Coding to be taught in Australian schools from primary age

sylarspock

I'm all for this.

Progress is good and every country should start doing this, even if it's the basics.

Jesus we are doing something right for once?

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

You're telling me.

As a 10th grader in Alabama, I can safely say that education has gone down the toilet.

Rxt2GO3.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

While I agree that coding needs to be taught in school, primary school kids don't have their logical thinking all that developed yet.

Middleschool maybe, but not primary school.

I agree that actual coding shouldn't start until grades 7 or 8, but they can certainly start teaching logic puzzles and the foundations needed for programming in earlier grades.

middleschool??? what's middleschool??

Middleschool is the equivalent of about grades 6 to 8 (Some may include Grade 5 in this, or as high as Grades 9 and 10) - it depends on the specific region/country.

Middleschool can be used interchangeably with "Junior High School" sometimes, but not always.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

My thoughts exactly. I had no idea how the education system in 'Straya works

I think that's just the header for the article, it's never going to replace them.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

....yea, because who needs history lessons, right?

I seriously hope I am misunderstanding this article...

I also read that bit and scratched my head.

Can anyone confirm or elaborate on what they mean by "replace" history and geography?

I'm assuming that they aren't replacing all history and geography classes - because that would be utterly retarded. While coding is very very important for the high tech IT industry, it's arguable that many people will hate coding, and therefore never go into that field.

However, basic history and geography are pretty much crucial to being an informed, free-thinking and functioning adult.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

you most likly see the technology sector in Australia get abit more coin since the new pm is in

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Can anyone confirm or elaborate on what they mean by "replace" history and geography?

I'm assuming that they aren't replacing all history and geography classes - because that would be utterly retarded. While coding is very very important for the high tech IT industry, it's arguable that many people will hate coding, and therefore never go into that field.

However, basic history and geography are pretty much crucial to being an informed, free-thinking and functioning adult.

Australian brothers and sisters, please give us some insight. :ph34r:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Australian brothers and sisters, please give us some insight. :ph34r:

A conservative party isn't going to replace history and geography with IT, so it'll still stay, somehow.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

back when i was at school geography was an elective and students had to choose a type of history to learn - australian, ancient and something else i think.

I am guess there updating the history side (how did technology come about?) and stream lining it more - but saying that the education system is crap

A conservative party isn't going to replace history and geophahy with IT, so it'll still stay, somehow.

especially since they axed science education programs with the csiro and give more money to the school chaplains etc

What? Something as important as geography an elective? And choosing which history to learn?

That is crazy! :wacko:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

especially since they axed science education programs with the csiro and give more money to the school chaplains etc

Well that was with Abbott, we'll see what goes with Turnbull.

What? Something as important as geography an elective? And choosing which history to learn?

That is crazy! :wacko:

In highschool you can choose most of the subjects you do besides maths, english, science and humanities.

PM<- Who needs history lessons, we're moving forward, not backwards!

I do agree about it being a little early on to start.

I can see it now, PM slaps this on the desk,....."Fuck it,... thats Good Enough"3090024.jpg

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

PM<- Who needs history lessons, we're moving forward, not backwards!

I do agree about it being a little early on to start.

I can see it now, PM slaps this on the desk,....."Fuck it,... thats Good Enough"3090024.jpg

If you don't learn about the past, you are bound to repeat it.

And the US slips further back in the education department.

Good for you Australia.

You're telling me.

As a 10th grader in Alabama, I can safely say that education has gone down the toilet.

common core is total shit. i see no fucking point in it.

honestly i feel bad for anybody born after 2001, being guinea pigs for this stupid standard. i was the last generation, for example, who took the old route of math in high school (geometry, algebra 2, pre calc, etc.)

This June, I went to DC for an advocacy conference for high schoolers that was meant to help push the lawmakers to pass the new ESEA bill (no child left behind but less shit and fixed) that was supposed to be rewritten in 2004, and it was really an eye opener on how little most people there care about education. It needs to be reauthorized - at the moment, most states that don't comply with the outdated and unrealistic goals set in the "No child left" act get a waiver which allows them access to federal money, but only if they comply to federal education mandates (common core).  My senators, Stabenow and Peters, were supportive enough, but my representative in the house essentially said he didn't want to do shit until it was rewritten. The senate passed it without much debate, the house didn't want to without rewriting (takes years but we need ASAP). At the end of July, they got it passed by just 5 votes before summer recess. Since then absolutely nothing has happened... they have not even formed the conference committee yet. Please write your congresspeople - this bill is supposed to be renewed every 3 years. It's been 15 years. 

House Bill H.R.5. - https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/5

Adams

Aguilar

Amash

Ashford

Bass

Beatty

Becerra

Bera

Beyer

Bishop (GA)

Blumenauer

Bonamici

Boyle, Brendan F.

Brady (PA)

Brooks (AL)

Brown (FL)

Brownley (CA)

Buck

Bustos

Butterfield

Capps

Capuano

Cárdenas

Carney

Carson (IN)

Cartwright

Castor (FL)

Castro (TX)

Chu, Judy

Cicilline

Clark (MA)

Clarke (NY)

Clawson (FL)

Clay

Cleaver

Clyburn

Cohen

Connolly

Conyers

Cooper

Costa

Courtney

Crowley

Cuellar

Cummings

Davis (CA)

Davis, Danny

DeFazio

DeGette

Delaney

DeLauro

DelBene

DeSantis

DeSaulnier

DesJarlais

Deutch

Dingell

Doggett

Doyle, Michael F.

Duckworth

Edwards

Ellison

Engel

Eshoo

Esty

Farr

Fattah

Fleming

Foster

Frankel (FL)

Fudge

Gabbard

Gallego

Garamendi

Gibson

Gohmert

Graham

Graves (LA)

Graves (MO)

Grayson

Green, Al

Green, Gene

Grijalva

Gutiérrez

Hahn

Hastings

Heck (WA)

Hice, Jody B.

Higgins

Himes

Hinojosa

Honda

Hoyer

Huelskamp

Huffman

Israel

Jackson Lee

Jeffries

Johnson (GA)

Johnson, E. B.

Jones

Jordan

Joyce

Kaptur

Keating

Kelly (IL)

Kennedy

Kildee

Kilmer

Kind

Kirkpatrick

Kuster

Langevin

Larsen (WA)

Larson (CT)

Lawrence

Lee

Levin

Lewis

Lieu, Ted

Lipinski

LoBiondo

Loebsack

Lowenthal

Lowey

Lujan Grisham (NM)

Luján, Ben Ray (NM)

Lynch

Maloney, Carolyn

Maloney, Sean

Massie

Matsui

McCollum

McDermott

McGovern

McNerney

Meadows

Meeks

Meng

Miller (FL)

Moore

Moulton

Murphy (FL)

Nadler

Napolitano

Neal

Nolan

Norcross

O'Rourke

Pallone

Pascrell

Payne

Pelosi

Perlmutter

Peters

Peterson

Pingree

Pocan

Polis

Price (NC)

Quigley

Rangel

Rice (NY)

Richmond

Rohrabacher

Rothfus

Roybal-Allard

Ruiz

Ruppersberger

Rush

Ryan (OH)

Sánchez, Linda T.

Sanchez, Loretta

Sanford

Sarbanes

Schakowsky

Schiff

Schrader

Scott (VA)

Scott, David

Sensenbrenner

Serrano

Sewell (AL)

Sinema

Sires

Slaughter

Smith (WA)

Speier

Stutzman

Swalwell (CA)

Takai

Takano

Thompson (CA)

Thompson (MS)

Titus

Tonko

Torres

Tsongas

Van Hollen

Vargas

Veasey

Vela

Velázquez

Visclosky

Walz

Wasserman Schultz

Waters, Maxine

Watson Coleman

Welch

Wenstrup

Wilson (FL)

Yarmuth

Yoho

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2015/roll423.xml

Senate Bill S.1177 - https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/1177

Blunt (R-MO)

Booker (D-NJ)

Crapo (R-ID)

Cruz (R-TX)

Daines (R-MT)

Flake (R-AZ)

Lee (R-UT)

Moran (R-KS)

Murphy (D-CT)

Paul (R-KY)

Risch (R-ID)

Rubio (R-FL)

Sasse (R-NE)

Scott (R-SC)

Shelby (R-AL)

Vitter (R-LA)

Warren (D-MA)

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?&congress=114&session=1&vote=00249#position

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

so is this move attributed to Abbot's term of government or Turnbull ? :D

While I agree that coding needs to be taught in school, primary school kids don't have their logical thinking all that developed yet.

Middleschool maybe, but not primary school.

Agreed.  Not just logic thinking, but also the ability to build purposeful arguments.  If you cannot write a multiple paragraph essay - that makes sense - in your native tongue then you are simply not going to grok coding. 

A feelgood waste of time and effort. And the kids will be the ones who lose the most.

There replacing history and geography? seriously?! Why couldn't i go to school these days -_-

"new Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's heavy focus on innovation and preparing for the jobs and economies of the future." I lol'd, this is the guy that was in charge of us just now getting anywhere from 50mbps - 100mbps kinda a 50/50 chance of getting one or the other great way to spend $53b just go buy some old copper and call it a day.

This June, I went to DC for an advocacy conference for high schoolers that was meant to help push the lawmakers to pass the new ESEA bill (no child left behind but less shit and fixed) that was supposed to be rewritten in 2004, and it was really an eye opener on how little most people there care about education.

Well, technically Education is a state issue, not a federal one. I'm sure at least a portion of the feeling you got that they didn't care was due to that...it's technically not their job to be involved...not that that stops them from getting involved in popular issues. The problem is when most people see a problem they complain to the federal government when they should be complaining to their state and local governments...and since locally nobody is held accountable they don't bother to actually do anything except make sure everyone gets paid (and even that they often fail to do). I haven't seen any numbers on this but I would bet the states with the most locally-involved citizens have the best school systems. Really if you're a US citizen you should get your friends and family to become more locally aware and active because that's where the actual change has a chance of happening.

First of all, I don't know how the education system in Australia works so I may not understand this quite well. It sounds cool, but I don't think kids at the age of 5 will understand the concept of computer coding. Programming at the age of 7, I'm not sure about that as well, it sounds cool, but I think it's too early. Kids also aren't good at problem solving at that age. And it's replacing history and geography? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well, technically Education is a state issue, not a federal one. I'm sure at least a portion of the feeling you got that they didn't care was due to that...it's technically not their job to be involved...not that that stops them from getting involved in popular issues. The problem is when most people see a problem they complain to the federal government when they should be complaining to their state and local governments...and since locally nobody is held accountable they don't bother to actually do anything except make sure everyone gets paid (and even that they often fail to do). I haven't seen any numbers on this but I would bet the states with the most locally-involved citizens have the best school systems. Really if you're a US citizen you should get your friends and family to become more locally aware and active because that's where the actual change has a chance of happening.

I know, and that's why this bill needs to be passed. It gives much of the power back to the states, so that the states don't have to jump through regulatory hoops just to get federal funding. The power to regulate the specifics of education largely lies in the states, but a major portion of money comes from the federal government.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.