[Build Log] MODZERO FORTY - HEXGEAR R40 (Finished 3rd Dec)

MODZERO

3OCCGRs.jpg

Hey Guys, I'm back with another slice of build log goodness.  This time thanks to sponsorship from HEX GEAR and E22 I'm going to be building in the all new HEX GEAR R40. I'm over the moon to have been given the opportunity and can't wait to get stuck in. 

So HEX GEAR provided me with the 'Black R40 Premium Micro ATX case' and a 'R40 accent pack' (reserve in black).

E22 sent me a world of modding supply goodies which I'll post once the photos are done. 

Currently all hardware is being provided by me with 99% of the stuff all bought and ready to go. These are the current planned specs. Although these may change as the build progresses. 

SPECS:

• Intel Core i7-2600K
  • Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W
  • R40 Premium Micro ATX case - Reverse Black on Black!
  • ASUS ROG Maximus IV GENE-Z68 MATX
  • KLEVV Genuine 2400mhz 16GB (4 x 4GB)
  • 1 x Asus GeForce GTX 980 DirectCU II OC Strix 

WC:

• EK Water Blocks EK-DDC 3.2 PWM
  • EK Water Blocks EK-DDC Heatsink Housing - Black
  • EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy - Nickel
  • EK Water Blocks EK-FC980 GTX Strix - Nickel
  • EK Water Blocks EK-FC980 GTX Strix Backplate - Black
  • EK Water Blocks EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel - Plexi
  • DarkSide - Dual LP240 Extra Slim Radiator 
  • DarkSide - Dual LP360 Extra Slim Radiator 
  • Bitspower DDC Top - POM Version
  • Bitspower Premium G1/4" Black Sparkle High Flow 1/2" Compression x12
  • Bitspower BP-BS30R G1/4" Black Sparkle Rotary 30-Degree IG1/4" Extender 
  • Bitspower G 1/4" Black Sparkle Rotary 45 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter x6
  • Bitspower G 1/4" Black Sparkle Rotary 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter x4
  • Aqua Computer Aquatube Delrin Reservoir - black
  • Tygon R6016 Neoprene (1/2 - 3/4) Tubing
  • Mayhems X1 - Dark Red 1ltr 

MISC:

• DarkSide - CONNECT Dimmable Rigid LED Strip White - 12" (30cm) x2
  • BitFenix Spectre PRO 120mm Fan - All Black x7

-----------------------------

The HEXGEAR R40 case.

zAIUuXq.jpg

The case is shipped flat packed requiring full assembly. The parts are very well packed with each component wrapped separately and all nuts/bolts bagged and labeled. The instructions are very clear making the build process a breeze and a pleasure.

W1tXtE6.jpg

The design is well engineered and once assembled it's a unit! very solid! It's packs some weight which really adds to that premium fit and finish. The Hexgear guys should be really proud of themselves, their first case on the market and it's a goody. :rock:

JU2QN6Y.jpg

The 'Accent Packs' are simple to swap out and they are all you need if you want to flip the orientation. The case I went with ships with white front/rear accent panels and I opted for the black reverse pack. I built the case stock, then swapped them out. 

yGuiGsf.jpg

The case sits on two pieces of clear acrylic which make it appear as though it's floating (in the right light). You can also get rubber feet if that's more your thing.  I'm hoping to have some lights escape the bottom of the case to amplify that look of levitation. 

YI5mlEy.jpg
zFxWQ83.jpg

I enjoyed how all the bolts are hex and it came with the tools you'll need. The instructions invite you to send in photos of your build to add to the gallery on their site, it's a nice touch. The little details really show off how much time and effort has been put into the design. 

hhHqvJQ.jpg
9NpqaH1.jpg

I didn't get into the internals as I plan to touch on that as the build progresses. Plenty more photos over on the Imgur album if you want to check them out. Next update I'll show the parts E22 sent over. I don't think this will take me too long to complete. I'm busting to get my teeth into it so expect updates to come thick and fast. 

Thanks for checking it out. Let me know what you think. 

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

screw that sli 980, get a single 980ti.

also why a i7 2600k? Its still pretty good but it is showing its age in some recent games like my old i5 760

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

also why a i7 2600k? Its still pretty good but it is showing its age in some recent games like my old i5 760

Its simply a case of using the hardware I already own. I love to build PCs, but when it comes to personal use builds I'm not always in a position to buy new hardware. The 2600K is still a great CPU. I already own the GTX980's both bought for less than the price of a single 980Ti.

Oooh, looks good, subbed :D

Thanks fella.

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

980 SLI walks all over a 980 ti lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'll follow along, looks interesting... though that case seems pretty expensive IMHO. 

3OCCGRs.jpg

UPDATE 1

E22 have supplied me with all the modding supplies I need to make new cables for the Silverstone ST1000 along with the BitFenix Spectre Pro fans and some other goodies. 

xzlxgnF.jpg

Fingers crossed I'll start the cables later in the week. E22 stock just about every connector type you'd need. 

JbDuFYQ.jpg

Teleios Fusion R/B, I'll be using this on the main cables then Teleios black for things like the LEDs, Fans etc. 

6zf1PcJ.jpg

18 AWG WIRE, they sent me 5 metres of the stuff.. which sounds loads.. but it sure doesnt look it. haha

d2rc2in.jpg

NhO852J.jpg

These are 3-pin fans so I intend to use a PWM switch and wire them all into that. I like how they have hexagons in the design. Currently thinking of using the 6th fan in the PSU and leaving the rear 120mm case mount empty.

6Gsgh2n.jpg

Stealth Combs Bumper Pack, should be plenty in there..

I'm hoping to get a lot done this week. I'll be modding the mount plate tomorrow, so that'll be the next update. 

Thanks for checking it out. 

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

3OCCGRs.jpg

UPDATE 2

Quick update. this is the R40's mount plate. The case ships with the blank plate but HEX GEAR offer a number of factory cut options if you want them

I did this with a hand drill, a Dremel cutting wheel and a few files. Think i need some new tools, haha..

phFuwz5.jpg

9qWdSgy.jpg

EFabdaS.jpg

Top port will be swapped out with a 90' fitting and a fill port. Maybe the same on the bottom port for draining. I'll try the middle with an LED but I'm not to sure how well light penetrates the X1.0 Oil black.

gbkQMLQ.jpg

W7UbEoH.jpg

i5VIVMY.jpg

Time to put the blocks on the hardware and start fitting it into the case. Still need some RAM for this one. I've not pulled the trigger on the second 980 yet either, I can't make my mind up.. haha. 

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

9NpqaH1.jpg

That front is just begging for an LED panel or a reservoir, to fill in the hexagons :wub:

At least that what I would have tired to do, if I had that case.

But it looks like it will still be a nice build.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

That front is just begging for an LED panel or a reservoir, to fill in the hexagons :wub:

A front res was an option, B NEG is doing exactly that with his R40 build IDORU, check it out HERE. For me, I didn't want to take the mods all that far. It's a sponsored build, I'm showcasing the R40. 

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

A front res was an option, B NEG is doing exactly that with his R40 build IDORU, check it out HERE. For me, I didn't want to take the mods all that far. It's a sponsored build, I'm showcasing the R40. 

J.

You mean the case comes with it as an option?

You mean the case comes with it as an option?

B NEG had it made (possibly by Hex Gear) or did it himself if I recall correctly. He mentions it somewhere in the build log i believe.

Hex Gear can make custom work on request via their website.

B NEG had it made (possibly by Hex Gear) or did it himself if I recall correctly. He mentions it somewhere in the build log i believe.

Hex Gear can make custom work on request via their website.

It was designed my B NEG and fabricated by Parvum Systems.

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

It was designed my B NEG and fabricated by Parvum Systems.

J.

Ah, so a custom option then.

Shame, as an case with a built in reservoir would have been one hell of a way to stand out from the crowd.

3OCCGRs.jpg

UPDATE 3.0 - DARKSIDE RADS & ASUS GTX980 STRIX + EKWB BLOCK

Another update with MODZERO FORTY, the mounting plate from the last update is in the case and I've a pretty clear idea on how the loop with work now. So the rads and fans are going in and the blocks are going on.

I still hope to go SLI as the second card is still available but it's looking unlikely. My 14 week pup managed to steal a tub of grapes which ended up costing me nearly £200 to get sorted out (grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs). So the SLI budget has been blown. However, there is still time. Something may land on my lap, I can but hope.

The RADS. Went with the Darkside LP range again, I needed <30mm rads to fit in the top and bottom chambers of the R40. I was impressed with the LP240's I used in MODZERO KIMKO and they are still priced really well here in the UK. Picked these up from MAYHEMS store. 

DarkSide LP240 and LP360

gAVp3gX.jpg

wajQMFE.jpg

zRFW0ze.jpg

ASUS GTX 980 STRIX

VJuAhNm.jpg

NZZ5bhU.jpg

zCZB2ne.jpg

I normally go with reference cards as 9/10 I'll be watercooling, which makes getting a block all that much simplier. So this was the first non-ref GPU I've had in a while. I found a great deal, so sold my original GTX Titan (some kid on eBay got a bargain!) and picked up the strix.

gQZ2ojN.jpg

kG50eLm.jpg

Under the giant cooler the PCB slims down and it's quite the PCB. Really like the custom 10-phase DIGI+ VRMs.

FiABgga.jpg

I'm using the EK Water Blocks EK-FC980 GTX Strix - Nickel and Black backplate. I like the little strix logo.

ed40U39.jpg

4XTmJmh.jpg

EQN8IK2.jpg

1f6JXjp.jpg

The block looks good, I don't intend to make use of the two LED ports. I did with MODZERO FOUR but as the coolant will be black, all the LEDs did was show off the mill paths in the plexi. The R40 has plenty of head space and as it'll be reverse the case lighting should do a good job lighting up the GPU.

So that's it for now. Sorry there are so many photos! :P I'll have mini update later in the week. I'm currently waiting on some last minute additional fittings from HighFlow and in the mean time I'll be starting my cables.  

What do you think, make the push for SLI or leave it as it is? It's purely aesthetic value at this point. This build will mainly be used to work from.

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

3OCCGRs.jpg

UPDATE 4.0

Just a little update, the mounting plate, rads and fans are in the case.. we'll most of the hardware is now in the case as I'm working on the cables. But I took these shots after I shot the GPU at the end of last week, hadn't intended to use them (hence the finger marks all over the front of the R40) but I liked em, so here we are. haha

BPE6GYb.jpg

9h6xKtH.jpg

x6RJMwn.jpg

I've got a couple ideas for the loop now, my initial thought (and I'll still try it) may be a little too 'busy' looking, so I have something I like more in mind. If I'm not happy with the loop using flex I'm ready with the hardline. 

X25f9bB.jpg

This is my simple but effective break out studio setup.. The lights collapse simple enough into a protective soft bag and the backdrop just rolls up.  the 'table' is just a length of old desktop that folds in half and I slide it under the sofa, the 'table legs' are storage containers that live in the cupboard on the right. 

The build is progressing well, I've started making the cables but sure enough, I ran out of wire half way into the 24pin. With E22 moving headquarters this week, I can't really do much more until I resupply. All being well I'd like to get the cables done by this time next week. 

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

Can I pay you to do me such a great build ? xD

Looks great man !

• CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

I'd love to be able to take those sort of pictures.. man they look great! Even with fingerprints and all :)

Thanks buddy, I'm no photographer, I use my partners SLT camera, had no idea how to use it correctly at first. So I read up on forums and watched a lot of YouTube on the subject, I spoke with other builders/modders for input and slowly, I feel my skills are improving. I'm now looking to get my own DSLR with a couple non kit lenses to help improve things.

Can I pay you to do me such a great build ? xD

Looks great man !

Haha, If you're in the UK I'd happily build one for you. This is my first project to get sponsorship (case, modding materials) I'm yet to receive any hardware/cooling from the big brands as such. I'm not a wealthy man by any stretch and who can afford to buy and build 4-5 computers a year! ha! So I try and stagger the projects. MODZERO FOUR was a personal build (my LAN rig and first crack at a Parvum case) MODZERO KIMKO was a build for a buddy I met at a LAN (called KIMKO). This is a personal build with mostly recycled hardware from an older personal rig called WCFT03. I'll be starting a new build in a couple weeks called MODZERO JABBA, that's another buddy build, in a custom Parvum X1.0 (it's looking to be a great project!) then after that I'm hoping to build my dream PC. I'm in talks with Parvum and we're working on a custom L1.0 case, I'm hoping for X99, plenty of RAM and a couple TitanX's. But its a long ways off.

Thanks for the kind words. 

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

Haha, If you're in the UK I'd happily build one for you. This is my first project to get sponsorship (case, modding materials) I'm yet to receive any hardware/cooling from the big brands as such. I'm not a wealthy man by any stretch and who can afford to buy and build 4-5 computers a year! ha! So I try and stagger the projects. MODZERO FOUR was a personal build (my LAN rig and first crack at a Parvum case) MODZERO KIMKO was a build for a buddy I met at a LAN (called KIMKO). This is a personal build with mostly recycled hardware from an older personal rig called WCFT03. I'll be starting a new build in a couple weeks called MODZERO JABBA, that's another buddy build, in a custom Parvum X1.0 (it's looking to be a great project!) then after that I'm hoping to build my dream PC. I'm in talks with Parvum and we're working on a custom L1.0 case, I'm hoping for X99, plenty of RAM and a couple TitanX's. But its a long ways off.

Thanks for the kind words. 

J.

Hey

Well I life in Switzerland, so ist actually possible. xD

But at the moment I can not to upgread my build to WC or to such a nice case. (first i need to build a low power game Server) But if I have one day some £££ left I'll contact you :D

• CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

• 5 weeks later...
3OCCGRs.jpg

UPDATE 5.0 - Cables & Fitted Hardware

It's been a while but progress has resumed. I grossly underestimated just how much wire/sleeve I'd need and so promptly ran out.. haha. 

E22 were in the process of moving at the time so I put the project on hold and awaited a supply drop. 

lqd99vA.jpg

TRCPg2b.jpg

eEPFlG7.jpg

1yAiPYn.jpg

AFWz9pu.jpg

eVwdNU3.jpg

GGTWFJP.jpg

neBy0ot.jpg

So the loop is next, sadly it's looking like the second GPU is off the table (budget issues) which has messed with how I originally saw the loop being routed. Also KLEVV ram is harder to source here in the UK than an honest tory. So for now at least I'm making use of some RAM I had left over from MODZERO FOUR. 

dOZuOhv.jpg

I'll share photos of the cable management in the final shots, I'm pleased with how it's looking back there but seeing as I'll have to unplug most of it when I fill the loop (lost my old trusty PSU I use to run the pump when I'm filling) I'm hoping to improve it a little more. 

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

This is looking rad as hell dude! 

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS