PCPer AMD R9 Nano review

zMeul

Seemed like a good review to me? He had some good things to say about the card but issues he had were coil whine and cost. Otherwise a positive review. I don't see any need for the "Oh dear!" But then I'm never surprised how you paint anything AMD does in a negative light, not that there perfect at all, but if you think that was a negative review than I don't know what you watched. 

"overall i think its a very very good product, that will address the needs of a small userbase" - end of the PCper review

basically every review is positive aside from unfortunate coil whine. zMeul (along with many on this very green LTT forum) just has a massive hate boner for AMD and will go out of his way to try to take the "glass half empty" view on any AMD related news.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

3) is a niche but solid product

"The R9 Nano is an impressive performer in almost every way" "You shouldnt be picking this if you have room for a 10" card" "R9 nano vs DC Mini 970, you're looking at a 15-30 percent sometimes 40 percent faster than the highest performance card in its form factor" "in much the same way intel charges a premium for an ultrabook processor they are charging more for the form factor"

The R9 FuryX is like the same size, is watercooled, is better performing and is cheaper. Why is this a card? 

This is fucking mind boggling. How are people like AnandTech still praising Maxwell's efficiency when the way they achieved it was by cutting out everything that is now giving them crap performance in Dx 12?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Ok im scratching my head on this one the Fury, FuryX and Fury Nano all are around the same performance with the Nano being the lowest performer but the Fury and FuryX literally cost the same while the Nano costs more wtf? why do all these cards even exist? Feels like these are the same cards in terms of performance anyway.

Would appear to be aimed purely at the SFF market. Since its only competition in that space is the 970ITX and its own 380 ITX. Which puts as the most powerful SFF card we've seen to date, question is, is there enough money in the SFF space to warrant a card like this. I don't think its an overly smart move, had the price been lower maybe around the Fury it would be little more appealing to the general consumer but niche card for a niche market. Time will tell if there is a market for this card at its current price. As PCper put it, if you've got an ATX or mATX case this card isn't for you at all. 

Concerns are, is the coil whine going to be prevalent on lots of cards and will this appeal enough to SFF market at its current price.  

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

The R9 FuryX is like the same size, is watercooled, is better performing and is cheaper. Why is this a card? 

it also has a "massive" 120mm RAD/FAN and accompanying piping...if you cant see the form factor difference then you fail to see the whole point.

Again as pcper put it..if you have an ATX or mATX case this card just straight up isnt for you. to assume you're looking at this card is to assume you cannot fit an extra 120mm rad/fan and pipes.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

"overall i think its a very very good product, that will address the needs of a small userbase" - end of the PCper review

basically every review is positive aside from unfortunate coil whine. zMeul (along with many on this very green LTT forum) just has a massive hate boner for AMD and will go out of his way to try to take the "glass half empty" view on any AMD related news.

you're are quite wrong mate, I have no love for nVidia; just a lot of things against AMD 

Can I like get some examples ? like those so small cases only this would fit in ?

And what do you mean by rekt ?

Lian Li Q33 like Ryan said in the review. Good luck fitting a Fury X in there.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

you're are quite wrong mate, I have no love for nVidia; just a lot of things against AMD 

Yes, even things that aren't facts.

" just has a massive hate boner for AMD"

" just a lot of things against AMD "

i...i...think that's exactly what i said....again, completely missing core concepts. This must be a running theme.

The Fury X is 2 inches longer before you even count the tubes sticking out from the front.

There are many slim cases that use pcie risers to fit a regular size gpu in them

Sure some of them have space for fan mount but there is no way to route the tubing

asrock m8, silverstone rvz01/02, lian li q19 etc.

haven't used these cases myself so I could be wrong.

I meant there isn't many flagship gpu being made this small. In those itx cases which the length of gpu is limited, all you can fit are lower end gpus

Even if the nano throttles a bit, it may still perform better than a low-mid range card

With the silverstone case it looks like you can route the tubing and mount the radiator. The Asrock case you can fit a 780Ti and R9 290X but I can't see a Fury X fitting in. The Lian Li case it look like you can mount the radition above the GPU but not sure.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The main issue that it's $650. The Fury X should cost more to manufacture because of the water cooling, right? Yeah, it's the best performing small form factor card but still most of the mini ITX cases can fit bigger cards. Also, reviews report an average temperature of 75 degrees and in a small mini-ITX case that thing will surely run hotter or throttle a lot. The lack of HDMi 2.0 will also be a deal breaker for some people.

It's still pretty amazing that they managed to drop the TDP by 100W. Overall, the card is not that bad, but at that price point it's even more niche than the Fury X.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Would appear to be aimed purely at the SFF market. Since its only competition in that space is the 970ITX and its own 380 ITX. Which puts as the most powerful SFF card we've seen to date, question is, is there enough money in the SFF space to warrant a card like this. I don't think its an overly smart move, had the price been lower maybe around the Fury it would be little more appealing to the general consumer but niche card for a niche market. Time will tell if there is a market for this card at its current price. As PCper put it, if you've got an ATX or mATX case this card isn't for you at all. 

Concerns are, is the coil whine going to be prevalent on lots of cards and will this appeal enough to SFF market at its current price.  

the 970 launched with some of the worst coil whine heard in a long time, but it didn't stop sales. besides, coil whine goes away after a few weeks according to a lot of 970 owners.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Can I like get some examples ? like those so small cases only this would fit in ?

And what do you mean by rekt ?

This case for instance:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q21/

But in ITX case land, we've seen them getting bigger to accommodate larger GPU's. Cards like this, makes smaller cases possible and along with the Fury X (and possibly Greenland), we should see smaller cards and smaller cases.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Honestly, it's an impressive card considering the performance packed into such a small form factor, with air cooling.

The coil whine is horrible though, it's something that hopefully they manage to fix.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

the 970 launched with some of the worst coil whine heard in a long time, but it didn't stop sales. besides, coil whine goes away after a few weeks according to a lot of 970 owners.

My first 290x also whined when I got it, but no longer does so there maybe alot of truth in that. How ever first impression is everything, people are alot less likely to give AMD a free pass over something like coil whine due to alot of negativity that surrounds them for past issues that have long since been addressed. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

" just has a massive hate boner for AMD"

" just a lot of things against AMD "

i...i...think that's exactly what i said....again, completely missing core concepts. This must be a running theme.

yeah, except one caveat, I'm not in anyone's team - except Intel's  ^_^

yet .. you marked me a team green - that's a mistake I'm not willing to ignore

yes, I have a very huge boner for AMD and I never hidden it

This case for instance:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q21/

But in ITX case land, we've seen them getting bigger to accommodate larger GPU's. Cards like this, makes smaller cases possible and along with the Fury X (and possibly Greenland), we should see smaller cards and smaller cases.

True.

But like some ITX cases support a Fury X and from my POV if I was making an ITX build I would go with a case that can fit a Fury X and use a Fury X.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

True.

But like some ITX cases support a Fury X and from my POV if I was making an ITX build I would go with a case that can fit a Fury X and use a Fury X.

I would too, but the Nano still offers some build possibilities nothing else on the market is capable of.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

My first 290x also whined when I got it, but no longer does so there maybe alot of truth in that. How ever first impression is everything, people are alot less likely to give AMD a free pass over something like coil whine due to alot of negativity that surrounds them for past issues that have long since been addressed. 

Whats fun is the massive bashing AMD will get for it when this generation of 970s and 980s have had massive massive issues with it. Lets just look on the first page of googling "coil whine"

gallery_6624_1762_245325.jpg

Oh look its litterally all 970/980 just with a generic "coil whine" search. Does this mean anything? not really...coil whine is bad regardless of color but i just find it funny that amd gets bashed for it so openly when its a massive issues with many maxwell cards (including my own 980 ti  :( )

R9-NANO-2-82.jpg

I told you it will be a screamer.

Whats up with all these conflicting graphs? 

77402.png

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

-snip-

I'll trust an anandtech graph years before i'll trust whatever that non-identifiable graph is.

someone is faking the results then... or the cards are not created equal.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

And load noise can mean normal load (e.g. gaming scenario) or full load (100% usage and fan speed)

it was not specified in those graphs...

Looks very good. It seems like people don't understand that this is a card made for tiny builds. There are no other cards at this form factor, that can handle this, especially in DX12. So much fanboy in here, damn. This is a niche market product. Treat it for what it is.

Only issue is that they still haven't dealt with capacitor buzz. Either they don't know how or they are skimping out. Could be an issue with HBM.

650 dollars for such a card is little bit too much....

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan