3D-printed TSA master keys put travellers' luggage at risk

CaptainGazzz

The Transportation Security Administration, created following the 9/11 attacks to ensure the safety of travellers into and around the US, requires any lock on bags to be branded as “travel sentry approved”, to enable them to carry out searches without having to break the lock or bag.

The master keys for those locks are kept under close guard – but a photograph of seven of them accompanied a Washington Post article about the TSA published in November 2014. It took almost a year for anyone to notice, but once they did, lock pickers moved fast to take advantage of the breach. The Washington Post took the picture down in August, but it was too late.

While copying a key from a photograph remains tricky, one security researcher, going by “Xyl2k” has lowered the barrier to entry considerably. They posted the necessary files to 3D print all seven master keys on code-sharing site Github – and others who have printed them off confirm they work.

Proof:

https://twitter.com/bernard/status/641662069427847168

I don't really see how this can be a problem, if someone 'acquires' your luggage, they can just saw off the lock and take everything inside. These master keys are only good for hiding the fact that the luggage has been tampered with, since you can't see that it has been opened.

Do note that this only works with 'Travel sentry approved locks'. The master keys might have leaked this way, but criminals could have easily gotten these keys another way. 3D printing can be abused just like any technology, so this doesn't particularly surprise me. 

Source: link

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

Oh well, true.

When I went to Australia they broke my suitcase just to see what's inside.. morons

nothing will be safe against 3D printing, I see the deep web easily having massive collections of unique items there for download.

Yet another reason to take a passenger birth on a shipping vessel instead of flying.

Although I guess it only works for vacation travel lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Solution: Use a combination lock, or maybe multiple locks.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well, it's quicker for them to get inside instead of having to break it open. oh well...

Bolt cutters my friend, they are much faster than having to find the right key and then opening the lock.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

I hate the TSA ime, they're mostly assholes and everytime I go through airport security, it's anxiety level OVER 9000!, No but seriously, I do get anxious with them, they're kinda sketch.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

The way suitcases get thrown around by airport staff I wouldn't put anything valuable in there anyway. If you don't want it broken or stolen, put it in hand luggage.

proof:

https://twitter.com/bernard/status/641662069427847168

I don't really see how this can be a problem, if someone 'acquires' your luggage, they can just saw off the lock and take everything inside. These master keys are only good for hiding the fact that the luggage has been tampered with, since you can't see that it has been opened.

Do note that this only works with 'Travel sentry approved locks'. The master keys might have leaked this way, but criminals could have easily gotten these keys another way. 3D printing can be abused just like any technology, so this doesn't particularly surprise me. 

source: link

Shit...thanks a lot man for making this public...the TSA's gonna see this now damn.

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Dammnit! my plan has been foiled..

Looks like we're in the same boat man :(

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

How many goods were stolen misplaced by TSA agents, vs how much were taken by thieves?

And since nobody linked the damn github, here it is: https://github.com/Xyl2k/TSA-Travel-Sentry-master-keys

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Solution: Use a combination lock, or maybe multiple locks.

TSA will cut your locks off and really mess your stuff up if they can't open it with their master keys.

TSA will cut your locks off and really mess your stuff up if they can't open it with their master keys.

TSA can fuck off and deal with it cause its my shit lol

though not like I plan to fly anywhere ever (except maybe japan if I ever feel like going there...), and if I did, I'd bring a small enough amount of shit that I can take it all with me on the plane so I don't have to worry about bullshit lost luggage and shit like that.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

When they couldn't open my luggage, they just called me back for the key.

You can literally just push a pen into the crease.

Swiss Gear bags and cases are not so easily undone. Neither are TUMI.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

When they couldn't open my luggage, they just called me back for the key.

Then you are lucky, I and friends have simply gotten to our destination and found our luggage without locks, and half of our shit gone or broken.

TSA can fuck off and deal with it cause its my shit lol

though not like I plan to fly anywhere ever (except maybe japan if I ever feel like going there...), and if I did, I'd bring a small enough amount of shit that I can take it all with me on the plane so I don't have to worry about bullshit lost luggage and shit like that.

if a TSA agent does that to my shit i hope they get fired.

if a TSA agent does that to my shit i hope they get fired.

Get fired?  That is their actual job.  To ensure that nothing is in your luggage.  They are entirely worthless and utterly pointless.  But they make someone money and made people feel like flying was safe again (at least at first).  Last time I went flying, TSA agents were walking around the terminal, sticking chem test strips in people's drinks.  One dude was pissed cause he just bought it, in the terminal, and they still wanted to test it.  But they weren't going to buy replacement drinks.  Dude was livid, but they told him it was submit to the test, throw away the drink, or get arrested for interfering and generic terrorism bullshit.  Dude just threw the drink away, told the lady she was a cunt and should be ashamed of being alive (a bit harsh honestly), and went to wait for his flight.  She got no sympathy from anyone around, and pretty much was just getting the stink eye from everyone.

I hate the TSA, but they have the final say on whether you get to fly, and you will play by their rules or they will fuck you over hardcore. 

I hate the TSA, but they have the final say on whether you get to fly, and you will play by their rules or they will fuck you over hardcore. 

So they going to break my locks and search my shit after they do it once at the gates?

Search at gates when i looking = ok

break locks and search somewhere without me = bad

So they going to break my locks and search my shit after they do it once at the gates?

Search at gates when i looking = ok

break locks and search somewhere without me = bad

They will only break your locks if you don't have the TSA master key locks.  And they only search your checked luggage, not carry-on (which gets scanned when you go through security).  It was really bad in mid '00s.  They are much better now since they just have the big scanners, but I did a lot of flying many years ago and I always had a little piece of paper in my checked luggage saying it had been checked, and everything inside was always a mess.  The TSA needs to be scrapped entirely.

They will only break your locks if you don't have the TSA master key locks.  And they only search your checked luggage, not carry-on (which gets scanned when you go through security).  It was really bad in mid '00s.  They are much better now since they just have the big scanners, but I did a lot of flying many years ago and I always had a little piece of paper in my checked luggage saying it had been checked, and everything inside was always a mess.  The TSA needs to be scrapped entirely.

im saying its its one thing to check it while im present but another to hide it and fuck with my stuff.

thats when they should be fired, as they already check it once.

im saying its its one thing to check it while im present but another to hide it and fuck with my stuff.

thats when they should be fired, as they already check it once.

They aren't hiding anything.  You agree to it when you buy the ticket. 

They aren't hiding anything.  You agree to it when you buy the ticket. 

touche.

doesn't make it right.

touche.

doesn't make it right.

I completely agree that it is bad, it is simply the price we pay for air travel today.  The TSA has complete authority to do what they want in the moment.  And while you may be in the right, that won't stop them from causing you to miss your flight, or ruin your trip for you.  And the politicians have no incentive to get rid of the TSA because they don't want to look weak on the evil terrorism, or they are making money off of it.  There simply aren't enough problems or public outcry for it to be worth it to the people in charge to change anything.