[Build Log] MODZERO FORTY - HEXGEAR R40 (Finished 3rd Dec)

MODZERO

This is looking rad as hell dude! 

all the parts look great, very slick!

Thanks guys.

looking real good and great pictures!

regarding the ram only www.m2m-direct.Co.uk Amazon UK and novatech sell them in the UK. 

I'd never heard of m2m I'll check them out thanks. Novatech only hold stock of the 'fit' sku (no thanks..) and Amazon UK didn't hold enough stock of the Urbane range the three times I was in a position to buy it. I reached out to Klevv, but had no luck this time around. Firmly believe they offer some of the best looking RAM on (haha) the market. 

I start on the loop tomorrow. Final pictures should be up some time next week. I'm a little gutted I havnt been in the position to throw more money at this project but I'm happy with the current result. I've got hopes of a 'V2' some time next year, maybe a AMD Zen based build.

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

Thanks guys.

I'd never heard of m2m I'll check them out thanks. Novatech only hold stock of the 'fit' sku (no thanks..) and Amazon UK didn't hold enough stock of the Urbane range the three times I was in a position to buy it. I reached out to Klevv, but had no luck this time around. Firmly believe they offer some of the best looking RAM on (haha) the market. 

I start on the loop tomorrow. Final pictures should be up some time next week. I'm a little gutted I havnt been in the position to throw more money at this project but I'm happy with the current result. I've got hopes of a 'V2' some time next year, maybe a AMD Zen based build.

J.

No problem. other wise there is the posibility of getting it from German but that shipping.... :)

Seems M2M is a distributer, an account requires a VAT registered company. Amazon UK still don't have the stock I require. I found a UK company that 'appeared' to have stock at a great price but upon checkout they only had one...

It's still too difficult to get hold of. :(

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks, 

Little update, I'm not happy with how the loop came out so ordered a xflow 360 rad and some different tube. The rad is here and the tubing should arrive in a few days. 

This is how it stands currently, some of the shots came out pretty good. 

jOdb7mK.jpg

Still holding out hope for some KLEVV goodness, but I'm not holding my breath.

Check out my facebook and Instagram

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

That looks stellar dude, extremely clean.
I'm stoked to see what it'll look like when you install the new rad and tubes.

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

I fitted the new xflow rad and moved to Tygon Neoprene 1/2' ID tubing. I've redone the loop maybe 3-4 times now... I simply wasn't happy with the way it was looking. I had a BP flow indicator gathering dust, so I added it to the loop. At the pump RPM I'd set for normal workloads it wasnt spinning so up'd the pump speed a little and away it went. Then decided I didnt like the loop so drained it, tried again. 

I'm finally happy with the loop but for whatever reason the flow indicator stops spinning shortly after the pump kicks in (I'm still bleeding the loop). I can't work out why at the flow rate fine, I can see the tiny bubbles whizzing around. 

So now, I'm looking at draining it again to remove the flow indicator, which is a shame. I know they are pointless really, but I like how they look and works well with the builds aesthetic. 

Hmm..

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

• 2 weeks later...

Finally picked up some KLEVV RAM, I was able to source some well priced GENUINE 2400ghz 4x4GB. I have one kit in hand, the other should be here tomorrow. So this weekend I plan to drain the loop, attempt a repair on the flow indicator, install the KLEVV ram and get some shots taken.

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

• 2 weeks later...
3OCCGRs.jpg

UPDATE 6.0 - THE FINALE (ISH)

It's done, for now at least. The build has been running on my desktop for a few weeks. For one reason or another I wasn't happy with the original loop, so it's seen a few revisions. I went from the Mayhems Clear flexi with Mayhems Oil Black to Primochill LRT Onyx Black with Di-Water to Tygon Neoprene with di-water + Mayhems dark red dye.

I'm no photographer but do enjoy trying. I wanted to capture the build powered on with the way I have the LEDs set up. The two white Darkside strips are run quite dim as not to over power the Klevv RAM, they also cast a great shadow over the midwall (not that you can really tell from my photos... oops).

lJMo5l0.jpg

pg0yXvc.jpg

9NPUpE5.jpg

bkT33O7.jpg

3PUezWG.jpg

Ca2jbIw.jpg

OrKSAxg.jpg

I'm really glad I held out for the KLEVV RAM. Originally looking for the URBANE kit I really struggling to find enough stock in one place to fill all four dimms. In the end I was able to pick up the KLEVV GENUINE 4x4gb 2400mhz kit at a great price, SO glad I did. In the process I was sent some KLEVV URBANE by mistake. I'll certainly be putting that to good use soon*. 

So it's finished, ish.. I'm in talks with a company that can make me two new all glass tinted side panels. If that ends up happening I'll break out the studio lights again and be sure to share. 

I'm eager to get started on a new project, couple builds in the works. Hoping to reach out to possible new sponsors in the coming weeks to make them extra exciting. 

3yUVpLd.jpg

This wouldn't have happened without the support of E22 and HEX GEAR, massive thankyou to those guys. Furthermore the help both Nate and Hans have provided during this process has been amazing. Thanks Guys.

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

amazing build m8. Never thought I would think a hose build could look this clean. Pictures are pretty good if you ask me, not that I would now...

Thanks chap, I had the option to use hard tubing, I have the tube and fittings here, but it seemed flex was falling out of favour and so I wanted to make use of it again. The neoprene looks good, fits with the current line of EK AIOs.

I plan to rebuild in the case some time in the future, I may use this case for a ZEN build when AMD release em. but for now, I'm happy with how it's turned out.

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

Looks really good! I think the pictures are a bit dark, and a lot of detail are lost in the darkness.

The neoprene tubing came out really good, as did the sleeving and general cabling! Good work man.

Looks really good! I think the pictures are a bit dark, and a lot of detail are lost in the darkness.

The neoprene tubing came out really good, as did the sleeving and general cabling! Good work man.

Totally agree about the photos, for some of the shots, the light (or lack thereof) worked well. I just couldn't capture the case lighting with direct (ish) studio lights and when the studio lights were positioned non direct I couldnt tame the camera to capture enough light. It's all a learning process. :P

The Tygon worked a treat, thanks for the advice on that. Coupled with the KLEVV and dark red coolant it's subtle yet sleak. I'm happy with it.

J.

- AKA HACKJOE -

• 1 month later...

@MODZERO Dude I keep comming back to check out the pictures.. Can't believe how sexy this build is :) 

Got the "itch" again so new parts have been ordered for redoing my old build... highly inspired by your build here.

Regarding the Telios sleeving... how stiff is it? It looks rather soft but pictures really don't tell the truth in that regard. :)

Again awesome build!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2016 at 7:57 AM, NoobCase said:

@MODZERO Dude I keep comming back to check out the pictures.. Can't believe how sexy this build is :)

Got the "itch" again so new parts have been ordered for redoing my old build... highly inspired by your build here.

Regarding the Telios sleeving... how stiff is it? It looks rather soft but pictures really don't tell the truth in that regard. :)

Again awesome build!

The sleeve is spot on, I'd say the gauge of the wire has more to do with how 'stiff' the end result is. I can't remember off the top of my head, all the cables needed plenty of training though. 

Glad you like it chap, I had some issues with the coolant (weird crap had built up in the res) and at the time I was blaming the dye. So I had to dismantle it to remove the whole loop so it could be all cleaned out. Everything was stained and the gunk in my CPU block was insane (I've got photos somewhere) I made a temp loop outside the case and cleaned it all out (white wine vinegar + diwater).

Then I sat on the front panel (note to self, don't put a black panel on a black chair late at night and proceed to sit on it) which broke in half.. so for now it's got the original white panel in the front (black in the back). I removed the flow indicator and by doing so reworked the loop. Nows its using Mayhem black pastel coolant. I may reshoot it, I'm really happy with the new loop layout, but I don't intend to stay with the white panel and Hex Gear are sold out (new R80 case is coming out soon!!!) of all accent packs for now. 

When it was all in bits I had a moment of weakness and bought new BP fittings and a new res so I've every intention of moving to hardline in the near future. 

J. 

- AKA HACKJOE -

7 hours ago, MODZERO said:

The sleeve is spot on, I'd say the gauge of the wire has more to do with how 'stiff' the end result is. I can't remember off the top of my head, all the cables needed plenty of training though. 

Glad you like it chap, I had some issues with the coolant (weird crap had built up in the res) and at the time I was blaming the dye. So I had to dismantle it to remove the whole loop so it could be all cleaned out. Everything was stained and the gunk in my CPU block was insane (I've got photos somewhere) I made a temp loop outside the case and cleaned it all out (white wine vinegar + diwater).

Then I sat on the front panel (note to self, don't put a black panel on a black chair late at night and proceed to sit on it) which broke in half.. so for now it's got the original white panel in the front (black in the back). I removed the flow indicator and by doing so reworked the loop. Nows its using Mayhem black pastel coolant. I may reshoot it, I'm really happy with the new loop layout, but I don't intend to stay with the white panel and Hex Gear are sold out (new R80 case is coming out soon!!!) of all accent packs for now. 

When it was all in bits I had a moment of weakness and bought new BP fittings and a new res so I've every intention of moving to hardline in the near future. 

J. 

Thanks for the reply. Ended up having Mundi use paracord instead - should actually arrive today or tomorrow those cables :)

Would love to see more pictures. Both of the new hardline and the gunk :)

Very excited to see the R80.. hope it is no "just" an R40 made double size :) but with a few added features @p0Pe

4 minutes ago, p0Pe said:

@MODZERO All accent packs are in stock:)

@NoobCase - Psssst! http://www.hex-gear.com/2016/02/r80-full-tower-chassis/

I need more pictures! :)

Still look sexy as hell. Whats the rad support now? top and bottom 420/360?

See now in my optics you guys owe me those black anodised bars... ;)

8 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

I need more pictures! :)

Still look sexy as hell. Whats the rad support now? top and bottom 420/360?

See now in my optics you guys owe me those black anodised bars... ;)

Native rad support = 360 + 480 mm (60 mm thick), with 140 mm panel kit you can mount two 420´s :)

There are more pictures in the store page for them:D

10 hours ago, p0Pe said:

@MODZERO All accent packs are in stock:)

@NoobCase - Psssst! http://www.hex-gear.com/2016/02/r80-full-tower-chassis/

Haha, when did that happen? must have been the last couple days. I'll get a new set of blacks ordered then. 

@NoobCase, as for the gunk photos... here we go. 

xunO4LE.jpg

I hope the image is resized... and here is the cpu block.

zv6z83o.jpg

That thing that looks like a hair, wasn't... it felt rubber, no idea where it came from. haha

ks7prtW.jpg

Pretty grim huh...

The loop had been running great on di-water with silver coils. as far as, not gunk... but what originally I'd put down to a busted BP flow indicator (it never span) I would later uncover was down to the flow rate. You can normally hear when there is air in the pump but at some point between initial loops changes I must have done something as once everything was pulled out to be cleaned the flow indicator span like crazy... 

My guess is, the flow rate must have been piss poor when I added the red dye and for whatever reason it reacted with something else.. A good clean and they all came up like new.

J. 

- AKA HACKJOE -

That looks crazy!

I have never myself used di + silver coil. I have always used a clear premix (Either EK or Mayhems X1), and then added dye to that, and have never experienced anything like that with it.