What Is Your Opinion On Buying Used Components?

Snapy1

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, anything wrong with it that is listed in the add if you buy off Ebay or something can be returned and refunded if the buyer excepts returns. But I wonna hear your two cents on it, have you ever done it, have you ever had anything go wrong with it, let me hear your opinions.

I would only buy stuff that wouldnt have a big chance of dying, like a cooler, case, or speakers

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well, just recently i went looking on craiglist and i found some great deals, so i will say its great

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

def the case idk about anything else tho.

I don't actually give useful information, hopefully I just  say something funny.

I got my motherboard used, my GTX 680 used and my Define Mini used. They've all been fine.

Don't buy used PSUs or HDDs. SSDs are kind of a grey area.

Sig under construction.

Perfectly fine, bought LOADS of used stuff, like 10 GPU's, 2 CPU's, lots of fans, RAM too.

People act as if the person they're buying from has done anything to the part that they wouldn't do lol.  PC components are pretty dam sturdy and usually have big warranties.

Not buying CPU's used is confusing to me, most have transferable warranty's that last years.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

PSU, HDD, and SSD and Case. ( could be some dents/scratches ect missing parts. )

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Never again will I buy a used motherboard. On one, the SATA ports will occasionally quit working (yes, even while running) and won't work again until I reset the bios. The other one has really spotty fan headers that will only work if the header is pressed in the right way, resulting in me having to tape them down to get the fans to work continuously. Not fun times.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

It depends what it is. Generally, I'd only buy the case used, but I think unboxing new components is one of the best parts of building PCs, so I tend to buy everything new.

There are 3 things I never buy used:

GPU

CPU

PSU

I on the other hand have bought all three of these things used in the last 2 years.

Hard drives are the only thing I am wary about buying used.unless the discount is super cheap and the power on hours are reasonable.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

There are 3 things I never buy used:

GPU

CPU

PSU

yeah pretty much this though i would include hard drives as well, 

I've had good results with the stuff I bought second hand. But for the most part I try to stay away

Columbus Blue Jackets

CPU: Core i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz | Mobo: Asus P8Z68 M-Pro | RAM: Patriot Viper 8GB 1866MHzGPU: MSI R9 290 Gaming |Storage: 1TB WD Black + 500GB WD BluePSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooling: Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)| Displays: LG 19"  | Kb: Corsair K95 RGB (Brown switches) | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Case: Diablotek Evo | Ext: Logitech 5.1 Speakers | OS: Win 7 64 bit

yeah pretty much this though i would include hard drives as well, 

Buying a used non unlocked processor is generally not a huge risk. and great deals can be had on 3000 series i3's through i7's 

Hell I recently bought 2 Sandy based 8 core Xeons (2665 ES's) for about $100 each. Well worth the risk of needing to go through Ebay's guarantee system if something went wrong.

In the last few years I have bought many  seller refurbished GPU to replace parts in a family members computers that have all performed as well as their original OEM parts. As well as a used 7850 that still works flawlessly in my ITX rig.

Knowing what your looking for when buying used hardware is key. along with buying from a good seller or from a service who will support the buyer in any claims/Disputes. if your buying on ebay make sure you look through the whole listing closely missing a line tagging the part as "for parts or repair" or "not working" could sour your experience and you would have no one to blame but yourself. (I usually get a friend too look over the items I'm looking at getting to make sure I'm not leaping without looking)

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.