[Question] Bitspower Fittings 3/8" x 1/2" - Tubing won't come off

Go to solution Solved by Lays,

Also, what do you guys suggest about the compression not screwing on the threads of the barb? It's pretty much stuck, I can't get the thing undone on either end. Please see the attached image for example.. It doesn't want to come off!

Do you have any pliers?

If you take your shirt, and wrap it around it then grab some pliers you can usually get em off.

The shirt is for traction + not scraping the shit out of the fittings

( Towels work too)

Hi guys,

I'm trying out my first water cooling build and I can not seem to get two things to happen. I put a straight bitspower fitting into a Clear PrimoChill LRT Advanced tubing 3/8" x 1/2" to test it out. The tube won't come off now. Is there a way of removing the tubing safely without damaging both, the tube and the fitting? And secondly, the compression fitting on the other end didn't go down on the tube all the way. It won't even reach the threading that it screws onto. But I can feel that the tube is held down really freaking tight. The tube on the barb itself is so tight that I think it may work without the compression, which is why it won't come off either.

Any suggestions guys? I am feeling a little overwhelmed right now..

Thanks,

P

wiggle and pull

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

-SNIP-

Try wiggling it as spwath mentions if you can't get it off at all try dipping it in boiling hot water for 20 seconds for it to soften the tubing to come off the barb, usually that's the best way also for installing it. 

Thanks guys! I'll try the hot water idea. So it's normal for the tubing to be that tight on the fitting, correct?

Thanks guys! I'll try the hot water idea. So it's normal for the tubing to be that tight on the fitting, correct?

Yep, usually if you pull to one side and wiggle it back and forth it will come off.

I usually pull the tubing to like a 45 degree angle and pull and it comes right off.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Also, what do you guys suggest about the compression not screwing on the threads of the barb? It's pretty much stuck, I can't get the thing undone on either end. Please see the attached image for example.. It doesn't want to come off!

post-118838-0-28406200-1443397583_thumb.

Do you have any pliers?

If you take your shirt, and wrap it around it then grab some pliers you can usually get em off.

( Towels work too)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It seems to be a thing with the Bitspowers fitting being very tight usually as said putting it in boiling water does the trick but on some occasions it can be from the tubing being slightly out of the specified size.

what fitting size did you use?

are you sure they are 1/2id 3/4od?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you have any pliers?

( Towels work too)

The hot water idea worked! But the compression is still too tight to screw down onto the barb. The furthest it goes to is the first picture I had posted in my reply above.. Any idea why it won't go down till the thread?

It seems to be a thing with the Bitspowers fitting being very tight usually as said putting it in boiling water does the trick but on some occasions it can be from the tubing being slightly out of the specified size.

Yep! 

what fitting size did you use?

are you sure they are 1/2id 3/4od?

Yeah, they're the right size.. See the attached image..

post-118838-0-61714600-1443398687_thumb.

post-118838-0-84041700-1443398688_thumb.

post-118838-0-73400400-1443398689_thumb.

-SNIP-

Take a pair or calipers and try to get a interior and exterior dimensions of a fresh piece of tube to see if they are slightly out if either the interior is smaller or exterior is larger it can affect the way it compresses the tubing.

The hot water idea worked! But the compression is still too tight to screw down onto the barb. The furthest it goes to is the first picture I had posted in my reply above.. Any idea why it won't go down till the thread?

Yep! 

Yeah, they're the right size.. See the attached image..

It should be able to reach the thread...

its not supposed to screw all the way down, its normal to have a few mm of space there

But its not normal for the piece to not screw on at all

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Take a pair or calipers and try to get a interior and exterior dimensions of a fresh piece of tube to see if they are slightly out if either the interior is smaller or exterior is larger it can affect the way it compresses the tubing.

I don't have one :( Any suggestions what I should do? Am I stuck like this?

It should be able to reach the thread...

its not supposed to screw all the way down, its normal to have a few mm of space there

But its not normal for the piece to not screw on at all

Yeah! That's exactly what I thought.. 

I don't have one :( Any suggestions what I should do? Am I stuck like this?

Yeah! That's exactly what I thought.. 

Ideally that would be best but if you have a really precise ruler you could measure the cross section of the tube and it should be exactly the size specified.

Others I've seen them boil the entire connection and tube to get it to screw down further but other trying some different tubing not too much can be done since it's physically not possible to screw down.

Jayztwocents explains my issue really well right here:https://youtu.be/W7BdBPSx92M?t=625

Do you think I should get a different tube? If so any suggestions on the brand? Based on if you people have used it?

Yeah that seems to be the case sometimes, I almost always still recommend the Primochill stuff since it's really good and I've used it myself with a bit of difficult installing it on the compression barbs not too bad.

As for alternative I've heard good things like Masterkeeler, Mayhems Ultra Clear has good reviews. Just make sure it is compatible with the fluid your using since some are known to discolor.

Yeah that seems to be the case sometimes, I almost always still recommend the Primochill stuff since it's really good and I've used it myself with a bit of difficult installing it on the compression barbs not too bad.

As for alternative I've heard good things like Masterkeeler, Mayhems Ultra Clear has good reviews. Just make sure it is compatible with the fluid your using since some are known to discolor.

I have Mayhem's liquid pastel color and liquid. I tried looking up Mayhem's tubing, but it's only in 3/8 x 5/8. It won't fit the 3/8 x 1/2 compression fittings right? http://www.performance-pcs.com/mayhems-ultra-clear-tubing-3-8-x-5-8-10-16mm-tubing.html

I have Mayhem's liquid pastel color and liquid. I tried looking up Mayhem's tubing, but it's only in 3/8 x 5/8. It won't fit the 3/8 x 1/2 compression fittings right? http://www.performance-pcs.com/mayhems-ultra-clear-tubing-3-8-x-5-8-10-16mm-tubing.html

Ah ok looking at Mayhem's site as long as you don't use Tygon tubing your good, and no 3/8" ID, 5/8" would not fit on any other size of fitting.

http://www.mayhems.co.uk/mayhems/index.php/products/normal-coolants/mayhems-oastel

As a last resort being having to change the tubing try taking a pot of boiling water on the stove and boil the tube and see if the ring will even go down and compress properly. Also make sure your fittings are the correct size and was the tubing out of spec at all?

http://www.performance-pcs.com/masterkleer-tubing-pvc-13-10mm-3-8-id-clear-3-3m-10ft-retail-package.html#Details

Ah ok looking at Mayhem's site as long as you don't use Tygon tubing your good, and no 3/8" ID, 5/8" would not fit on any other size of fitting.

http://www.mayhems.co.uk/mayhems/index.php/products/normal-coolants/mayhems-oastel

What's wrong with Tygon? Isn't it better with the plasticizer free feature?

As a last resort being having to change the tubing try taking a pot of boiling water on the stove and boil the tube and see if the ring will even go down and compress properly. Also make sure your fittings are the correct size and was the tubing out of spec at all?

http://www.performance-pcs.com/masterkleer-tubing-pvc-13-10mm-3-8-id-clear-3-3m-10ft-retail-package.html#Details

I'll try the boiling the tube.. How long do you think I should leave the tube in the boiling water for? Yeah the fittings are all 3/8 x 1/2.. The Masterkleer tube you've linked, do you think I should try ordering that one and trying that instead of primo chill?

What's wrong with Tygon? Isn't it better with the plasticizer free feature?

I'll try the boiling the tube.. How long do you think I should leave the tube in the boiling water for? Yeah the fittings are all 3/8 x 1/2.. The Masterkleer tube you've linked, do you think I should try ordering that one and trying that instead of primo chill?

I'd try boiling the tube first to see if it works before trying a different tube usually around 30 seconds is good just make sure it doesn't touch the sides of bottom of the pot. The reason why the Tygon stuff isn't good for Mayhem's Pastel fluids is they said it changes the color of the tubing.

I'd try boiling the tube first to see if it works before trying a different tube usually around 30 seconds is good just make sure it doesn't touch the sides of bottom of the pot. The reason why the Tygon stuff isn't good for Mayhem's Pastel fluids is they said it changes the color of the tubing.

Alright, I'll try boiling it tomorrow evening. I'm about to go to bed. Thanks for the tips! I'll post here what I find tomorrow :)