Laser pointer carjacking tool of the future

jos
Google, Uber and even Apple’s potential self-driving car can all be foiled by little more than a homebrew laser pointer thanks to their Lidar sensor systems.

Jonathan Petit, principal scientist at software security company Security Innovation, has unearthed a gaping security vulnerability in Lidar sensors – essentially the eyes of any self-driving car. 

low-power laser and pulse generator can fool a car into believing that other cars and pedestrians are around it.

The vulnerability means that self-driving cars could be halted in the middle of the road when they believe another car or person has appeared in view suddenly.

This is the first true setback i can see for self driving car...What do you guys think, for or not for self driving car???

Well they know now so it will be fixed.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just think of some kid doing this on a highway as a "prank" or car jackers using this on a mostly deserted road :S

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

It won't run over anyone so...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Guess even if selfdriving cars take over they will always need to have a human component :( A shame really since I was hoping to have a sleeping pod.

Well they know now so it will be fixed.

More like they know now and will be made illegal. Idk of any way to fix it but I'm sure it would be much easier to make disrupting self driving anything illegal. 

It won't run over anyone so...

true, but with this, you could make it slam on its breaks on the freeway. imagine getting rear ended at 80mph.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

As an owner of green laser pointer a two red ones i have a grin on my face just imagining how pissed off some "travelers" could get :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just think of some kid doing this on a highway as a "prank" or car jackers using this on a mostly deserted road :S

how do you carjack a car that has no steering wheel?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

how do you carjack a car that has no steering wheel?

>point gun at occupants

>get in car

>tell car where to go

OR

>point gun at occupants

>robberman2 comes in with a toe truck and takes car and robberman1 gets in with robberman2

>strip car for parts

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

>point gun at occupants

>get in car

>tell car where to go

OR

>point gun at occupants

>robberman2 comes in with a toe truck and takes car and robberman1 gets in with robberman2

>strip car for parts

how you going to hide a car thats always connected to the internet?

There's always a way :)

>point gun at occupants

>get in car

>tell car where to go

OR

>point gun at occupants

>strip car for parts

you can't tell it to go somewhere because it'll be traceable. if you somehow were able to completely disable all the electronics in the car then you might be able to tow it undetected

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

you can't tell it to go somewhere because it'll be traceable. if you somehow were able to completely disable all the electronics in the car then you might be able to tow it undetected

Yeah it'll be traceable. I'm not saying they'll tell it to go to their house and they'll use as their own car, but they could drive it a town over, disable it's tracking or w.e. and then tow it to a chopshop.

emp plus tow truck = free car

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Probably not that hard to fix. Well, hard, but not as hard as the challenges they've faced already.

TBH if self-driving cars are to become ubiquitous their sensors should all be passive anyway. Otherwise this sort of interference will be a big problem. Pretty sure Google's engineers already know that though. I did, anyway.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Been saying this for a while, self driving cars will be incredibly easy to tamper with. Jamming and spoofing signals could end in a disaster after wide adoption.

Probably not that hard to fix. Well, hard, but not as hard as the challenges they've faced already.

TBH if self-driving cars are to become ubiquitous their sensors should all be passive anyway. Otherwise this sort of interference will be a big problem. Pretty sure Google's engineers already know that though. I did, anyway.

The only technology that accurately give distance speed extra needed for an autonomous car is a LIDAR..

principe_lidar_nl.png

This is how LIDAR work. so basically the input is a varying laser.. There cant be any input but varying Laser as input.. If you want to change that you need to change fundamental nature of physics. They may come up with something in time..But not an easy fix. They will be knowing it as that might be how they beta tested many features... As of now there are no passive methods that give accuracy and reliability...

This means a huge delay in the mainstream-ness of self driving cars.

YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOPEE

sorry, but I just love driving too much lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I think once self driving cars will be mainstream they will have more then just lidar for navigation, in doing so will have error correction

Its all about those volumetric clouds

You know, in fairness, pointing a laser at the face of a human driving a car is probably pretty effective at causing crashes too.

Disconnect the ethernet cable :x

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440