PCPer AMD R9 Nano review

zMeul

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

From EuroGamer

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Performance of Fury for 100€ more! GG!

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

Disgusting.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Summing up all reviews:

hqdefault.jpg(

(just replace the R7 240 with the Nano on the pic :D )

It will probably sell even worse than the Fury X. There's no reason getting the Nano unless somebody wants to build the smallest gaming PC or something like that and it will probably throttle in mini ITX cases.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Looks very good. It seems like people don't understand that this is a card made for tiny builds. There are no other cards at this form factor, that can handle this, especially in DX12. So much fanboy in here, damn. This is a niche market product. Treat it for what it is.

Only issue is that they still haven't dealt with capacitor buzz. Either they don't know how or they are skimping out. Could be an issue with HBM.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Looks very good. It seems like people don't understand that this is a card made for tiny builds. There are no other cards at this form factor, that can handle this, especially in DX12. So much fanboy in here, damn. This is a niche market product. Treat it for what it is.

Only issue is that they still haven't dealt with capacitor buzz. Either they don't know how or they are skimping out. Could be an issue with HBM.

Why not get Fury X ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Gotta love the glass is half empty opinions in response to this. The card pretty much performs how everyone expected it to, at the smallest size ever for a flagship type card with a 175TDP. Too bad there was coil whine, although that tends to go away after a few weeks, just like the 970 and 980 coil whine. 

Seems like you can jack the power limit beyond the 225watt spec of a single 8-pin pci-e setup, which is interesting. also 10-20% faster than an R9 290, also about what everyone expected.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

so it thermal throttles - the rumors were true  :lol:

Of course it does, it would be absolutely stupid to think it wouldn't throttle to maintain a 175watt power target when its a full fat Fiji chip. It has the potential to boost to 1Ghz not maintain it indefinitely.

Guess it depends on your baring, but it seems to me to be a very innovative card. Nothing like it on the market. Fast, small and low TDP

Cons would be no HDMI 2.0 and high cost. 

But to think a 4000k shader card would hold a 1GHz clock with the tiny power target and cooler is dumb. And making that an issue is like saying the sky is blue...

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I think amd isnt going to be selling many of these until they adjust that price.

Why not get Fury X ?

I personally would, but that card is larger, and requires a big fan plus space for the radiator. Not all tiny cases can handle that. This card is for nano cases (get it?) :D

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Hexus: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/86042-amd-radeon-r9-nano/

That potential does arrive with a caveat, however, as the card fails to reach its prescribed 1,000MHz core clock in any game. Rather, it opportunistically frequency and voltage throttles to maintain a circa-175W TDP, with the exact speed dependent on game. This is why it's markedly slower than the full-on Fury X.

I personally would, but that card is larger, and requires a big fan plus space for the radiator. Not all tiny cases can handle that. This card is for nano cases (get it?) :D

Yeah, but all nano cases at least have a spot for a 120mm fan and you can just place the radiator there and like with some ghetto you would be able to fit a Fury X.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Why not get Fury X ?

Because it's for real small form factor builds...not those ridiculous "claims to be itx case but actually larger than many matx" cases

In those, fitting in a radiator may not be possible

Notice that, even if the card throttles a bit, it still rekt all other cards in the same league

Because it's for real small form factor builds...not those ridiculous "claims to be itx case but actually larger than many matx" cases

In those, fitting in a radiator may not be possible

Notice that, even if the card throttles a bit, it still rekt all other cards in the same league

Can I like get some examples ? like those so small cases only this would fit in ?

And what do you mean by rekt ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

R9-NANO-2-82.jpg

I told you it will be a screamer.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

oh dear!

no wonder AMD is fishing for "fair" reviews

Seemed like a good review to me? He had some good things to say about the card but issues he had were coil whine and cost. Otherwise a positive review. I don't see any need for the "Oh dear!" But then I'm never surprised how you paint anything AMD does in a negative light, not that there perfect at all, but if you think that was a negative review than I don't know what you watched. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Ok im scratching my head on this one the Fury, FuryX and Fury Nano all are around the same performance with the Nano being the lowest performer but the Fury and FuryX literally cost the same while the Nano costs more wtf? why do all these cards even exist? Feels like these are the same cards in terms of performance :S

Can I like get some examples ? like those so small cases only this would fit in ?

And what do you mean by rekt ?

There are many slim cases that use pcie risers to fit a regular size gpu in them

Sure some of them have space for fan mount but there is no way to route the tubing

asrock m8, silverstone rvz01/02, lian li q19 etc.

haven't used these cases myself so I could be wrong.

I meant there isn't many flagship gpu being made this small. In those itx cases which the length of gpu is limited, all you can fit are lower end gpus

Even if the nano throttles a bit, it may still perform better than a low-mid range card

1) Performs roughly how we suspected it would

2) mangles any other card in its size bracket performance wise

3) is a niche but solid product

"The R9 Nano is an impressive performer in almost every way" "You shouldnt be picking this if you have room for a 10" card" "R9 nano vs DC Mini 970, you're looking at a 15-30 percent sometimes 40 percent faster than the highest performance card in its form factor" "in much the same way intel charges a premium for an ultrabook processor they are charging more for the form factor" - various quotes from pcper review

LTT FORUM USER " LOLOL, GET REKKED, TOTS THROTTLES BRAH, OMG CALLED IT BRAH, JUST BUY A 980 LOLOLOL, I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THE CORE CONCEPT OF THIS CARD"

ah yes....this is the LTT forum i remember :)

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015