Just had an idea, let me know what you guys think about it

Xtreme Gamer

So I had an idea about a couple days ago, but have no way of starting it (materials/know-how/time). My idea was: In order to either minimize or eliminate the hassle of cable management (or any other reason someone might not like routing cables inside a PC). What if either all or most of the parts inside a computer that needs a power/data cable plugging into it and the motherboard. What if those parts had some kind wireless tech built onto it. No, not Bluetooth or WiFi. I mean something that will transmit data (and power IF possible) on a frequency band much much higher than 5GHz. And implement (if the parts are getting bad performance due to competing for air time) something on the radio sender/receiver to minimize the wireless lag. Or set each part at its own high frequency band. It would make PC building cable routing easier to deal with, as well as make the inside look MUCH cleaner. So tell me guys, what do you think (without sarcastic remarks)?

Thanks for reading this!!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

no. bad idea.

a lot of people don't realize, but when you get higher frequencies, you get much more latency.

-SNIP-

Such devices do exist for pacemakers and the sort using wireless charging or power delivery but most if not all of them are low powered devices not hundreds of watts of power needed for a GPU as an example. 

It's so much easier to just use cables for Power transfer. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I rather deal with cables for a more solid connection. It's not a huge deal and troubleshooting in my eyes is much easier.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

It's so much easier to just use cables for Power transfer. 

Thats why I said "IF possible" for the power part.

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

Power part isn't a thing yet. You have wireless charging but as you may know, charger needs to be under 1cm from receiver to get something done. No way that works for high power stuff like CPU/mobo or GPU.

Wireless data isn't really a thing yet either. If you have done any transfer with bluetooth or wifi between two devices, you notice how slow it is compared to network cable or even USB. And those are really slow compared to PCI/e and SATA.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I can see that causing way more problems then there already are.... We already have solutions for cables... It's called a 750D and cable ties.. 

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Fuck yeah, interference! You thought your sound card was shit before? Just wait until this gets implemented. Lead shielding for everything!

While minimizing cable management is a good idea, this probably isn't the way to do it. For instance, people that have two PCs next to each other would experience problems, and high frequencies create more latency. For something like external drive to computer connections this could be a good idea, as reaching around the computer to plug it in can be a pain.

˙ǝɯᴉʇ ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉʇsɐʍ ǝɹɐ noʎ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ƃuᴉʎɹʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟI

So I had an idea about a couple days ago, but have no way of starting it (materials/know-how/time). My idea was: In order to either minimize or eliminate the hassle of cable management (or any other reason someone might not like routing cables inside a PC). What if either all or most of the parts inside a computer that needs a power/data cable plugging into it and the motherboard. What if those parts had some kind wireless tech built onto it. No, not Bluetooth or WiFi. I mean something that will transmit data (and power IF possible) on a frequency band much much higher than 5GHz. And implement (if the parts are getting bad performance due to competing for air time) something on the radio sender/receiver to minimize the wireless lag. Or set each part at its own high frequency band. It would make PC building cable routing easier to deal with, as well as make the inside look MUCH cleaner. So tell me guys, what do you think (without sarcastic remarks)?

Thanks for reading this!!!!

Well the new wireless standart 802.11ad uses a carrier of 60GHz and has a data rate of ~10GBit/s. If is cutting edge for (consumer) wireless performance and ther will be products to buy soon as far as I know. However even this data rate is just enougth for one or two SSDs, not more. Also this will have more latency than a cable.

Power on the other hand is nearly impossible at the scale you are looking at. For a decent distance you will loose >90% of the power, probably even 99%.

If a cable can be used, it it still the much better option for short and even long distances.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Well, then at least people wouldn't need to buy microwave ovens, anymore. Just stick your cup of noodles in your PC case!

Christ the inside of a PC case is electrically noisy enough as it is without a tonne of inductive power and EM data transmission.

Wireless transmission of power is extremely inefficient, so yeah, bad idea.

For data, light would be a better idea.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Well for components in the PC, it would be better if the motherboards were made to actually output all necessary power to every components, without having to connect secondary 6+2 pin connectors to a graphic card, molex or SATA power cables.

It would make builds a lot cleaner, as there would essentially be only 1 cable coming from the PSU to the motherboard. (And HDD/SSD could be powered off a single cable coming out of the motherboard)

Sure wireless everything seems attractive, but that's just adding extra latency for no reason.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Wireless power transmission is indeed possible, however it would create interference issues, and be inefficient.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Cables can look sexy if you know what you are doing.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I enjoy cable management I spent at least 2 hours on mine.

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

Well for components in the PC, it would be better if the motherboards were made to actually output all necessary power to every components, without having to connect secondary 6+2 pin connectors to a graphic card, molex or SATA power cables.

It would make builds a lot cleaner, as there would essentially be only 1 cable coming from the PSU to the motherboard. (And HDD/SSD could be powered off a single cable coming out of the motherboard)

Sure wireless everything seems attractive, but that's just adding extra latency for no reason.

That wouldn't be a good idea either, a wire can handle a lot more current than the traces you could include in a motherboard.

Just look at the PCI express standard, it can only what, 75W?, if you want to handle more power that would require thicker traces and I don't think there would be enough space for that, not to mention the heat that it would need to dissipate with 200+W video cards or other multi-gpu configurations.

That wouldn't be a good idea either, a wire can handle a lot more current than the traces you could include in a motherboard.

Just look at the PCI express standard, it can only what, 75W?, if you want to handle more power that would require thicker traces and I don't think there would be enough space for that, not to mention the heat that it would need to dissipate with 200+W video cards or other multi-gpu configurations.

That's why I said

"it would be better if the motherboards were made to"

They could make motherboard "bulkier" so that they can have actual cables running "underneath" instead of mere traces.

It would need to be a complete re-imagining of the computer as we know it today, but it's probably do-able. Then again, it would also create many more possible point of failures.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

That's why I said

"it would be better if the motherboards were made to"

They could make motherboard "bulkier" so that they can have actual cables running "underneath" instead of mere traces.

It would need to be a complete re-imagining of the computer as we know it today, but it's probably do-able. Then again, it would also create many more possible point of failures.

It could be done, but I don't see that happening soon.

or just make an all in one motherboard so it has the power supply built into it and runs the power for the GPU through the PCI slot 

well im onboard with wireless power but i still think this is a bad idea not everything need to be wireless.

i think something like a coffe table that charges your phone when you lay it down is definitly cool but that has still something to do with making contact fulll wireless power is to much i think i cant stand the amount of frequencies used as it is i dont need more radiowaves all over the place

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3