of programs and games write to your ssd constantly, although the data itself is minor, it does still write to it.

explains how my SSD went from 80GB free space since day 1 to 1gb today.. (looking for storage expansion atm.. -.-)

Around 80% of all SSD/Drive usage is actually read. Despite only 20% of usage being small random access historically its been the dominate factor in performance, whereas of course since SSDs became affordable its not been as much of a problem with the massive jump in IOs we could do a second (from 200 IO/s on a drive up to 100k).

So you are not wrong, if reducing the price of your boot SSD is a consideration you can get most of the benefits of the SSD in most of the circumstances with an SSD that reads well but which has slower write speeds. The OS will write things on boot, it writes every boot but its not going to impact the boot speed a lot nor the operation of the OS to have these relatively low size and volume writes.

What @BrightCandle says, but I'll add that you shouldn't get an SSD with too little write speed. 

My laptop (Samsung NP900-X4D) came with a Sandisk U100 SSD, and that wrote so slow that occasionally the entire laptop would freeze when the SSD had to read and write simultaneously. 

I switched it out for an 840 EVO, and the problem disappeared completely.