Wasabi Mango revealed a 43" 4K monitor with HDMI 2.0 and Displayport 1.2

lel

so they're made from other people's scraps

They're A or A- panels where as the expensive monitors use A+. Doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference. The failure rate on these Korean monitors seems extremely low, same with issues with dead pixels. I had one from one of the other brands and the screen was great. The only "problem" is the cheap stand and it was very very slightly off center. My brother ended up fixing that when I gave him the monitor.

is that the monitor PCPer reviewed that has freesync?

edit: nevermind, that was this one http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Wasabi-Mango-UHD420-42-4K-FreeSync-and-HDMI-20-800

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Could have at least made it 5120x2160 @ 4:4:4, 60hz. DP1.2 allows it...   and it would have been something different, and VERY desirable.

Could have at least made it 5120x2160 @ 4:4:4, 60hz. DP1.2 allows it...   and it would have been something different, and VERY desirable.

Problem is except LG and Samsung's big 105" panel for their big tvs, no one is making a panel in that resolution......

21x9 1440p. Easier to drive in games, more immersive (such a buzzword, but true) and the horizontal screen real estate is more useful for multi-tasking imo.

True, 21:9 is easier to drive. Immersive sounds alluring, but I expect it would be highly disappointing when you run into games that don't support 21:9. Moreover, if you watch a lot of TV shows or youtube videos, you will almost always have black bars on the sides. In terms of real estate, 40" UHD has all the horizontal real estate of a 34" 3440x1440, and then some. Plus, you get a whole lot of extra vertical real estate. The Korean monitor will also quite a bit cheaper. The only thing that keeps me from buying it is the lack of G-sync support.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

Problem is except LG and Samsung's big 105" panel for their big tvs, no one is making a panel in that resolution......

Well, 21:9 monitors of 2560x1080 and 3440x1440 have really taken off.

3440x1440 being used almost as much as 4k resoltion according to steam survey. Which is even more amazing considering how little 3440x1440 monitors are actually available compared to 3840x2160 ones.

So, id say a 5120x2160 resoltion is just a matter of time for monitors. The only thing that is not obvious is whether we will get TV sized screens of it. (those 120k$ showroom TVs from LG and Samsung dont really count or mean anything)

lel

so they're made from other people's scraps

They're A or A- panels where as the expensive monitors use A+. Doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference. The failure rate on these Korean monitors seems extremely low, same with issues with dead pixels. I had one from one of the other brands and the screen was great. The only "problem" is the cheap stand and it was very very slightly off center. My brother ended up fixing that when I gave him the monitor.

For those who are interested, here is a post from Whirlpool explaining how these Korea companies got the panels and making these monitors...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2173172

True, 21:9 is easier to drive. Immersive sounds alluring, but I expect it would be highly disappointing when you run into games that don't support 21:9. Moreover, if you watch a lot of TV shows or youtube videos, you will almost always have black bars on the sides. In terms of real estate, 40" UHD has all the horizontal real estate of a 34" 3440x1440, and then some. Plus, you get a whole lot of extra vertical real estate. The Korean monitor will also quite a bit cheaper. The only thing that keeps me from buying it is the lack of G-sync support.

Some youtube content is actually in 21:9. Hodilton for example uploads videos in 21:9.

Some youtube content is actually in 21:9. Hodilton for example uploads videos in 21:9.

Yes, there's a small amount of 21:9 youtube content. However, vast majority of videos are uploaded in 16:9. So, unless your favorite youtube personalities are uploading in 21:9, you're likely to be disappointed. It is a shame though. I would love it if there were more 21:9 content.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }