Is college worth it? (US)

SirNumbers

Honestly I think me spending 200 grand on a business, (I have a couple great ideas) would be better then me spending four years of my life to get a piece of paper that assures people that I'm smart instead of actually proving it.

Me spending 200 grand on college doesn't guarantee me a job and happiness, but if I spend that on one of my business ideas atleast I could know I failed because of my mistakes and not just because the job market is so saturated.

Plus my uncles business is always available for me to have a job in and he's always hiring and expanding slowly but surely

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

At this point I'm not entirely sure it is, for example with technology, I'm sure a handful of certifications would be quite beneficial when applying for jobs, though employers will probably still care about a degree from college more..

And college can still teach you quite a few useful things, I'd recommend taking at least a few business classes and such if you want to even attempt at starting a company.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I don't know why everyone thinks you go to college just to have college credit, you kind of learn important information there....

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Honestly I think me spending 200 grand on a business, (I have a couple great ideas) would be better then me spending four years of my life to get a piece of paper that assures people that I'm smart instead of actually proving it.

Starting a business is really how you actually make a real living. My eventual goal is to do just that too. Don't think that you can do it without an education though. You need to know what you are doing to start a successful company and college is a great way to earn the essential skills needed. Even if you dont go for a degree the things you can learn will greatly help you.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Me spending 200 grand on college doesn't guarantee me a job and happiness, but if I spend that on one of my business ideas atleast I could know I failed because of my mistakes and not just because the job market is so saturated.

Plus my uncles business is always available for me to have a job in and he's always hiring and expanding slowly but surely

If you have full-proof ideas that will actually take-off, then go for it. College is worthless if you plan to just jump straight into a small business (unless you need a business degree).

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I don't know why everyone thinks you go to college just to have college credit, you kind of learn important information there....

100-200 grand worth it? :/

At this point I'm not entirely sure it is, for example with technology, I'm sure a handful of certifications would be quite beneficial when applying for jobs, though employers will probably still care about a degree from college more..

Just from looking at IT, I would say it is. Even entry level stuff requires you to have an associates degree (2 year degree) or equivalent experience, which is, you know, hard to get when you can't get a job in the first place. ;)

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

If you have full-proof ideas that will actually take-off, then go for it. College is worthless if you plan to just jump straight into a small business (unless you need a business degree).

Those are the words of everyone I've ever watched start a business and fail within the first year.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Can a buisness idea actually ever be full proof?

How the hell does college cost 50 grand a year for you?

I may have gassed it

Just from looking at IT, I would say it is. Even entry level stuff requires you to have an associates degree (2 year degree) or equivalent experience, which is, you know, hard to get when you can't get a job in the first place. ;)

Because logic lol

Require them to have experience to work, don't let them get experience because they have to have experience to be hired somewhere...

I may have gassed it

Damn lol, College for me will probs cost like $17500 a year for tuition alone before any scholarships and such.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Is college worth it? Yes and no. You have to have a plan in place, and do your research about your intended career, job outlook, and actually shadow/interview people in the field. 

I have a good friend with a Ph.D in Geology who started working for the oil and gas industry, and was promptly laid off after 1 year on the job. He was lamenting on FB today about being over qualified and how he should have taken a job flipping burgers some place.  

Another friend is getting his Ph.D in English, but he's an assistant professor and will eventually work into full tenure where he's teaching at. Both of these guys love what they do, but I wouldn't say it's the "norm". 

Do you need a B.S. or B.A. degree to succeed? No. You can do a lot with even an Associates depending on where you're at and what you want to do. Again it depends on the career field. Many employers will hire you and offer educational assistance if you agree to work for them for "X" amount of time after your classes end, so that can help fund your college if money is an issue. 

And it shows as proof that he does know it as he has documentation and a degree on the specific thing he is applying for in a job.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

First of all, what college are you going to? I thought my 20k a year was ridiculous, 50k is outright crazy!

In today's world, you need a college degree to be taken seriously. If you want to go into business, get a business degree. I plan on going into Corporate Law (Majoring in History, Minoring in Business) after college. The Return on Investment depends on how hard you're willing to work instead of partying in college. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

If I were you I'd ask family who has gone to college if it was worth it and family who didn't go to college if they are happy where they are. You'll probably get better answers there than on a tech forum.

I may have gassed it

My apprenticeship is 1400$ a year for the college portion, and I get paid 35,000$-55,000$ a year for the on-the-job-training.

I don't know what you're doing but college's are fucking you over, then again that might be a American thing.

My apprenticeship is 1400$ a year for the college portion, and I get paid 35,000$-55,000$ a year for the on-the-job-training.

I don't know what you're doing but college's are fucking you over, then again that might be a American thing.

I used ny slang my bad, by gassed it I meant I inflated it to try to make a point it's actually far off from 200k

holy fuck that's expensive

$~250 here

cheap as FUCK

-snip-

>free

Bro, it's not "free" you still pay for it (indirectly) through taxes. I prefer not having to pay for others' mistakes  ;)

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

College is going to make me 200,000$ after all 4 years, CANADIAN RED SEAL TRADE APRENTICE MASTER RACE BITCHES.

I'll make $40K a year after 3 years in college as a computer technician