Laser Razor from Skarp

jos

If they really want to avoid the waste from disposable razors, there's this thing called electric shavers. And the battery is rechargeable too. Even less waste than having to replace AAA. I fear 1 single drop on the sink or the floor and some of the electronics inside will get damaged, altering the wave lengths of the laser, possibly burning you skin. 

This is really freakin cool.  If the part about "no cuts" is 100% real, I'm down.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Wouldn't even just that around my balls. Would much rather use this

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

If they really want to avoid the waste from disposable razors, there's this thing called electric shavers. And the battery is rechargeable too. Even less waste than having to replace AAA. I fear 1 single drop on the sink or the floor and some of the electronics inside will get damaged, altering the wave lengths of the laser, possibly burning you skin. 

They would work that out in testing.  They can't send a product to market if it poses a serious risk to consumers....

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

So many of them have a beard rofl.

Also, who doesn't love the smell of burnt hairs in the morning.

Also that doesn't sound even remotely realistic.

They are saying that that is the lifespan of the laser itself. The battery life is apparently about a month.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Holy crap march 2016? I got a feeling they will miss their deadline.

For 90 dollars it would be cool to get one and try (after reviews are out) but right now the cheapest pledge is 190 dollars. Not worth it.

This looks super interesting, but I'm skeptical as to how well this works. I'll definitely be looking into it once it hits market. This is a little too expensive for me to hop on and pay $190 for a razor. Also, they haven't done a kickstarter before so I doubt things will go smoothly.

We need a laser shaver that looks like this.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

it looks ridiculously expensive and probably uses a fair bit of energy. if you want to reduce waste just use a traditional razor knife or safety razor and recycle the blades.

The problem with straight razors is 3-fold: danger, careful maintenance requirements, and expense. It will take you 30 years to make back the money on a straight razor and the required maintenance materials compared to buying a cheap safety razor handle and replacement blade packs (which are themselves barely $1.50 for 5 for decent ones). Not to mention it takes a fair bit of skill to hone a straight blade correctly.

Minimum I'd pay for a straight razor before I'd start doubting quality is about $100. Then there's the hone/whetstone (2 if you can't find a double of 4000/8000), the strop (2 if you can't find one that's two-sided with leather and canvas), an anti-corrosion oil if you choose to use one. It's more expensive to do it right than you might initially think.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Definitely needs a review by Linus

*luke, linus reviewing a razor is like someone reviewing a car while not knowing how to drive.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

*luke, linus reviewing a razor is like someone reviewing a car while not knowing how to drive.

I suppose. Either way, definitely needs a review, although there might be an issue with Dollar Shave Club being one of their sponsors.

@Slick @nicklmg @LinusTech care to weigh in on that potential issue? I do love DSC's razors. Better than anything else I've ever used. Sharper, and stays sharper, than anything else I've ever used (sharp enough to shave a 4 month beard without trimming first). Would this be a conflict of interest?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'd say it is pretty realistic; the laser used is a very low power laser and only 'fully' activates on contact so battery life would be highly conserved. :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I suppose. Either way, definitely needs a review, although there might be an issue with Dollar Shave Club being one of their sponsors.

@Slick @nicklmg @LinusTech care to weigh in on that potential issue? I do love DSC's razors. Better than anything else I've ever used. Sharper, and stays sharper, than anything else I've ever used (sharp enough to shave a 4 month beard without trimming first). Would this be a conflict of interest?

I don't think DSC has been a sponsor in a while, and I don't think Linus has a non-compete clause at least in regards to reviewing products which compete with products which his sponsors sell. At worst, he might not be allowed to have that specific review sponsored by DSC.

some of the biggest shaving enthusiasts have beards... gotta keep it neat or else you're just a hobo  :P

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I don't think DSC has been a sponsor in a while, and I don't think Linus has a non-compete clause at least in regards to reviewing products which compete with products which his sponsors sell. At worst, he might not be allowed to have that specific review sponsored by DSC.

I wouldn't expect it either, but I would still love to hear what @LinusTech has to say on the matter. I would easily assume he doesn't have a non-compete clause or anything. He's said in the past that he accepts sponsorships on the terms "we give our opinion of a product, you can either accept it and sponsor us, or we can give that opinion and you not sponsor us" (paraphrasing.)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

the problem with this is that you can never get as close of a shave as you can with a traditional razor. It is getting better, but because of the way electric razors work, there is a metal guard in place that protects the user, but also means you can get any closer than the width of that guard.

The problem with straight razors is 3-fold: danger, careful maintenance requirements, and expense. It will take you 30 years to make back the money on a straight razor and the required maintenance materials compared to buying a cheap safety razor handle and replacement blade packs (which are themselves barely $1.50 for 5 for decent ones). Not to mention it takes a fair bit of skill to hone a straight blade correctly.

Minimum I'd pay for a straight razor before I'd start doubting quality is about $100. Then there's the hone/whetstone (2 if you can't find a double of 4000/8000), the strop (2 if you can't find one that's two-sided with leather and canvas), an anti-corrosion oil if you choose to use one. It's more expensive to do it right than you might initially think.

I have never actually used a straight razor, but I use a 40-50ish years old czech-slovak safety razor that I got form my grandfather so cost of me shaving is very minimum, a pack of 5 blades are 0.90 euros in the supermarket and I'm happy with it. I used to use cartage razors but it was both worse to use and more expensive. 

Apparently ..The laser is not burning the hair and make smell.. it is just affecting some molecules in hair to make cutting...I dont know how that works..

The same way shattering glass with one's voice works, except on a molecular level: destructive resonance.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The same way shattering glass with one's vice works, except on a molecular level: destructive resonance.

Do you personally think this thing will work as well as they say it will? A bit odd they didn't demo it or anything in their promo video.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Do you personally think this thing will work as well as they say it will? A bit odd they didn't demo it or anything in their promo video.

The theory is sound, but as to whether or not they succeeded, I'd have to test it. I'm skeptical.

The theory is sound, but as to whether or not they succeeded, I'd have to test it. I'm skeptical.

Yeah not backing it till I see it working how it should be. Too many Kickstarters promised an amazing product that ended up failing or not even happening at all. I'd rather see things like this get funded on shark tank or something rather than crowdfunding.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

They demoed it a little, just with a prototype rather than the final design.

EDIT: Checked the time, it's at 1:30. Not much of a demo, but it did look like it was cutting the hair.

They demoed it a little, just with a prototype rather than the final design.

EDIT: Checked the time, it's at 1:30. Not much of a demo, but it did look like it was cutting the hair.

Which is a bit incorrect. Really it's snapping the hair rather than cutting it. If it works out I may end up buying one. My facial hair grows in so many directions, on my neck especially, that I always induce a razor burn and nick an area pretty badly with a good German safety razor. The face is easy until the jawline, but the neck always gets cut.

First kickstarter product I've come across that I actually want

If they get this into mass production, these guys are gonna be loaded.