School took my phone... AFTER giving me permission to use it.

Jack.EXE

So, I was sent home sick, but I dont drive quite yet, so I had to call my dad.

I asked "Can I go call my dad?"

the office told me that I could, and I went to go call him.

I return to the office only to have my phone taken and now they want $10 to give it back.

I don't have $10, and I'm pretty sure this is illegal.

Help?

I return to the office only to have my phone taken and now they want $10 to give it back.

Help?

That's basically extortion...

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Tell your parents, they can't do that if they gave you permission lol...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Where in any of that does it say "yes go and use a not allowed (presumably) mobile"?

Oh and change the misleading title with what you wrote they DID NOT give you permission to use your phone.

They gave you permission to call home presumably from some landline or other.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

they cant charge you for it... especially since it doesn't cost them anything to take it away. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

How the fuck does that work? They legally can't charge you for your phone, on top of the fact that they gave you permission. Threaten to sue, tell your parents, sue them

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Threaten to sue them for petty theft and or extortion.

Always worked for me when they threatened me with "if we catch you using your headphones again, you won't get them back"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

WAT?

Money to get your phone back? What are they high or something. Get your parents in and they will give it back for sure. Pretty sure that's some illegal shenanigans that they are asking you to pay.

ALSo you're 18, considered an adult. So legally they cant take your phone from you (at least I think, might want to check that)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Let me guess, they expected you to use the school phone, not your mobile. As you're in school grounds and depending on school rules, they are entitled to take it from you with good reason, but charging you to have it back is excessive and wrong. Don't threaten to sue, that's far too large an overreaction and only adds to the excessively loose term of suing someone. Instead, explain to them the situation and why you need it back (blag it a bit, exaggerate and make up some stuff) and if they don't, explain to them that the extortion of personal property with no motive is illegal. If they fail to give it back, just ask to use the school phone, call your parents and get them to kick up a fuss, Angry parents always make a school jump.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I'd lay money on there being a student handbook or code of conduct or some set of rules that you or your parent signed at the beginning of the year explaining that policy, so all these people calling for a lawsuit and saying "they can't do that!" are just plain wrong. And when they said you could call your dad, you KNOW they meant on the landline in the office. Don't act like that's not the case

Okay, so I did some digging...

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.31.htm

This violates the extorsion laws in texas.
Most notably, take a look at 2B

2.  "Deprive" means:

A.  to withhold property from the owner permanently or for so extended a period of time that a major portion of the value or enjoyment of the property is lost to the owner;

B. to restore property only upon payment of reward or other compensation;  or

C.  to dispose of property in a manner that makes recovery of the property by the owner unlikely.

So yeah. This is illegal.

Too bad you can't record them trying to extort you. Borrow someone elses phone and do it maybe? Then call the police and point this out.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Help?

that's not allowed...

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

there are several court rulings that place students under a type of guardianship of the school. This is why lockers can be searched without a warrant, detentions can be given, etc. Try reading the student handbook

The papers you sign at the beginning of the year essentially deprive you of all your rights one way or another. Typical school BS

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

The papers you sign at the beginning of the year essentially deprive you of all your rights one way or another. Typical school BS

That "typical school BS" is what protects school districts from BS lawsuits, preserving the budget for things like teacher salaries and textbooks and electricity.

Help?

That is extortion and they will have to give it back if they initially gave you the permission to use it.  Your father should whup their asses back to the stone age!  My school is super ultra strict so I rarely use my phone but it's a boarding school so idk

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Think of it this way...those 10 dollars will go into the principals pocket for his lunch later :D

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

That is extortion and they will have to give it back if they initially gave you the permission to use it.  Your father should whup their asses back to the stone age!  My school is super ultra strict so I rarely use my phone but it's a boarding school so idk

Again, I'd bet all the money in my checking account against a box of donuts that he or his parents signed a form after being presented with a packet of school rules and protocols, essentially a ToS.

Think of it this way...those 10 dollars will go into the principals pocket for his lunch later :D

More like go into a student activity fund. That $10 will buy the paint for the homecoming banners.

School's are not allowed to place policies that contradict the legal system.  Therefore, you can take it to a small claims court if allowed by your parents.  Also, when a school says you can call home they mean on the school phone not your cell.  Only colleges differ on the latter.

This is the United States, not Norway. Check my previous post in this topic about guardianship

If you guys can't tell, I'm 100% on the side of school here. My mother is a public school teacher, my father was a public school teacher for a bit, I worked for a public school before I took a job at a private school. It's a different world altogether on the other side of the fence.