Quick explanation of what the "K" in intel CPU's mean

DannyDem

I did some research and I pretty much know that it means the CPU is unlocked and easier to overclock but what exactly does that mean? 

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

unlocKed.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It has an Unlocked multiplier.

In simple, it means it is easy to OC and you'll get higher OCs with an unlocked CPU!

Read the question.

Don't be a camper!

one of us is wrong, either he is asking the meaning of K or wants to know what is overclocking.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

In the BIOS there is a setting you can change called the multiplier which can let you easily change the CPU frequency (the "GHz"). A K-series CPU lets you change this number, on non-K CPUs you are not allowed to change the multiplier, it is stuck at default. You can also overclock using what's called the base clock, or BCLK, which you can change on both K-series or non-K CPUs, but this does not allow you to overclock very much because you cannot change the base clock by more than a small amount before the overclock becomes unstable. Overclocking with the multiplier lets you achieve much higher overclocks.

In the BIOS there is a setting you can change called the multiplier which can let you easily change the CPU frequency (the "GHz"). A K-series CPU lets you change this number, on non-K CPUs you are not allowed to change the multiplier, it is stuck at default. You can also overclock using what's called the base clock, or BCLK, which you can change on both K-series or non-K CPUs, but this does not allow you to overclock very much because you cannot change the base clock by more than a small amount before the overclock becomes unstable. Overclocking with the multiplier lets you achieve much higher overclocks.

It is worth pointing out that a lot of system components and buses get their value based on the BCLK clock. For example your PCI lane speed is directly based on the BCLK so any changes from the default 100 will impact the lane speed and can cause your graphics card drivers to crash.

This is why its reccomended to not BCLK overclock.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

i see, so lets say I buy a 6700k but instead of having a z170 chipset mobo I have a B150 which doesnt let me use the multiplier... how much would I be able to oc it? Im not really into oc, just asking out of curiosity

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

"K" have an partially unlocked cpu ratio multiplier. Something like 64x or so.

"X" have a fully unlocked multiplier.

99.9% of chips wont see the "K" multiplier limit but it's still worth knowing that there is a limit even on "unlocked" chips

** might not be 64 but its less than 80 for shuree

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

i see, so lets say I buy a 6700k but instead of having a z170 chipset mobo I have a B150 which doesnt let me use the multiplier... how much would I be able to oc it? Im not really into oc, just asking out of curiosity

To overclock the 6700k you need the Z170 chipset.

CPU's: "K" = overclock

Motherboards: "Z" = overclock

At least for Intel's setup.

CPU/MotherBoard: "X"  is the "extreme" lineup which are also overclock ready.

There is no way to tell how it will overclock, it's a trial and error thing (silicon lottery)