Can someone explain Volts, Amps and Watt's like I'm five?

EIijah

Watched a few YouTube videos and I'm still not 100% I kinda get it :D Yes I'm 18, and passed physics in highschool.......

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

snip

Amperage (amps for short) is a measure of the AMOUNT of electricity used. Voltage (volts) measures the pressure, or FORCE, of electricity. The amps multiplied by the volts gives you the wattage (watts), a measure of the WORK that electricity does per second.

thanks google :)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Might be a little off, but here's my shot at OP's request of 'like he's 5', I'm really stretching this analogy. 

Anyway 

my-first-memory-tonka-trucks.jpg

Imagine this tonka dump truck is electric current. 

How much this truck is carrying is the amperage. 

How fast it's moving is the voltage. 

How fast * how heavy =  how much it work it's doing to accomplish that

(The voltage * the Amperage gives you wattage)

I know someone's gonna nitpick this strained analogy 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Amperage (amps for short) is a measure of the AMOUNT of electricity used. Voltage (volts) measures the pressure, or FORCE, of electricity. The amps multiplied by the volts gives you the wattage (watts), a measure of the WORK that electricity does per second.

couldnt have said it any better.

couldnt have said it any better.

I basically googled ''volt amp watt explained''

google gave me this exact sentence

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

So amps and volts is a little like the latency and frequency of RAM? I was thinking this but I wasn't sure

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

I basically googled ''volt amp watt explained''

google gave me this exact sentence

I forget that google just answers the question most of the time...

So amps and volts is a little like the latency and frequency of RAM? I was thinking this but I wasn't sure

uh. im not sure. its been 2 years since iv done any science. 3 for electricity. and forget phisics.

latency is the time it takes for one bit of information to go from point a to point b. electricity can'T go faster or slower though. its instantanious. latency is caused by the processing of the information.

frequency is determined by the resestance (I think, correct me if im wrong) wich affects amps and wattage

NO, amp(amperium), is the amount of charge or intensity passing through a cable in c/s (an electron is 1.6*10-19c), volt is the potential difference between two objects, so it's by simple, a way to know how much current it could provide, and watt is the unit of power (A/V)

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-to-kwh-calculator.htm

I use this site sometimes. It has a lot of different ways to convert from watts to amps to volts to joules......etc. It has formulas as well for converting

Now I'm just sitting here working out how much it costs me to run every appliance for an hour or a day....

It doesn't quite fit. I'd say the resistance (or impedance) would be the latency. Both make it work less efficiently and slower. You could think of amperage and voltage as DRAM speed and bandwidth.

NO, amp(amperium), is the amount of charge or intensity passing through a cable in c/s (an electron is 1.6*10-19c), volt is the potential difference between two objects, so it's by simple, a way to know how much current it could provide, and watt is the unit of power (A/V)

Could you have 10 amps, 100 volts and 20 amps, 50 volts powering the same thing? I ask this because once I said that my charger was slow because it was only 5 volts not 10, and someone said that's no why it's because it's only .5 amps not 1 and I didn't really think much of it at the time

Best analogy I've heard is the use of a waterfall. Voltage really comes from charge differences. That's like the height of a waterfall. Current (amps) is the amount of electrons flowing per time. That is like the volume of water flowing down the waterfall. Together the product allows you to determine the work done, or watts. More water but less height is analogous to less water but more height.

If this makes total sense to you, it's a mere coincidence since my dad explained it to me this way when I was 5 too xD.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Best analogy I've heard is the use of a waterfall. Voltage really comes from charge differences. That's like the height of a waterfall. Current (amps) is the amount of electrons flowing per time. That is like the volume of water flowing down the waterfall. Together the product allows you to determine the work done, or watts. More water but less height is analogous to less water but more height.

If this makes total sense to you, it's a mere coincidence since my dad explained it to me this way when I was 5 too xD.

That does make good sense :D

Now I'm just sitting here working out how much it costs me to run every appliance for an hour or a day....

hahaha if thats the case now. perhaps you should get a kill-a-watt meter. thats what I have my desktop and other pc related items on the power strip hooked up to. Current idles around 160-180 and load runs 210-225 :) it really is handy though

Might be a little off, but here's my shot at OP's request of 'like he's 5', I'm really stretching this analogy. 

Anyway 

That was actually very good, thanks :D

That does make good sense :D

Well it's the reason why lmgtfy links on this forum are banned. Honestly 80% of the questions here can be answered with google...Even quicker tbh. Waiting for a reply vs....2 second search result hmmmm....Calling out the people above who googled and copied the answer here.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Electricity = electrons = water, cable = pipe.

Amperage = how much water is going through the pipe at any given time.

Voltage = how much pressure the water is going through the pipe at. It affects how far the water would fly if the pipe were opened at the end. (which is why electricity at higher voltages can jump farther between source and ground). also affects how far the water can travel before slowing down.
Wattage = how much moving power the water has, like moving something out of the way. Little bit of water at high pressure, not gonna do it. Huge amounts of water at low pressure, not gonna do it. LOADS OF BOTH - now we're talkin'.

sidenote - impedance/resistance = how much stopping power an obstacle has. The more it has, the more power you need to push the thing out of the way.

I hate having to make analogies like this because water and electricity do not behave in the same way at all, but that's the best I can come up with at the moment. for instance, electricity moves at the same speed regardless of voltage, so voltage can't be speed. and you can have enough wattage to drive something, but not have enough volts or amps to do the thing. Which is why it can't really be moving power.

sigh...

Well it's the reason why lmgtfy links on this forum are banned. Honestly 80% of the questions here can be answered with google...Even quicker tbh. Waiting for a reply vs....2 second search result hmmmm....Calling out the people above who googled and copied the answer here.

Well yes googling would have given me an answer quicker it's also a bit more annoying when I have follow up questions (and the people who googled the original question don't have an answer to either) so I prefer to ask some stuff like this on here

Anyway 

lol - Brilliant

Curious...Was a Dumptruck your first thought? Or did other thoughts come to mind :) that you discarded?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

lol - Brilliant

Curious...Was a Dumptruck your first thought? Or did other thoughts come to mind :) that you discarded?

I thought "toy cars" like hot wheels or something but a tonka truck quickly replaced that 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I thought "toy cars" like hot wheels or something but a tonka truck quickly replaced that 

Yeah hot wheels are more of a 10 year old thing ;)

Could you have 10 amps, 100 volts and 20 amps, 50 volts powering the same thing? I ask this because once I said that my charger was slow because it was only 5 volts not 10, and someone said that's no why it's because it's only .5 amps not 1 and I didn't really think much of it at the time

You can have that.  10 amps at 100 volts and 20 amps at 50 volts are both 1000 watts.

With your charger being slow, it's because your phone can only charge at 5volts(usb).  0.5 amp charger is 2.5 watts of power going into your phone.  1amp charger is 5 watts going into your phone.  Because the charging voltage stays the same, a higher amp rating, and therefore more watts of power means a faster charging phone.

(yes I know a phone doesn't actually charge at 5v but it takes a usb input at 5v so for this argument it's fine)

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers