Intel caught lying - Skylake does not support proper DDR 3 memory

Icecube26

One of the biggest advantages of Skylake is the fact that it has an IMC design with multiple memory support.  As prices of DDR4 drop ever faster, users will want to jump ship and upgrade to the latest standard. That said, DDR3 is currently a very comfortable place for some users upgrading from old builds. In an interesting report by Toms Hardware (Via KitGuru), it turns out that using DDR3 RAM at its stock settings could actually be detrimental for the health of your processor.

Ofcourse, if you plugin DDR3 memory (provided your motherboards has the necessary slot), it will run. But prolonged use can (and will) damage your brand new Skylake chip (or the IMC inside it to be more precise) – especially if you are running enthusiast memory with high voltages (1.65V). That leaves migrating users with a budget problem only with DDR3L memory, which officially runs at 1.35V. Ofcourse it goes without saying that most motherboards that hit the mainstream market only support the DDR4 standard. Very few will have support for DDR3L and even those who do have so, will have separate slots for both standards and will not allow simultaneous use of both standards.

The new UniDIMM memory standard from Intel allows users of the mobile platform to enjoy both DDR3L and DDR4 Memory on the same slot. Prominent AIBs such as Kingston, Micron and many more are fully supporting this initiative. This upgrade to the current SO-DIMM standard has made the notebook market more user friendly and also helped drive the sector that most Investor’s care about. We have seen motherboards in the past which supported both DDR2 and DDR3 but that was by utilizing multiple RAM slots. The UniDIMM standard will only have one slot for both generations

Source : http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not-support-ddr3-damage-ddr3l-only/

Apparently intel lied about using both ddr3 and ddr4 memory on Z170 platform as it only supports DDR3L and DDR4 .

Well before launch they said something else. Proof: http://wccftech.com/skylake-dual-imc/

This thread might get locked as a double post.. was just pointing out that even intel isnt holy as many people claim they are.

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

We already knew Z170 would only support DDR3L and DDR4 memory and that just very selected motherboards would have the capability to take DDR3L. Why would you even want to run DDR3 memory anyways. 

Your reading comprehension skills suck.  Intel has never spec-ed anything but DDR3L and DDR4.  It's not Intel's problem if mobo OEMs typo their documentation or mistakenly say DDR3 is ok.

EDIT: Also your "proof" link is a fucking powerpoint slide.  That's not official documentation so it's proof of zero.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

We already knew Z170 would only support DDR3L and DDR4 memory and that just very selected motherboards would have the capability to take DDR3L. Why would you even want to run DDR3 memory anyways. 

Not every computer buyer is a tech geek.

Intel already said that SKylake does only support DDR4 and DDR3L...

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

We knew it will only support DDR3L and we were also saying it is pointless as majority of users that would want to upgrade would be using standard DDR3 and not DDR3L RAM.

Plus that would be lesser issue if there actualy were motherboards that support DDR3L at least. But there is just very few of them. And I think for a reason... most people that use desktop PC dont have DDR3L RAM.

Well, to give them the benefit of a doubt; Is it lying if they replace the damaged CPU?

Edit: Oh, yeah. No need for benefits here. As so many reminded me that it's not DDR3 that's supported to begin with. 

Not every computer buyer is a tech geek.

So its intel's fault that motherboard manufacturers (none of whom are intel) are saying BS on their boxes?

Oh if only there was a way to be knowledgeable about the capabilities of the products you are buying, wait you can? Its called being an intelligent informed consumer? Oh..

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

>Intel: Skylake supports DDR3L and DDR4!

>OP's Brain: Skylake supports DDR3L?

>OP: DDR3L == DDR3

>DDR3 makes Skylake break.

>Intel = Lie.

*facedesk* OP...

*Picard Facedesk*

I pray for your sanity.

DDR3L is DDR3 @ 1.35V.  G.Skill was making 1.35V DDR3 kits years ago...was running that with my 3770K and probably my 4770K.  Those people would be good carrying over to Skylake.

EDIT: but technically I guess you had to use XMP to get 1.35V by default.  "DDR3L" probably defaults to 1.35V without XMP.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Oh for goodness' sake... It was made clear from the very beginning that Skylake does not support DDR3. It supports DDR3L. Intel never said it supported DDR3 and this was specifically mentioned over and over again by Intel and by various review sites and youtubers, and yet people kept plugging their ears and practicing some really quite amazing selective hearing, because I guess they just really wanted it to support DDR3. And it turns out, it doesn't. No surprises here. To be up in arms about it is just ridiculous.

Both the Skylake processors will support DDR4 and DDR3L memory in order to ease the transition to DDR4 for the mainstream segment, although it should be said that DDR3L is implemented here due to its lower than standard DDR3 operating voltage of 1.35 volts. This more closely aligns with DDR4’s standard voltage of 1.20 volts or the high end DDR4 kits at 1.35 volts, and as a result we are told that motherboards that support DDR3L will typically only be qualified to run DDR3L kits, rather than DDR3 kits.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation

That added CPU power draw could be offset at a platform level by the transition to a new memory type, DDR4. Skylake supports both DDR4 and DDR3L type memories, for lower voltage operation and power savings. Bog-standard DDR3 isn't officially supported at its usual 1.5V, although we may see some motherboard makers hack their way around that limitation. Most of the market will likely embrace DDR4 as the new standard, since it promises higher throughput and more headroom for transfer rates going forward.

http://techreport.com/review/28751/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-processor-reviewed

In actuality, the architecture officially supports DDR4 at data rates as high as 2133 MT/s and DDR3L at up to 1600 MT/s.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252.html

The biggest specification change (other than the new socket) is the move to DDR4 memory technology. Yes, Skylake will be able to support both DDR3L and DDR4. DDR3L integration will, with a few exceptions, only occur on low-cost solutions like notebooks and tablets.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Review-Skylake-First-Enthusiasts

Skylake does actually support DDR3L RAM, but that’s for servers and laptops. The DDR3 in most people’s desktop systems won’t work with it. You just need to come to grips with that: If you decide to build a new Skylake desktop, you will need to buy new RAM, too.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955293/hardware/skylake-review-intels-6th-gen-cpu-arrives-with-nice-presents-for-gamers-and-enthusiasts.html

Well before launch they said something else. Proof: http://wccftech.com/skylake-dual-imc/

Did they? Well, if you actually read the first sentence of the article you linked:

The leaked pictures of Intel Skylake mini-itx boards pin pointed something very significant. Spotted by bitsandchips.it, it was the fact the motherboard actually supported both DDR3 and DDR4 memory modules.

I don't know how you could possibly interpret that as "Intel stated it would support standard DDR3". It's speculation from WCCF based on a picture, which turned out to be not entirely accurate. It's not the first nor will it be the last time that WCCF's predictions aren't quite on the spot.

Anyway, this is a repost just for the purpose of adding a sensationalist title, so it will be locked now. Discussion can continue here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/458069-ddr3-15v-can-damage-the-skylake-cpus/