Community Opinion - Ads by FanDuel?

nicklmg

Hey all,

It's about that time again - I want to get your feedback on a potential advertiser (be it through the poll or comments down below).

We were recently approached with an opportunity to work with FanDuel, a popular one-day or one-week fantasy sports site. They offer fantasy leagues for NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA.

They seem to be a quality site within the industry - reviews seem solid, not many complaints. But due to the age restrictions (18+), we are unsure if it is the right fit for our audience (as many of you noted from the office tour videos, we do have quite a few young viewers). Do you think that is an issue? Do you see some other issue that we may have overlooked?

Let me know what you guys think!

-Nick

if it makes lmg money than do so

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

if it makes lmg money than do so

Thanks for the support :) but that is only one of many factors we consider when evaluating potential ad deals haha :P

What's this "sport" thing you speak off?

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Im against advertising what looks like a gambling site..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Thanks for the support :) but that is only one of many factors we consider when evaluating potential ad deals haha :P

what are all the factors?

also SENPAI NOTICED ME!!!!!! :P

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Going to see a lot of troll & uneducated votes against them. For me, it's perfectly fine. The age thing is the only big issue because the younger crowed on LTT is a very troublesome and rather immature group so I can see them causing a bit of a ruckus.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I am half and half with this as these "Fantasy League" sites have been popping up like wildfire recently or more so the advertisements for them have gone up a fair amount too.

The business man in me says yes as its more revenue for you but the fan in me says no as its not 100% relevant to anything about the 2 channels.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

at this point, what the fuck does it matter

Care to elaborate?

what are all the factors?

Whether we think a product/service will actually be interesting to viewers, whether they have sound business practices, are they a reputable outfit in their industry, etc.

I feel like it doest apply the ltt crowd

I don't care about sports

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Hey all,

It's about that time again - I want to get your feedback on a potential advertiser (be it through the poll or comments down below).

We were recently approached with an opportunity to work with FanDuel, a popular one-day or one-week fantasy sports site. They offer fantasy leagues for NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA.

They seem to be a quality site within the industry - reviews seem solid, not many complaints. But due to the age restrictions (18+), we are unsure if it is the right fit for our audience (as many of you noted from the office tour videos, we do have quite a few young viewers). Do you think that is an issue? Do you see some other issue that we may have overlooked?

Let me know what you guys think!

-Nick

here, i ill put myself in the unsure region of people.

but here is why : 

I want to say yes. because it does look like a great company, and a great oportunity. It would be a go for me.

Although, I want to say no, because I don'T think it fits the majority of your audience. If I were you, id try to find sponsors that relate as much as possible to the majority of the viewers.

with that said. I mean, dollarshaveclub isin't really for people under 18 either. 

anyway. id say go for it. but perhaps compare it to the other ads you guys pass. to compare how well it did ? (im 100% sure there are stats you can find for that. it has to be somewhere.)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

You have to first ask if anyone here is actually into fantasy sports (i don't even know what it is). From my experience, people that're big tech lovers don't really like sports that much.

Maybe a strawpoll or something similar, to see if anyone actually would use that site?

I personally couldn't care less about sports, but that's just me.

Care to elaborate?

Whether we think a product/service will actually be interesting to viewers, whether they have sound business practices, are they a reputable outfit in their industry, etc.

well if it puts bread on the table then it don't really matter :)

but honestly, we should see if anyone else has used fanduel here

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Thanks for asking first before making the decision.

Due to the fact that at least 70% of the members this forum are 17 and under, I would strongly advise against a sponsorship deal with FanDuel. Promoting something that is essentially gambling to an audience which is mostly under 18 would be quite hurtful to the trust that I have into LTT/LMG

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

at this point, what the fuck does it matter

it matters a lot actually. if Nick decides to throw Tampax ads on the show. I don't think Tampax would pay them much. considering the majority of people here are mens, and most women probably know about Tampax.  witch gets back to waste of ad pace for little money.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

No, because it triggers me. 

/s

it's just another ad, who cares? As long as they aren't selling my skype name to more e-cam sites, I'm down with them :)

junker build in the making

I want to say yes. because it does look like a great company, and a great oportunity. It would be a go for me.

Although, I want to say no, because I don'T think it fits the majority of your audience. If I were you, id try to find sponsors that relate as much as possible to the majority of the viewers.

with that said. I mean, dollarshaveclub isin't really for people under 18 either. 

anyway. id say go for it. but perhaps compare it to the other ads you guys pass. to compare how well it did ? (im 100% sure there are stats you can find for that. it has to be somewhere.)

Thanks for your feedback :)

That's the goal of this thread - to see how relatable they may be to you guys. I know it isn't a perfect fit at first glance, but I wanted to get some feedback from everyone and see what the general consensus would be (or if there would be one).

it matters a lot actually. if Nick decides to throw Tampax ads on the show. I don't think Tampax would pay them much. considering the majority of people here are mens, and most women probably know about Tampax.  witch gets back to waste of ad pace for little money.

read my reply

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Depends on intrusiveness. It won't be something like "Single females in your area" kind of ads right? 

If its because of the gambling nature of fantasy sports that's making it 18+ then it should be fine.

It has the possibility to be a win/win but a fairly short lived one. Sure, they can get a TAD more exposure from a tech based Youtube channel but I don't see them getting the type of traffic they would be wanting in return. 

Depending on how much they are fronting upfront or if it's a "you get x% from the 1200 unique visitors we got from your channel" - Would filling it with another sponsor fit the ad spot better?

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

It seems like a confusing and ill met match for LMG's content in all truth, but I'm speaking from my own taste more than anything. I don't mind the advertisement and if it benefits LMG as a whole I don't mind it, but sports based advertisements for a typically PC gamer based audience doesn't seem like a terribly nice fit.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I want to say yes as it'd be another revenue stream but the audience really doesn't match up imo.

Minor thing for me: The cross section of tech heads / people that would gamble on sports seems to be quite small so it may be a fairly small revenue stream for you guys.

Major thing for me: It's effectively a gambling site sponsoring a content creator with the majority of the audience being under the age of 18 and easily influenced. 

Regards, Mape

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6